OT: Other Colorado Sports: Broncos, Nuggets, Rockies...II

Status
Not open for further replies.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
lmao imagine going through 17 weeks of professional games to end up with that display as the pinnacle. Just another reminder as to why hockey produces the greatest championship in sports.
I mean, yeah this game sucked but it's not like it defines the sport. Last year's Super Bowl was one of the best I've ever seen, whereas something like the 2016 Cup Finals between Pittsburgh and San Jose was an epic display of extremely boring hockey.

Every sport has its duds.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I mean, yeah this game sucked but it's not like it defines the sport. Last year's Super Bowl was one of the best I've ever seen, whereas something like the 2016 Cup Finals between Pittsburgh and San Jose was an epic display of extremely boring hockey.

I think the problem with the NFL is that it is a deteriorating product. Last year's Super Bowl felt more like an outlier than this years.

Anyone who watched NFL all season watched a meh product sans maybe 6-8 teams that were decent. The storylines were predictable, unfortunately the big games feel fixed, at the end of the day the NFL went out of their way to make sure New England won, with some questionable reffing at the right times.

Watch no further than a team like the Bears. Trubisky is a train wreck at QB, but yet his team ran away with the division and was expected to make a deep run in the playoffs. Only to lose to a middle of the road Philly team at home with a half injured backup QB leading the way. KC another great example, best QB in the league this year couldn't stop a high school team.

The league is just a terrible product that is only getting worse. That's why 40+ year olds, can play a shit game with a 70 passer rating in the Super Bowl and win easily.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I get it your a Pats fan and probably happy. And that's fine.

But only idiots can't admit that something is wrong when 2 of the last 4 teams to win the Superbowl were led by aging QBs who threw together shit performances in the big game and still won fairly comfortably.

The league as a whole is very watered down. Maybe 6 teams have a real shot at winning. Many games are ugly. There is really poor officiating league wide. The rules are making the game unwatchable. All the top QBs are aging. It's just a declining product, no matter what team your are a fan of.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia

But only idiots can't admit that something is wrong when 2 of the last 4 teams to win the Superbowl were led by aging QBs who threw together **** performances in the big game and still won fairly comfortably.

The league as a whole is very watered down. Maybe 6 teams have a real shot at winning. Many games are ugly. There is really poor officiating league wide. The rules are making the game unwatchable. All the top QBs are aging. It's just a declining product, no matter what team your are a fan of.

You can call the refs out for their incompetence all you want and I will agree with that, and the league has it's flaws, but what I object to is this false narrative that the league is pushing the Pats to win by screwing the Saints and two calls yesterday. If the league was out to help the Patriots one would think they would try everything to get them the Saints. Rams are a perfect team to limit the Pats offensively and they showed that, the interior pass rush of their's is insane, they have two cover corners who can match up with most guys and they are built to harras pocket passers like they did to both Brees and Brady. But naturally, everyone forgot Pats have a good D themselves and BB outcoached them like a bunch of chumps, leading to a victory. Nice to see them go full circle and put on a defensive clinic against the Rams once again. Offensive struggles were not great to watch, but watching the other team having their will squeezed out of them by the D was so fun to watch.

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
You can call the refs out for their incompetence all you want and I will agree with that, and the league has it's flaws, but what I object to is this false narrative that the league is pushing the Pats to win by screwing the Saints and two calls yesterday. If the league was out to help the Patriots one would think they would try everything to get them the Saints. Rams are a perfect team to limit the Pats offensively and they showed that, the interior pass rush of their's is insane, they have two cover corners who can match up with most guys and they are built to harras pocket passers like they did to both Brees and Brady. But naturally, everyone forgot Pats have a good D themselves and BB outcoached them like a bunch of chumps, leading to a victory. Nice to see them go full circle and put on a defensive clinic against the Rams once again. Offensive struggles were not great to watch, but watching the other team having their will squeezed out of them by the D was so fun to watch.
Be careful what you wish for, Saints sure as hell would have put up more than 3 pts .

That being said you missed my point completely. I don't care that New England won. Or how they won. As a football fan I'm discouraged because the overall product of league has gone to shit.

There was nothing good about last night's game, this false narrative about good defense last night needs to stop. If it was such great defense then how come the MVP was an offensive guy? Because they couldn't find a defensive player worthy of that honor. Both teams offenses looked beyond bad against reasonable defenses.

Tom Brady has 2 TD passes and 3 INTs in the entire playoffs but won the Superbowl. That's just truly sad. You can't tell me, that it's not a product of a watered down league.

I won't even get into the poor officiating league wide, and the terrible rule book that makes games pretty much unwatchable. Or the unprepared college kids that fail to ever make much of a difference sans a handful of guys.

It's just a bad product and has been getting worse over the past 10 years.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas

But only idiots can't admit that something is wrong when 2 of the last 4 teams to win the Superbowl were led by aging QBs who threw together **** performances in the big game and still won fairly comfortably.

A declining product? Tell me, do declining products once again have record revenues, have its ratings increase, and have their highest season scoring?

As for your other points (both in this post an another one): While Brady and Manning may be aging/aged when they have won their most recent Super Bowls, let's look at 2 of those wins: last night and Manning's SB50. Both of those games were defensive standouts. Manning and the Broncos don't win unless Kubiak puts his trust in Phillips and the D, and the same can be said for last night. There's more to football than just offense (funny how the last time I talked about football in here I was saying the same thing). Last night was a perfect example of a coaching chess match to go along with good defensive play. Unfortunately as the game went on, LA began to look like they couldn't handle the pressure of the game. But it's hard not to be impressed with some of their players (Littleton seemed to always be in the right spot to tip a ball or make a good D play).

As for you comment about KC having the best QB in the league last year and not being able to stop a HS team...you kind of just proved my point. Their defense was atrocious, and NE picked them apart (and had it been New Orleans against KC in the SB, Dennis Allen--NOLA's Def. Coordinator--would've picked it apart).

But the hot takes are fascinating to read, so keep them coming! :thumbu:;)

[EDIT]

I feel a bit bad, so I'll clarify.

I'm not necessarily saying I'm happy with how last night turned out either, because I'm not a "WHOO-HOO! GO PATRIOTS!" guy. I am someone who loves and appreciates great QB's and coaches, and damn it if Tom Brady and Bill Belichick aren't that. I'm someone who marvels at their continued display of dominance over a 17 year period because I don't think we'll ever see that again.

Would I have preferred to see KC against either NO or LA? Yeah, because I think it would've been a much more high-octane and exciting game from the general, everyday mindset that we all want to see high scoring affairs.

But for people who like to watch football, I think this morning on Golic & Wingo, Damien Woody summed it up--if you like football, and can appreciate the "chess match" that coaches have to go through, and good defensive play, then last night was great.

Here's an example that Romo pointed out last night--the Rams would depart their huddle after there was less than 15 seconds in the play clock because that's when communication in the helmets is turned off for both sides and it doesn't allow Belichick to see how they're lining up and give him a chance to communicate something to the D. That level of nuance is incredible! So then I'm starting to take notice of that to see if it's something that the Patriots D can stop.

Last edited:

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
A declining product? Tell me, do declining products once again have record revenues, have its ratings increase, and have their highest season scoring?

As for your other points (both in this post an another one): While Brady and Manning may be aging/aged when they have won their most recent Super Bowls, let's look at 2 of those wins: last night and Manning's SB50. Both of those games were defensive standouts. Manning and the Broncos don't win unless Kubiak puts his trust in Phillips and the D, and the same can be said for last night. There's more to football than just offense (funny how the last time I talked about football in here I was saying the same thing). Last night was a perfect example of a coaching chess match to go along with good defensive play. Unfortunately as the game went on, LA began to look like they couldn't handle the pressure of the game. But it's hard not to be impressed with some of their players (Littleton seemed to always be in the right spot to tip a ball or make a good D play).

As for you comment about KC having the best QB in the league last year and not being able to stop a HS team...you kind of just proved my point. Their defense was atrocious, and NE picked them apart (and had it been New Orleans against KC in the SB, Dennis Allen--NOLA's Def. Coordinator--would've picked it apart).

But the hot takes are fascinating to read, so keep them coming! :thumbu:;)
All you're doing is proving that people are dumb and will waste their time and money on bad products that have predictable outcomes.

And not surprised that the Pats fans around here are saying everything is great. Of course you are, you just won the Superbowl. That must mean the league is perfect.

And please stop this narrative about last night being a defensive battle. It was that way because both offenses were highly predictable and such utter trash. An offensive player won the MVP in the lowest scoring Superbowl ever. That's all you need to know about how the defenses played. In a supposed defensive battle they couldn't even find one guy worthy of MVP. So please stop this BS of great defensive game.

It was poor game end of discussion. The only people that will tell you other wise are Pats fans

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
All you're doing is proving that people are dumb and will waste their time and money on bad products that have predictable outcomes.

And not surprised that the Pats fans around here are saying everything is great. Of course you are, you just won the Superbowl. That must mean the league is perfect.

And please stop this narrative about last night being a defensive battle. It was that way because both offenses were highly predictable and such utter trash. An offensive player won the MVP in the lowest scoring Superbowl ever. That's all you need to know about how the defenses played. In a supposed defensive battle they couldn't even find one guy worthy of MVP. So please stop this BS of great defensive game.

It was poor game end of discussion. The only people that will tell you other wise are Pats fans

:biglaugh:

Go re-read my post and then my edit, Skip.

Declining products don't make more money every year, they don't get more eyes on the product this year, and they don't have league-high scoring this year.

Ivan13

Not posting anymore
May 3, 2011
Zagreb, Croatia
Be careful what you wish for, Saints sure as hell would have put up more than 3 pts .

That being said you missed my point completely. I don't care that New England won. Or how they won. As a football fan I'm discouraged because the overall product of league has gone to ****.

There was nothing good about last night's game, this false narrative about good defense last night needs to stop. If it was such great defense then how come the MVP was an offensive guy? Because they couldn't find a defensive player worthy of that honor. Both teams offenses looked beyond bad against reasonable defenses.

Tom Brady has 2 TD passes and 3 INTs in the entire playoffs but won the Superbowl. That's just truly sad. You can't tell me, that it's not a product of a watered down league.

I won't even get into the poor officiating league wide, and the terrible rule book that makes games pretty much unwatchable. Or the unprepared college kids that fail to ever make much of a difference sans a handful of guys.

It's just a bad product and has been getting worse over the past 10 years.

Edelman was the MVP because people who vote for that are morons, Gilmore was the MVP. You're whinging for the sake of whinging. And as for the Saints line about them scoring more points, we'll never know, maybe Brady hangs a 40 burger on that D if Goff could put up 26.

Also, the Patriots have a pretty damn good running game and have used it to beat both the Chiefs and Chargers, in addition to Brady having two 300+ passing yards games against those teams. Using TD-INT stats and completely gleaning over how the games were played and how else he impacted the game just shows how big of a strawman your narrative really is.

Foppberg

Nov 20, 2016
Summerside, PEI

That wasn't football, that was a joke

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
:biglaugh:

Go re-read my post and then my edit, Skip.

Declining products don't make more money every year, they don't get more eyes on the product this year, and they don't have league-high scoring this year.
First of all you posted your edit long after I made my response. So no I did not see it until now.

You all don't seem to understand that just because a product is doing well financially speaking doesn't mean it is a good product. It just means that people are too dumb to realize that it's bad. Or in this case it's a monopoly. There are no competitors. If you want football that's what you have to watch. No other options. Good product or bad that is your only choice. TV ratings for last night's game were a 10 year low, I'm not the only one who is becoming more disinterested in the game.

RockLobster

King in the North
Jul 5, 2003
Kansas
First of all you posted your edit long after I made my response. So no I did not see it until now.

You all don't seem to understand that just because a product is doing well financially speaking doesn't mean it is a good product. It just means that people are too dumb to realize that it's bad. Or in this case it's a monopoly. There are no competitors. If you want football that's what you have to watch. No other options. Good product or bad that is your only choice. TV ratings for last night's game were a 10 year low, I'm not the only one who is becoming more disinterested in the game.

I knew once the SB ratings came out that you'd finally respond, because you'd figure that you have a leg to stand on (btw I was editing my post, and finished it a mere 2 minutes after you responded to me, hardly "long after"...)

You're still not responding to anything other than the financial aspects. So let's take that out of the equation, since a simple counterargument to what I posted would be the rising cost of all things football (why am I even counterarguing for you?).

It still doesn't account for why viewership is up. If the NFL were such a declining product, their ratings wouldn't keep rising (Super Bowl aside, as I'm talking about the season's viewership). The Super Bowl ratings could quite simply be attributed to people not wanting to watch either team play. That would be a good/safe assumption for people not wanting to watch the Patriots play in another SB, and thus far, LA has shown to not care at all for football (I mean they seem to care marginally more for the Rams than the Chargers, but yesterday was a like a frigging home game for the Patriots).

You can't seem to point to anything supporting your hypothesis that it's a "declining product", other than viewership being down in last night's SB, which was also a low-scoring game, and being pissed off that Brady & the Patriots won again.

And LOL at lamenting that it's a monopoly. JFC, so is every other pro sport in the US then. So is the NBA, the NHL, and MLB. That's such a bullshit excuse to make to try and back up your claim of a "declining product".

At the very least just be honest with your feelings--you're pissed because the Patriots found a way to win. If it were the Rams coming out on top 13-3, I doubt you're talking about the NFL being a "declining product".

And honestly, it's all good to admit that you didn't want to see New England win, hell I have already said that I would have rather seen KC against either NOLA or LA (preferably LA, because we could've had a SB with 2 young gun QB's).

chet1926

Jan 9, 2008
Denver
I knew once the SB ratings came out that you'd finally respond, because you'd figure that you have a leg to stand on (btw I was editing my post, and finished it a mere 2 minutes after you responded to me, hardly "long after"...)

You're still not responding to anything other than the financial aspects. So let's take that out of the equation, since a simple counterargument to what I posted would be the rising cost of all things football (why am I even counterarguing for you?).

It still doesn't account for why viewership is up. If the NFL were such a declining product, their ratings wouldn't keep rising (Super Bowl aside, as I'm talking about the season's viewership). The Super Bowl ratings could quite simply be attributed to people not wanting to watch either team play. That would be a good/safe assumption for people not wanting to watch the Patriots play in another SB, and thus far, LA has shown to not care at all for football (I mean they seem to care marginally more for the Rams than the Chargers, but yesterday was a like a frigging home game for the Patriots).

You can't seem to point to anything supporting your hypothesis that it's a "declining product", other than viewership being down in last night's SB, which was also a low-scoring game, and being pissed off that Brady & the Patriots won again.

And LOL at lamenting that it's a monopoly. JFC, so is every other pro sport in the US then. So is the NBA, the NHL, and MLB. That's such a bull**** excuse to make to try and back up your claim of a "declining product".

At the very least just be honest with your feelings--you're pissed because the Patriots found a way to win. If it were the Rams coming out on top 13-3, I doubt you're talking about the NFL being a "declining product".

And honestly, it's all good to admit that you didn't want to see New England win, hell I have already said that I would have rather seen KC against either NOLA or LA (preferably LA, because we could've had a SB with 2 young gun QB's).
I could give two shits about New England and Brady winning. They won fair and square. Is that what you want to hear? No. Don't what else to tell you. Not mad. At this point it is what it is. They are well coached and find ways to win. Still don't like them, but they found a way to pull it off. I can say this with a straight face because the only sports team I give two shits about is the Avs. Sure I want the Broncos to do well, and would love to see someone other than NE win. But at the end of the day it's a just another another sport that is secondary in my books.

And had the Rams won 13-3 in the same fashion. I'd still be pissed, because that was straight up one of the worst games I've ever watched. It was a straight snoozefest. New England won because they were slightly less worse than the Rams. Defensive battle my ass, try inept offense and mediocre QB play against two average at best defenses.

You're right about ratings being up this year overall after two straight years of decline. But I wouldn't be shocked if they plummeted next year after the tainted conference Championship games and the snoozer SB. It's like all the good will they built up with better offenses, went to shit after the last couple weeks of games.

dahrougem2

Dec 9, 2011
Edmonton, Alberta
The Rams defence was great; however, IMO the Rams are one of the weaker NFC Champions in recent memory. They didn't scare me one bit all season long.

LieutenantDangle

Barry McKockner
Oct 28, 2014
'Merica
Fret not @chet1926 football won’t exist in 15 years. At least not contact football. It starts from the bottom and moves to the top. With class action lawsuits emerging and the age of contact constantly rising in schools, eventually there will only be flag football and that shit won’t sell.

Reactions: chet1926

Papa Francouz

Nov 25, 2013
Denver, CO
As someone who avoids football like the plague, I feel like the Super Bowl this year was especially nice because it was so boring that the people around me didn’t make any noise and I was able to take two naps throughout the whole thing.

Reactions: The Abusement Park

Bonzai12

Nov 2, 2007
Denver CO
Yeah - terrible performance across all fronts on the Super Bowl. However I thought SpongeBob SquarePants came through and really shined. That guy is so consistent. Very entertaining to watch.

famicommander

Aug 12, 2011
Even worse than that travesty of a Super Bowl, we lost Irv Brown yesterday.

True Colorado sports legend. North High three sport athlete, UNC two sport athlete, CU head baseball coach, Arvada High head baseball coach, Metro baseball program founder and head coach, NCAA basketball ref with six Final Fours under his belt, TV host, NBA and MLB TV commentator, author, 42 years of regular radio appearances with sporadic appearances over the last 3.

JWK

Report Spam @JWK on Twitter Plz
Mar 27, 2010
In a more important news

Harding dropped an important nugget in his article (Hint: TV deal)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad