Other domestic leagues 2020/21

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
What do you think of Antwerp's level this season?

Watched their defeat against Olympiacos last night, and they sure have players on paper in their attack who should do well in the Belgian league, even if some of them didn't live up to their early promise. Of course who knows how they will gel as the season goes on. Jonathan Eggestein, Viktor Fischer, Samatta, Frey. Engels, Verstraete, Gerkens, Butez, lots of guys in their prime years, some with experience at higher level leagues. And then veterans like De Laet, Nainggolan, Haroun. I'd thought they should do well, even if not quite challenge for the title, but they have had rather mediocre start to the season in the league.

Is their win against Standard Liege more indicative of their ability, or the two home losses against lesser name clubs?

I'm with you, I'm also not sure what to make of them just yet.
They have really invested in squad depth over the summer, both in experienced players such as Nainggolan but also in talented prospects such as Genk's Pierre Dwomoh or Alhassan Yussuf who I really like. It'll take some time to come together because not only did they get like 10+ new players, they also have a new coach, so as expected they're very up and down so far. They have at times looked very good going forward, but they're also giving up a LOT of chances which is starting to get a bit worrying.
On paper I would say they have the 3rd best squad, after Brugge and Genk, and they should definitely be able to push those teams. If they finish close to them by seasons end, who knows what can happen in the playoffs.

Reactions: gary69

JimboA

Dec 9, 2012
Sweden
Hard not to root for this goalkeeper. Had double concussions and had to put his career on hold so he started to study medicine. Is also a big fan of Dostoyevsky and James Baldwin. Was 3rd choice going in to the season but has been doing very well. He is still just 23 so let’s see what the future holds.

Reactions: AB13

KlausJopling

Feb 17, 2003
CT
Visit site
This is the 60 year old Vice President of Suriname. He played last night in a CONCACAF club game against a team from Honduras. He was subbed off in the 54th minute. He can’t play in the second leg in Honduras because Interpol has an arrest warrant out for him on drug charges.

CONCACAF actually just came down relatively hard on this. Both teams expelled from the completion and Brunswjick banned from concacaf completions for 3 years.

Reactions: Pavel Buchnevich

sabremike

Friend To All Giraffes And Lindy Ruff
Aug 30, 2010
Brewster, NY

But the good news for this guy is that it took place in Brazil which uses Pride rules (kicking a downed opponent in the head is legal) so he won't face any charges.

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
So, what about Standard Liege's 20-year old forward Abdoul Tapsoba? Has started his national team career great for Burundi, 4 goals in 5 matches. Is he good enough to do well for Standard Liege, has a couple of goals for them so far in about 20 games. Not a great rate, but maybe he can really take off now?

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
So, what about Standard Liege's 20-year old forward Abdoul Tapsoba? Has started his national team career great for Burundi, 4 goals in 5 matches. Is he good enough to do well for Standard Liege, has a couple of goals for them so far in about 20 games. Not a great rate, but maybe he can really take off now?

So far, I don't see it. Was pretty bad every time I saw him last season, and has barely played this season. Looked kinda dumb in his decision making, not really that skilled either.

Reactions: gary69

gary69

Sep 22, 2004
Then and there
Not a large sample, just a few recent matches, but Tabsoba's best abilities seemed to be a good first touch and being able to get a decent shot off quickly. He also seemed to find space regualarly, drifting away from defenders at the right time. Playing wider (although coming in the centre at times) alongside a big CF seemed to bring the best out of him. So more of 2nd striker rather than leading a line. Not nearly as skillful and noticable than Issa Kabore who was playing on the other flank.

Defensively, Tabsoba didn't do much pressing or defensive work at all, but it wasn't really needed as Burkina Faso had so much possession and easily won the ball back every time.

Savi

Dec 3, 2006
Bruges, Belgium
In other Belgian football news, today our government announced a new tax increase for football players and clubs. Until today, players basically faced a similar tax rate as normal, working people, but the government put an end to that which means the highest payed players especially will see a huge increase. For instance, Simon Mignolet has the highest wage of any player in the Belgian League. Last year he had to pay about €11k in taxes, next year he will probably owe close to a million :skeptic:
I think this could probably have a huge effect on the top teams such as Club Brugge in their ability to sign high profile players, and in the long run make our clubs less able to be competitive in Europe.

maclean

Jan 4, 2014
The Slovak league just saw a huge battle during a game between Spartak Trnava and Slovan Bratislava - ultras groups stormed the field and had an old-fashioned brawl...

As we're on a hockey forum, worth mentioning that Marián Gáborík was at the game and posted a highly critical reaction to the debacle on Instagram

Pavel Buchnevich

Drury and Laviolette Must Go
Dec 8, 2013
New York
A crazy incident happened in USL (American second division) this weekend. A team that was behind scored, the goalkeeper tries to hold onto the ball, while the other team wants to grab it and place it at the center circle immediately. A player on the team that scored punches the goalkeeper. Both players end up being red-carded. After the game, the team that the goalkeeper plays for filed a police report as the goalkeeper is only 15 and the guy that punched him is 28.

PanniniClaus

Oct 12, 2006
A crazy incident happened in USL (American second division) this weekend. A team that was behind scored, the goalkeeper tries to hold onto the ball, while the other team wants to grab it and place it at the center circle immediately. A player on the team that scored punches the goalkeeper. Both players end up being red-carded. After the game, the team that the goalkeeper plays for filed a police report as the goalkeeper is only 15 and the guy that punched him is 28.
15 year old keeper. yikes,.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
In other Belgian football news, today our government announced a new tax increase for football players and clubs. Until today, players basically faced a similar tax rate as normal, working people, but the government put an end to that which means the highest payed players especially will see a huge increase. For instance, Simon Mignolet has the highest wage of any player in the Belgian League. Last year he had to pay about €11k in taxes, next year he will probably owe close to a million :skeptic:
I think this could probably have a huge effect on the top teams such as Club Brugge in their ability to sign high profile players, and in the long run make our clubs less able to be competitive in Europe.

$11k wtf! Is Belgium some tax haven I didn’t know about!?

TheMoreYouKnow

May 3, 2007
38° N 77° W
I know that in the past (not sure about now) a lot of German top earners working in Cologne or Düsseldorf lived in Belgium close to the border and commuted for tax reasons.

Eye of Ra

Grandmaster General of the International boards
Nov 15, 2008
Malmö, Sweden
Screenshot-19.png

Swedish league right now

luiginb

Aug 23, 2007
Barcelona
Galatasaray beat Gaziantep today in a match where they didn't shine, but scored two nice goals and defended well. Terim's chair isn't as hot as it was before the match but there are clearly problems at the team. Morutan scored their first goal today with a great strike but didn't even celebrate it.

Reactions: Power Man

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad