OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Raccoon Jesus

Todd McLellan is an inside agent
Oct 30, 2008
I.E.
Man, this one hits hard. Still sinking in. Unbelievable. I don't think I've ever felt this way about losing an athlete personally, and my heart hurts for the entire family, as well.

I never could get my dad to watch any basketball until Kobe was around, since basketball season is basically hockey season. The combination of the Lakers rise and 2000 Kings really sucking meant we finally got to bond over some Kobe and Shaq and he ended up really latching onto the game until Kobe retired for his personality as much as his skill. The only times I think in the entire 2000s we were so emotional over sports were the Kings over the Red Wings in OT, jumping up and down on top of the couch, and several Lakers deep runs. Those are about the only phone calls we've ever actually made.

It's bigger than the game. Really, really sad day. I honestly can't even work or do much of anything else.

Alicat

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 26, 2005
Norman, OK
Bruins/Celtics fan here. Just gutted about the loss of Kobe and his daughter. The 2008 Finals were truly incredible and I will always remember him battling with KG, Pierce and Ray.

I feel the same way as I did when we lost Reggie Lewis.

Sending my thoughts to his family and the families of the other 3 on board. I also send my thoughts and condolences to all the Lakers fans.

RIP Mamba and GiGi.

ScoreZeGoals

Boooorrrrriiiinnnnng
Jun 29, 2010
Absolutely gutted. Kobe transcended basketball and was basically a god in L.A. RIP to Kobe, his daughter, and the others who lost their lives in that crash. My prayers to his friends and family, the basketball world, and Southern California.

Telos

In Byfield We Must Trust
Aug 16, 2008
Reno, NV
Beyond tragic, this news hits harder than any. There are few to none in this world that can be more synonymous to LA than what Kobe was. This one stings deep. Completely unexpected and unbelievable. I can't think of an athlete off the top of my stunned head that would be any larger, having played entirely with an LA team. There's no comparison.

Last edited:
Reactions: The Night King

The Night King

Mar 25, 2014
California
I'm still in shock over this news. His daughter Gigi also dying makes it so much more sad. They went together to a Laker game this season, she had a bright future ahead of her. Just tragic.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
We go about our daily lives and forget just how fragile life really is until it is suddenly lost.

kingsboy11

Maestro
Dec 14, 2011
USA
Not a Lakers fan and wasn't a fan of Kobe growing up, but man seeing the news today just breaks your heart. Players like Kobe don't come around often.

Little Psycho

I solemnly swear I'm up to no good
Feb 4, 2007
Non-Yah
I'm still in shock over this news. His daughter Gigi also dying makes it so much more sad. They went together to a Laker game this season, she had a bright future ahead of her. Just tragic.
She kept saying that she was going to carry her father's legacy and that f***ing hurts.

Jun 30, 2006
The way Kobe was with GiGi and his daughters, as a father this hits me hard. Can’t imagine what that family is going through right now.

RIP to one of the GOATS.

Papa Mocha 15

I love the smell of ice in the morning.
Nov 27, 2008
Hanging with Brad Doty.
This is just too much. Kobe was so intense when playing, I've watched his highlights, got to see him play in person at 4th row and he clearly was the best player out here. No matter what, he committed.

His family must be a wreck right now and I feel for them. Gone way to soon. As a dad I feel for his kids. I feel horrible for his wife who lost 2 people today. Just shocking and terrible.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad