OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

bl02

Jan 13, 2014
Best rookie class in the NFL. they have done their part this year for sure.

ASmileyFace

Landeskog Replacement
Feb 13, 2014
9,318'
Broncos are at .500 with a relatively weak schedule left. Could they make the playoffs? I haven't watched more than 30 minutes of broncos football all year long so I really have no idea. Based on what I was reading in here and elsewhere online I would have thought they would be contending for a top 3 pick.

Kschey

Avs/BorussiaDortmund
Jul 4, 2010
Broncos are at .500 with a relatively weak schedule left. Could they make the playoffs? I haven't watched more than 30 minutes of broncos football all year long so I really have no idea. Based on what I was reading in here and elsewhere online I would have thought they would be contending for a top 3 pick.

Nobody expected them to beat the Chargers and Steelers back to back. Since then and because of the weak schedule as you said, I was hoping they'd be able to somehow make it happen.
With Harris out for the rest of the year I think they're pretty much done, though. Roby, Brock, Yiadom all have been struggling and that was with Harris on the other side for most of the snaps.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
They have the Niners, Browns, Raiders, and Chargers left.

Even with the injuries today, they should be able to take out those first three teams. The Chargers are tougher but the game is here and the Broncos already beat them in LA.

Hasbro

Family Friend
Sponsor
Apr 1, 2004
South Rectangle
My ignorant opinion om baseball, but how are the Rockies Not all over a trade for Realmuto? They've never had a good catcher, they need offense and a catcher helps the pitching stay too.

Pokecheque

I’ve been told it’s spelled “Pokecheck”
Sponsor
Aug 5, 2003
The Flatlands
www.armoredheadspace.com
My ignorant opinion om baseball, but how are the Rockies Not all over a trade for Realmuto? They've never had a good catcher, they need offense and a catcher helps the pitching stay too.

Oh they've had good catchers, but they just can't wait to get rid of 'em. Jeff Reed was no superstar but was far and away the best option they had while guys like Kurt Manwaring stumbled and fell (and the Rox inexplicably LOVED him). Brent Mayne was not only a great catcher, he won them a game AS A PITCHER. O'Dud said in interviews later that deal was prompted by the Rockies' genius owners who decided they wanted to save a couple bucks and also rush still-developing Ben Petrick into a starting position. We all know what happened next: The entire team gave up in protest, plummeted down the standings, and Petrick was later diagnosed with Parkinson's Disease and was forced to retire. That whole fiasco there is why I still think that despite the upswing the franchise is currently on that Monfort is a horrible owner.

As for Realmuto, yeah, get him. I'm not at all sold on what they got right now.

ABasin

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Dec 4, 2002
While I agree that the playoff selection system is broken, UCF is not worthy of a top 4 selection. In their run their best win was last year again Auburn, who was completely unmotivated due to being left out if the top 4 last season.

Other than that, they've beaten Memphis 3 times, Cinny a couple and that's really the only notable teams.

And for arguments sake who's spot so you think they should have? Alabama, Clemson and ND, all undefeated as well with much harder schedules. So that leaves Oklahoma and Ohio St. Oklahoma has multiple wins over ranked opponents, only loss by 3 pts to highly ranked Texas which they avenged in the title game. Ohio St multiple wins against ranked teams, the thing that hurts their chances is a bad loss to Purdue.

It's the same story every year for smaller conference schools. They just don't play anyone. You give Alabama UCFs schedule and they'd look like the greatest team ever assembled. Where if you give UCF Bamas schedule they are 3+ loss team.

I wish there was a feasible way to accommodate the smaller conference schools but their really isn't unless your expand the playoffs to a bigger number like 8 or even 16. Then throw in to of that the NCAA is still a business and bottom line is making money, small schools aren't making the playoff with it being 4 teams, they can't generate the money necessary. It's sad but true.

Well, we'll see I suppose. UCF has LSU in the Fiesta Bowl, and LSU's a real team. Same thing with last year - Auburn was a real team, and UCF beat them. I do disagree with your assessment of UCF-Auburn. Auburn was a real ranked team from a very good conference, and UCF beat them in the bowl game. Can't cherry pick results like that, count some games, not others.

In the end, if small conference teams have zero chance to play in the championship (which I believe to be the case), then just say that up front and be done with it.

henchman21

Mr. Meeseeks
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2012
Well, we'll see I suppose. UCF has LSU in the Fiesta Bowl, and LSU's a real team. Same thing with last year - Auburn was a real team, and UCF beat them. I do disagree with your assessment of UCF-Auburn. Auburn was a real ranked team from a very good conference, and UCF beat them in the bowl game. Can't cherry pick results like that, count some games, not others.

In the end, if small conference teams have zero chance to play in the championship (which I believe to be the case), then just say that up front and be done with it.

If UCF finds a way to beat LSU, I think the calls for an expanded 8 team playoff with a G5 champ will be too great for the NCAA to completely ignore.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver

Not cherry picking results, there is no denying they beat Auburn last year. But I'm not going to sit here and tell you that was Auburn's best effort. I watched that whole game, and that team was going through the motions, at best. Still doesn't defeat the fact that UCF won.

The only chance a small school will ever have, is if they load up their out of conference schedule with top tier teams. Cause they suffer when their best win this year is either Memphis or Pittsburgh. It's very clear that it's not about winning every game, but who you play and beat. This year UCF got hurt by the fact that there were 3 undefeated top tier schools. Had there only been 1 maybe they do get a shot .

The other option which I feel they will have to eventually move towards is expending the playoffs to 8 teams. And put a requirement that at least one non power 5 school must be included. Because every year you get that one mid level team that claims they can hang with the big boys due to their record. Then these teams will get their shot at the Alabama's of the world.

Last edited:

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
That explains SO very much.

I hope that's not a dig on George Sr....George Sr was one of my favorite presidents of all time...George Jr on the other hand - not so much.

But I think it does explain how Joe Ellis got his job....I could never figure out how Ellis got to the level he is at.....I think it's one of those entitlement deals.

The Abusement Park

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jan 18, 2016
I hope that's not a dig on George Sr....George Sr was one of my favorite presidents of all time...George Jr on the other hand - not so much.

My dad worked for George Sr. during his presidency. Loved him, and everything I've heard about him seems like he was a super good guy as well as a good president.

Babel Salamander

Oct 9, 2017
Anyone think Malone is the next Colorado based coach to get the boot? Nuggets are playing super bad.

Still think so? Sorry, sometimes it's fun to poke fun at reactionary posts. Granted, the Nuggets did have a really concerning 1-6 stretch when you posted this, but they have been 15-1 outside of that stretch. They just beat the Raptors who have the best record on the NBA on the road, and the also have road wins against the Clippers (tied at #1 record wise in the West with the Nuggets), the Thunder (the #3 west), and Trailblazers. This is a notably different pattern than other Nuggets teams.

BTW the top 3 teams in the West 1/4 of the way through the season are the Nuggets, Clippers and Thunder. There is an oddly abundant amount of parity in the NBA 1/4 of the way through the season in a usually top heavy league. I expect the top heavy nature to show up eventually but it's nice to see while it lasts.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad