OT: Other LA Sports: Dodgers, Angels, Lakers, Clippers, Rams, USC, UCLA, Fantasy, MMA etc #2

Status
Not open for further replies.

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
I'm actually willing to give it one more shot with Goff next year. I know they are forced to play him because of the contract. But I would still like to see what he has left. A good player is only judged by how he comes back from a bad year.

BKIslandersFan

F*** off
Sep 29, 2017
Brooklyn
I'm actually willing to give it one more shot with Goff next year. I know they are forced to play him because of the contract. But I would still like to see what he has left. A good player is only judged by how he comes back from a bad year.
They better somehow rebuild that offensive line and see how Goff fares.

He will NEVER be an elite QB but lets see if he can at least be a capable starter.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
End up? It still is Raiders town.
It is going to be interesting to see how things go as the demographics of Southern California continue to change.

I even saw an article where the Chargers moving to London was being discussed. That would be a lot of long road trips for them when they rotated to play the NFC West, even if the the divisions were re-aligned to put them in the AFC East.

Maybe the Galaxy will be able to sell out the new stadium in 10 years.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
They better somehow rebuild that offensive line and see how Goff fares.

He will NEVER be an elite QB but lets see if he can at least be a capable starter.

Rams don’t have a 1st round pick until 2022. I think they are in for several 8 to 9 win seasons. The offensive line lost a few key pieces the past offseason and some of the guys they were counting on to fill the voids have been injured.

Not sure why they committed a long term extension to Tyler Higbee. That one is a head scratcher considering Everett seems pretty capable.

Plenty of work to do.

How the LA Rams can free up cap space moving forward

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Well @Herby it was looking okay for about a quarter, then it was...
giphy.gif

Vamos Rafa

Jan 11, 2010
Armenia, California
Can anyone figure out how USC hasn't been able to be back to their early 2000s dominance when they were always the clear cut favorites to win the National title even for just one season? I mean this is Southern California. We have just as much high school talent as Texas. Florida, and other southern states.

Lt Dan

F*** your ice cream!
Sep 13, 2018
Bayou La Batre
youtu.be
Can anyone figure out how USC hasn't been able to be back to their early 2000s dominance when they were always the clear cut favorites to win the National title even for just one season? I mean this is Southern California. We have just as much high school talent as Texas. Florida, and other southern states.
Because they aren't cheating (as hard) anymore

SoCal has more MLB and NFL talent than other states, but UCLA is an undesirable destination. it's been a mess for decades and USC has been a mess since Carrol and co got caught

Reactions: KINGS17

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Outside Oregon and Utah, which develop linemen very well by coaching them up, the rest of the Pac-12 schools just don't have the line play to match that of the SEC and B1G Ten. Pac-12 teams are going to have to recruit the Midwest and Southeastern part of the U.S. more aggressively to get more talented linemen.

This can be done I believe because most kids these days seem to want to get away from home to go to school.

Also, the demographics in California have changed dramatically. Not as many kids are playing football. It is still pretty rich for recruiting skill players, but I don't think there are as many linemen type kids growing up in the area.

Add to that USC simply isn't all that anymore, the crappy TV contract and Pac-12 network, and many games being played starting at 10:00 pm or later east coast time, and it's a tough sell to get the best of the best to play in the Pac-12.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia
The punishments over Bush really set the program back plus losing Carroll. They'll get back there and they're starting to get back into form. While 8-4, they had a pretty brutal schedule and a lot of QB injuries this year and their bye week wasn't until the last week. They're still Utah's only loss for now. Really, the only disappointing loss was BYU. They kept the coach, which I'm glad they're letting the program settle and grow rather than trying to cycle through staff.

kovacro

Uvijek Vjerni
Nov 20, 2008
Hamilton, ON
What do you all think of Helton staying on? I’m not big on it but who knows what sort of options would have been available to them had he been shown the door.

Semi OT, saw USC’s men’s basketball team on the television last night versus TCU (TSN will show some college games here and there). They look to have some promise. I hear the recruiting class next year looks pretty strong.

What are their chances in the PAC-12 this year?

Butch 19

Go cart Mozart
May 12, 2006
Geographical Oddity
Semi OT, saw USC’s men’s basketball team on the television last night versus TCU (TSN will show some college games here and there). They look to have some promise. I hear the recruiting class next year looks pretty strong.

How is it possible that USC hasn't had a successful basketball team IN MY LIFE?

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
What do you all think of Helton staying on? I’m not big on it but who knows what sort of options would have been available to them had he been shown the door.

I think Helton is staying on because we haven't heard to last of the scandals at USC. The last thing they need is another one with the football program, and Helton seems to be running a "clean" program.

They may have looked at other options like Urban Meyer (he is rumored to have visited with USC), but he may not have wanted the job with the constraints that came with it (run it squeaky clean).

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
...and of course the Pac 12 cannibals eat the only team with a shot at the college football playoff. Some very good teams in the Pac 12, just no great teams.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Baylor, playing their 3rd string QB, is trying to shock Oklahoma in the Big 12 Championship game.

kingsholygrail

Banana Split 1-1
Sponsor
Dec 21, 2006
Derpifornia

I think it's a good move. Fact is, USC can't have a constant revolving door of programs. I think he's taken the team in a positive direction and should be given the shot at another season with hopefully less QB injury problems. Programs need time to be allowed to settle and evolve. If he can't get it done after a few more seasons, then sure look elsewhere. Or if someone like Nick Saban suddenly wants to run the system, by all means jump on it. If Meyer had wanted it, I think Helton would have been politely shown the door.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Baylor / Oklahoma earlier today. Wisconsin / Ohio State right now. This is why you gotta love college football.

KINGS17

Smartest in the Room
Apr 6, 2006
Upsets can happen in college football, but I am looking forward to an LSU vs Ohio State Final. Should be a great game.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad