Other Hockey talk (NCAA, ECHL, AHL, KHL, etc.)

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
And there is a way you can watch every league listed in the title online
NCAA is available on ESPN+ these days, which is very nice. I'm trying to catch back up with Clarkson, haven't been able to follow them much since graduating. Playing Union right now, though Union managed to get a couple of goals on a major penalty, so they're down 1-3.

BTW, their top center, Zach Tsekos, wears 17 and is their captain, that's a good omen and we should totally sign him. Nevermind the fact that he's a 24 year old grad student.

mikeyfan

Dec 27, 2018
Clarkson = one of the Canes best Erik Cole

BTW. When did you play at Clarkson? I was wondering if you played with or knew a defenseman by the name of John Bolinger ( I think that was his last name). I played roller hockey with John in Panama City. He was a great individual

cptjeff

Reprehensible User
Sep 18, 2008
Washington, DC.
I played pickup hockey at Clarkson from 08-11. I picked up playing recreationally in high school (though I'd been skating a lot longer), in no way was I good enough for the D1 team.

Oh, and they came back to tie it up tonight, but lost in OT.

Nikishin Go Boom

Russian Bulldozer Consultent
Jul 31, 2017
Watching the ND vs MSU game. ND has taken over since going down 2-0. ND has a PK of 92%, 2nd in the nation. The announcer said he asked the coach about the PK. The coach said he models it after Rod and the Hurricanes. Aggressive and controlled.

got a solid shoutout.

geehaad

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2006
You think we could support it? I don't.
Pessimism is surely the winning bet, here, but I gotta say that the Canes have priced me out, and I’d certainly throw up some money to see quality college hawkey at their reduced price. Maybe there are a fair number like me who’d see more games in-person if it meant not spending $100 with each viewing…? Yeah, probably not.

I think an equally hopeless thing is adding another men’s varsity sport. What women’s sport would they add in-tow?

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Tbh most folks would be more willing to come out and support their school around here than a pro team. Much easier row to hoe.

I don't know the math, but I expect it's prohibitive. Where do they play? Where does the revenue come from to foot the bill? Maybe NCSU could pull an ASU and play at RBC, but in that case say goodbye to that UNC rivalry, because I've been in UNC's new locker room in Hillsborough, and they ain't making the jump.

I think this only happens if a wealthy alum drops a shit load of cash. I mean, never say never, but I'll believe it when I see it.

LakeLivin

Armchair Quarterback
Mar 11, 2016
North Carolina

We really need NCAA D-1 Hockey here.

That would be nice, but as an indicator of the resources being expended by "the competition", take a look at North Dakota's dressing room:

north_dakota_1024x1024.jpg

HisIceness

This is Hurricanes Hockey
Sep 16, 2010
Charlotte
Look I don't know how Arizona State is doing it but I don't think it's completely out of the realm of possibility. It probably won't happen sadly, at least not anytime soon, but damn it'd be cool.

On another note, Duke and UNC both play at the Hillsborough rink right? I'm kind of surprised with all the New Englanders and New Yorkers at Duke, that their club team doesn't have their own facility. Or maybe I shouldn't, I don't know.

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
Team Canada is warming up for WJC by playing USports.

Seeley is playing 2LD. Seems like he is a lock to make the team.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I don't know the math, but I expect it's prohibitive. Where do they play? Where does the revenue come from to foot the bill? Maybe NCSU could pull an ASU and play at RBC, but in that case say goodbye to that UNC rivalry, because I've been in UNC's new locker room in Hillsborough, and they ain't making the jump.

I think this only happens if a wealthy alum drops a shit load of cash. I mean, never say never, but I'll believe it when I see it.

Yep, honestly it would be most likely to happen at one of the schools in the area that doesn't really have a football program, in which case write off the ACC 4, plus ECU and App. Basically unless the school had a Pegula type donor that was going to throw down tens if not over a hundred million that's basically what it would come down to. The best chance of it happening was High Point, not sure what happened with their arena development or their plans following Covid. I mean, it's possible that say a UNC-G or the like could start up a program but logically speaking it won't be NC State, UNC, or even Duke that starts up a D1 level hockey program.

Navin R Slavin

Fifth line center
Jan 1, 2011
Durrm NC
Yep, honestly it would be most likely to happen at one of the schools in the area that doesn't really have a football program, in which case write off the ACC 4, plus ECU and App. Basically unless the school had a Pegula type donor that was going to throw down tens if not over a hundred million that's basically what it would come down to. The best chance of it happening was High Point, not sure what happened with their arena development or their plans following Covid. I mean, it's possible that say a UNC-G or the like could start up a program but logically speaking it won't be NC State, UNC, or even Duke that starts up a D1 level hockey program.

For me, the fact that it took a miracle to save the UAH program (and it still might not be saved) sort of made it clear what kind of commitment it takes to keep a southern collegiate hockey program alive.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
For me, the fact that it took a miracle to save the UAH program (and it still might not be saved) sort of made it clear what kind of commitment it takes to keep a southern collegiate hockey program alive.

To be viable I think it would take a number of programs in the area. Not just UAH and say High Point, but add in say a Kennesaw State, Tennessee State and/or MTSU (just the 2 I remember seeing rumors around at some point), and probably a couple other schools to make things really viable. Have a relatively regional conference to try to keep travel costs down and drive up interest in the sport. Even if you had 5-6 schools it would realistically still be a hell of a struggle to get it to work, which is a damn shame because it absolutely COULD work especially if some of the bigger schools wanted to get involved, but it doesn't seem like any have the desire or the financial incentive to do so.

AD Skinner

Mar 18, 2009
bubble bath
As cool as it would be to have big time college hockey here, club hockey in the south is such a cool unique thing that I wouldn't want to go away... I guess it wouldn't necessarily but still

Reactions: WreckingCrew

Nikishin Go Boom

Jul 31, 2017
For any veterans who didn’t know, vettix.org for event tickets donated to service members. Ive used it twice. Very nice for the folks / organizations who donate the tickets.

I say that because any of y’all Chicago area vets / can travel, the Thursday and Friday Wolves’ games have available tickets on vettix. First time I have seen them, that I can remember.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad