Other Chicago Sports LXX

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I like how you cropped out the part of my post where I said it was okay for Sox fans to like the Cubs' rivals, too.

And my recent post about not actively rooting for St. Louis or Detroit as a Chicago point of unity.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
There's a meathead component to the Chicago fanbase at large, we just tend to not notice it in the single team sports in our city. Baseball is where we see that right in our own backyard.

But hey, at least we're not Philly or Boston fans.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
It's petty, and ridiculous, IMO. I don't cheer against the Cubs unless the Sox are playing the Cubs. I don't ever cheer for a rival of the Cubs, just because they're the Cubs. None of that petty nonsense makes sense to me. It's still a Chicago team, and cheering for another city over the Cubs, just because they're the Cubs, is not gonna happen, at least for this Sox fan.

I wouldn't say "a lot of Sox fans enjoy the Cardinals winning" I would just say it's the petty, immature portion of the fanbase, and that portion is likely not even close to a majority.

I don't actively root for the Cardinals or anything, I just find it amusing that Cub fans are annoyed. I couldn't have cared less if the Braves won yesterday. It's more of a " when it happens, it's funny" thing.

I don't like Cardinal fans, but I do like the way they run their team and think Reinsdorf should take notes.

The team I hate more than any other is the Twins. Not only are they perpetual losers, they're full of roiders.

Last edited:

piteus

Dec 20, 2015
NYC
Can we get away from this topic? It's not going to end well. Every fan base has its idiots.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Remember when the Cubs fans sold those "Ozzie moves my lawn" and "Horry Cow" t-shirts?

Let's not pretend racism is a Sox fan thing.

Wasn’t saying it was, we were just talking about Sox fans like that. I don’t remember those shirts, but I believe it.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I don't have a problem with fans rooting against the Cubs if you are a Sox fan or vice versa. I do it with my friends and they give it back to me and it's fun. But we can also separate that and talk about what either team should too or the strategy of the game. We are all friends, so it's fine, but we also don't over do it when it's a huge lose.

I think it moves into dickish behavior when you are just screaming into the void on the internet though and trying to piss people off, although I guess that's sort of the internets #1 utility these days if we are being honest. I like to get involved with discussions about what the Cubs should do in terms of offseason moves on here because I think it's interesting. But I can leave my Sox bias at the door when I'm having those discussions.

Reactions: Kaners Bald Spot

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Exactly, that's no problem at all. Smirk at the other team in the city being annoyed at rivals being successful, but the bigger factor in your head is that oh... shoot, Blues and Lions fans are happy as well when the Cards and Tigers are good. Darn it....

Not that it matters, Yankees or Astros are going to win the damn thing anyway.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I don't have a problem with fans rooting against the Cubs if you are a Sox fan or vice versa. I do it with my friends and they give it back to me and it's fun. But we can also separate that and talk about what either team should too or the strategy of the game. We are all friends, so it's fine, but we also don't over do it when it's a huge lose.

I think it moves into dickish behavior when you are just screaming into the void on the internet though and trying to piss people off., although I guess that's sort of the internets #1 utility these days if we are being honest. I like to get involved with discussions about what the Cubs should do in terms of offseason moves on here because I think it's interesting. But I can leave my Sox bias at the door when I'm having those discussions.
This. What the Cubs do this winter is the most interesting thing in baseball. Just so everyone knows, I'm not a petty troll or anything, I just find it funny when the Cubs fail and the Cardinals do well. I couldn't care less either way. The only time I troll Cub fans is when they start it. Lookin at you KBIB.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
As for the Cardinals, I have a healthy respect for them. I could do without the baseball police stuff, but they seam to be a well run team that overachieves with regards to their talent and payroll.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Exactly, that's no problem at all. Smirk at the other team in the city being annoyed at rivals being successful, but the bigger factor in your head is that oh... shoot, Blues and Lions fans are happy as well when the Cards and Tigers are good. Darn it....

With you on this, why the hell do Chicago fans want to see St. Louis Blues fans get another championship? If you genuinely like the Cardinals players, that’s fine but not just to piss off Cubs fans. I would think Cubs fans are below Blues fans on the hate totem pole.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL

I think Washington could give either of them a good fight with Scherzer and Strasburg. I'd love to see Scherzer/Verlander and Strasburg/Cole matchups it the WS. I'm a sucker for dominant pitching matchups like that.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
With you on this, why the hell do Chicago fans want to see St. Louis Blues fans get another championship? If you genuinely like the Cardinals players, that’s fine but not just to piss off Cubs fans. I would think Cubs fans are below Blues fans on the hate totem poll.
Roughly equal in my book. Even as a Hawks fan, I never really had any animosity toward the Blues that much until more recently. There was MUCH more animosity toward the Wings for me. A lot more. It's different when you live with annoying petty Cub fans who love to troll you everyday. (not saying anyone here, just my friends)

I think everyone outside of NY/NJ/CT finds Yankee fans annoying and insufferable. Mets fans do too.

I want a Nats/Astros WS for the entertainment factor.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I cant see how Dodgers can justify bringing back Kershaw after he choked again

Should Sox inquire about his services? He is great Apr-Sept so that would be great for us

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Roughly equal in my book. Even as a Hawks fan, I never really had any animosity toward the Blues that much until more recently. There was MUCH more animosity toward the Wings for me. A lot more. It's different when you live with annoying petty Cub fans who love to troll you everyday. (not saying anyone here, just my friends)

That makes sense. Chicago fans in general are much more meatball than St. Louis fans. St. Louis fans will shake your hand at the game if they lose. So I can see it. I think the Cardinals winning would only make the Cubs more aggressive to win so there’s that side of it too.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
As for the Cardinals, I have a healthy respect for them. I could do without the baseball police stuff, but they seam to be a well run team that overachieves with regards to their talent and payroll.
Yadier Molina is one of the most obnoxious baseball players in my lifetime, such a thin skinned guy

Reactions: OhCaptainMyCaptain

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Most Sox fans couldn't care less about the Cardinals.

The only team I actually care about winning the WS now is the Yankees. Can't stand the Yankees. It can be anyone else, and I won't care in the least.

I admire the organization

Maybe the best run organization in baseball

Hoping for an Astros vs Cards WS

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
That makes sense. Chicago fans in general are much more meatball than St. Louis fans. St. Louis fans will shake your hand at the game if they lose. So I can see it. I think the Cardinals winning would only make the Cubs more aggressive to win so there’s that side of it too.
I don't want the Cardinals to win to be honest. Not this year. It was more fun when the Blues were perpetual losers.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Reminder that the best run organization in baseball gets a free draft pick every year for being a small market.

Kind of a bit of a permanent easy boost for those guys when they actually have big market money.

Kaners Bald Spot

Dec 6, 2011
Kane County, IL
I like how you cropped out the part of my post where I said it was okay for Sox fans to like the Cubs' rivals, too.

And my recent post about not actively rooting for St. Louis or Detroit as a Chicago point of unity.
I can agree if you can add Minnesota and Wisconsin to the list. I don't have any animosity toward the Brewers, but It's the same when you remember that Brewer fans are also Packer fans.....

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad