OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
A hitter who knows what pitch is coming probably adds 75 to 100 points to his batting average on that particular pitch. A major league hitter who is ready for a specific pitch is going to at least make contact with the ball a very high percentage of his swings.

kingsholygrail

Slewfoots Everywhere
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
Yeah. Half the difficulty for the hitter is figuring out what pitch is coming and then responding to that. Which is also why the 3rd time up tends to be the backbreaker for starters because the hitters know, more or less, what to expect.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Yeah. Half the difficulty for the hitter is figuring out what pitch is coming and then responding to that. Which is also why the 3rd time up tends to be the backbreaker for starters because the hitters know, more or less, what to expect.
Very few pitchers in the history of MLB who could get away with a hitter knowing exactly what pitch was coming next. For example, if only Lopes and Parker knew Nolan Ryan was coming at them with nothing but fastballs. LOL!

Reactions: kingsholygrail

Reaper45

Jul 14, 2003
Los Angeles
I'm not even a basketball fan but that is crazy. RIP to one of L.A.'s sports greats. Never wouldve thought Magic would still be alive and Kobe would be dead.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
I'm speechless. Helicopters are so fricken unreliable.
http://www.ihst.org/portals/54/Flight Global Helicopter Safety and Losses 2017.pdf

In 2017, civil western-built turbine helicopters suffered some 147 known accidents, of which 44, about 30 per cent of the total, resulted in fatalities. These accidents killed 118 passengers and crew. In 2016, there were 172 known accidents including 50 involving fatalities, giving rise to 136 passenger and crew deaths. The year 2017 does show an improvement over 2016 and also over the annual averages for the last five years of 50 fatal accidents and 132 fatalities but it is not marked. Improvement, by this measure, is coming slowly. During 2017 there were no known accidents involving deaths to people on the ground although there were three accidents where people on the ground were seriously injured. In the last five years, there have been 10 known accidents where people were killed or seriously injured on the ground. These accidents resulted in nine ground fatalities and 20 people being seriously injured.

The western-built turbine helicopter fatal accident rate in 2017, at one per 500 helicopters in service, was some 10% better than in 2016, when the rate was about one per 450 helicopters and considerably better than in 2015 when it was one per 370 helicopters. However, this was still worse than in 2014 when the rate was about one per 560 helicopters. Nevertheless, on this basis, 2014 was the safest year ever for this class of helicopter and 2017’s result makes it the second best year ever. The annual average for the last five years is now one fatal accident per 435 helicopters in service.

Understand if you are going to be transported in a helicopter, just as in a general aviation aircraft, they are not as safe as commercial airliners. We are going to see more of these types of accidents as consumers will begin to migrate toward "air taxis" once they become available, and the demand is met by automotive and tech companies.

Sad news regarding Bryant. Good to know his wife was not on board the helicopter and his children still have their mother.

Reactions: BallPointHammer

Mr Tadakichi

Never Reads OP Before Posting
Nov 23, 2014
Holy shit, that one hits hard. A name from my childhood.

R.I.P, always one of the best.

Steve Zissou

I'll order you a red cap and a Speedo.
Feb 3, 2006
City of Angels
RIP Black Mamba :(

N1770.jpg

HeadInjury

Jul 30, 2005
He lived in OC when he played with the Lakers and used a helicopter all the time. That made me a little uneasy back in the day. Hundreds and hundreds of flights. It's not like being on a plane.

RIP Black Mamba.

kilowatt

the vibes are not immaculate
Jan 1, 2009
Not trying to speculate, but I live close to the crash site, and it was really, really foggy last night. I wonder if that played a part in anything.

SlimCharles

Kings & Sabres
Dec 7, 2011
Los Angeles
He was on the way to the Mamba Academy in Thousand Oaks for GiGi's game...

I'm so heartbroken for his family... RIP Kobe, Gianna, and the 3 others.

AzKing

Feb 4, 2019
Newport Coast, CA
There are certain names that extend far beyond the sports they play in. You think of names like Gretzky, Jordan and Kobe. They are bigger than life in a lot of ways.

It's hard to find a player in any sport that a sudden death would have such a global effect like Kobe's will.

Reactions: Raccoon Jesus
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad