GDT: Other Games Around the League 2016-17 (Part II)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
The Ducks have a legit chance to win it all. It could be Kings and Ducks 2, Sharks 0. So much for the Ducks automatically screwing themselves by rehiring Carlyle.

Bizz

2023 LTIR Loophole* Cup Champions
Oct 17, 2007
San Jose
Let's not make any assumptions from this series, neither one of them are gonna make it to the final.

Negatively Positive

Mr. Longevity
Mar 2, 2011
Let's not make any assumptions from this series, neither one of them are gonna make it to the final.

Getzlaf is playing like a mother****ing beast. The Ducks' defense is completely healthy again. Nashville has looked very good but they're not world beaters.

Bleedred

Travis Green BLOWS! Bring back Nasreddine!
Sponsor
May 1, 2011
Looked like Larsson lost his man too, as usual.

That loser Taylor Hall has never even been in the playoffs tho. If that loser Ray Shero wouldn't have made that trade, the Sharks would have never lost to the Oilers in the first round because the Oilers wouldn't have even made the playoffs at all!

This is all sarcasm by the way. I'm tired of hearing about how Larsson is the biggest reason for the turnaround. And I was a huge Larsson supporter when he was in New Jersey and still am, but he's not exactly a game changer here. If Edmonton missed the playoffs this year, Chiarelli would be getting roasted over that trade.

I think they were a playoff team this year, even if that trade was never made. They had a 100 point player and the MVP of the league, Draisaitl had a huge year. McDavid missed almost half the season last year. They're getting goaltending for the first time in a decade. They got that goaltending last year too, it's not like Larsson's presence has made Talbot even better. He was not significantly better this year than last, though he did play a ton more this year.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
The Ducks have a legit chance to win it all. It could be Kings and Ducks 2, Sharks 0. So much for the Ducks automatically screwing themselves by rehiring Carlyle.

I still think he's a lousy head coach, but I always said they'd still make the playoffs in spite of him. I'm also not sure if Carlyle is really any worse of a coach than Boudreau. I'd say he is, I'm just not sure if it's by all that much. Boudreau is beyond overrated and has he ever really coached a roster that wasn't that good? Maybe the 07-08 Caps? Maybe?

Remember, Carlyle has also won a cup as a head coach. That doesn't tell me he's a good head coach, it just tells me that a coach with a really great roster can win a cup. Niedermayer, Pronger and Selanne certainly help things out. Bylsma and Hartley also won cups as head coaches, they were also worthless. If you can't win just one cup with Roy, Sakic, Blake, Bourque.... I won't count Forsberg, as he was injured during those playoffs.

Bleedred

Sponsor
May 1, 2011
McLellan: "I thought it was a hell of a game on our part"

Shots on goal: 64-38 favoring Anaheim

I was gonna let that slide, I really was. I wasn't gonna say anything, until I saw that someone else mentioned it....

And he continued to emphasize how great they played tonight, he went out of his way to do it. ''We played a hell of a game, we gotta do it again''.

He started to lose me here when he gave a post game press conference after the team got outplayed badly and said ''We didn't play badly at all''. I laughed really hard when I saw it, I never laughed so hard at a post game interview that wasn't supposed to be funny. He almost sounded drunk when he was giving the interview.

OrrNumber4

Jul 25, 2002
I still think he's a lousy head coach, but I always said they'd still make the playoffs in spite of him. I'm also not sure if Carlyle is really any worse of a coach than Boudreau. I'd say he is, I'm just not sure if it's by all that much. Boudreau is beyond overrated and has he ever really coached a roster that wasn't that good? Maybe the 07-08 Caps? Maybe?

Remember, Carlyle has also won a cup as a head coach. That doesn't tell me he's a good head coach, it just tells me that a coach with a really great roster can win a cup. Niedermayer, Pronger and Selanne certainly help things out. Bylsma and Hartley also won cups as head coaches, they were also worthless. If you can't win just one cup with Roy, Sakic, Blake, Bourque.... I won't count Forsberg, as he was injured during those playoffs.

The bolded players are a combination of being so good that a coach can simply put them out there without much thought and independent enough that they don't need much coaching input. Players like Niedermayer and Pronger and Sakic will make the adjustments they need to make by themselves. Those players are so good that they can lead and carry a whole team. The coach mostly has to get out of the way.

Carlyle has that a little bit with Anaheim in that Getzlaf and Perry have shown in the past that they can make those adjustments. But, the team is generally lacking in talent, and Getzlaf and Perry aren't going to be able to lead/carry their team.

Just hypothesizing here, but Carlyle's been frequently criticized for not preparing his players enough. Maybe that's a symptom of having won with a team that didn't need much preparation?

Sysreq

Apr 9, 2015
If Anaheim wins this next game, do we count it as T-Macs second career reverse sweep?

ChubbChubby

Using tilt controls!
Nov 28, 2009
San Francisco, CA
I thought the Ducks lost so I bailed in the third. Decided to watch some NHL Tonight while I ate something at 2AM and found out the Ducks actually won?! Holy crap.

Juxtaposer

Outro: Divina Comedia
Dec 21, 2009
Bay Area
If Anaheim wins this next game, do we count it as T-Macs second career reverse sweep?

Of course. Losing four straight after being up 2-0 is just as bad as losing four straight after being up 3-0. People just for some reason act like it isn't. The Blues got reverse swept after being up 2-0 in 2014 as well but no one remembers that.

Barrie22

Shark fan in hiding
Aug 11, 2009
ontario
Of course. Losing four straight after being up 2-0 is just as bad as losing four straight after being up 3-0. People just for some reason act like it isn't. The Blues got reverse swept after being up 2-0 in 2014 as well but no one remembers that.

Losing 4 straight no matter the situation is bad. Agreed.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Finland vs Norway
    Finland vs Norway
    Wagers: 1
    Staked: $300.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Slovakia vs USA
    Slovakia vs USA