Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIX: What awards aren't the Cubs winning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Say Hey Kid

Whole cell block was dancing to the jailhouse rock
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
Cubs

CUBS PLAN TO LAUNCH OWN TV NETWORK
President of business operations Crane Kenney told Chicago radio station WSCR that the club will launch its own TV network by 2020, if not sooner. Said Kenney: "2019 is our last year with Comcast, so we'll move over and launch our own channel in 2020."

KRIS BRYANT LOOKS LIKE CLEAR NL ROY
A panel of 24 ESPN baseball experts were asked to choose their NL Rookie of the Year, and the Cubs third baseman received every single vote.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Gsp lost to Matt Serra, fedor's lost a bunch of times, silva got beat at his own game. Rousy's legacy is already cemented.

Fedor and Silva, though I guess Silva may have been juicing, lost at the end of their careers. GSP and Ronda may have a similar legacy if she comes back strong, but we'll see.

Even GSP completely neutralized many fighters' strengths. Rousey doesn't have the standup to do that with someone like Holm and I'm very skeptical she could with Cyborg either.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
NL ROOKIE OF THE YEAR VOTING
Kris Bryant, Cubs: All 30 first-place votes, 150 points

Matt Duffy, Giants: 70 points
Jung-Ho Kang, Pirates: 28 points
Noah Syndergaard, Mets; 16 points
Justin Bour, Marlins: 4 points
Joc Pederson, Dodgers: 1 point
Stephen Piscotty, Cardinals: 1 point

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Bryant was a clear no-brainer for NL ROTY. Most obvious of the four potential major awards that Cubs could win (Maddon Manager of the Year, Arrieta Cy Young, and Rizzo with a long shot for MVP).

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
BC unis against Irish to mimic those from 1984
Boston College's Under Armour uniforms for Saturday's game against Notre Dame will mimic the ones worn by Doug Flutie during the famous Haily Mary game against Miami in 1984.

Although I want ND to win, I like this.

blams

LeGoat
May 14, 2015
Illinois
Due to Greinke having the best ERA plus since 2005, and being statistically the most clutch.... having the best war, he should win it.

But Jake Arrieta's stretch for the last 3 months of the season was so asburd I would be 0 percent surprised/annoyed if he won it.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Due to Greinke having the best ERA plus since 2005, and being statistically the most clutch.... having the best war, he should win it.

But Jake Arrieta's stretch for the last 3 months of the season was so asburd I would be 0 percent surprised/annoyed if he won it.

Jake won!

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
This was definitely the most difficult choice of the three awards won, but had a feeling that the Dodger vote would be split. Way to go, Jake!

Now, for the very outside chance that Rizzo could be MVP.

madgoat33

May 16, 2010
There's no way rizzo should be mvp. If he even gets a single 1st place vote it'd be a joke.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Doug Flutie's parents suffered heart attacks and passed away within an hour of each other.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Iowa fans already trying to talk up Purdue a little bit, you know, just in case they pull an Iowa. Man I just want them to lose already, but it's tough when your gift wrapped a schedule that nice.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
Iowa fans already trying to talk up Purdue a little bit, you know, just in case they pull an Iowa. Man I just want them to lose already, but it's tough when your gift wrapped a schedule that nice.

I'm telling you, the Boilermakers are taking down the Hawkeyes. You heard it here first.

Boiler Up.

Bulls looking good tonight. Up on the road against a decent Suns team.

Say Hey Kid

Dec 10, 2007
ATL
22 wins, a 1.77 ERA (second in MLB) and tossed a no-hitter vs. the Dodgers on Aug. 30. Arrieta had a 0.75 ERA after the All-Star break, the lowest in major-league history. He deserves it.

WHAT ARE YOUR TEAM'S CFP CHANCES?
Oklahoma may not be in the playoff four, but the folks at FiveThirtyEight ran the numbers and the Sooners have the fourth-best chance at a spot in the CFP. Behind OU, only one team has greater than a 1-4 chance to make the CFP, and it's not by much.

FiveThirtyEightCFP.jpg

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling if ND & OK win out, they're going to screw ND.

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec

I hope I'm wrong, but I have a feeling if ND & OK win out, they're going to screw ND.

I have thought the same. Then you would need Clemson to well, Clemson. Bama to slip up against Auburn or Florida, or the Buckeyes to lose, but NOT to an undefeated Iowa team in the Big Ten Championship.

I think this weekend will be very telling. I think Ohio State will lose against Michigan State (assuming Cook is honestly good to go), and I do think the Boilermakers have a serious shot of knocking off the Hawkeyes. Last week the Pac 12 died, and I think the Big Ten has a chance to eat it this weekend.

Back to Oklahoma though, it would still somewhat surprise me if they won out and got in over a one loss ND team. This is based solely on the fact that ND's loss is on the road, in the rain, against the #1 team in the nation, whereas Oklahoma's is against the pitiful Texas Longhorns. Surely that would launch ND over OK even though ND won't play for a Conference Championship?

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
1 loss Big Ten champ is in no matter what, IMO. If MSU is that they'll have beaten #3 & #5 in a span of 3 weeks. That'll be enough to get by an ND team with 1 less win...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad