Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXXIX: What awards aren't the Cubs winning?

Status
Not open for further replies.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
Unbelievable win. To survive baseball's version of Thunderdome, aka NL Central, to make to the NLCS is beyond my wildest dreams. That doesn't mean I want this dream to end. Just like the Hawks in 2010, I want this to happen badly.

It amazes me for as long as WRIGLEY FIELD has been around, this was the first time the Cubs clinched a series at home. Unbelievable.

Ok Dodgers/Mets, who'll get the privilege to finish runner up to the Cubs?

G0AT

Jun 1, 2014
Chicago
As a White Sox fan and a very jealous baseball fan of you team, I want to say congrats Cubs fans. The Theo plan has worked well, and I really hope Kenny Williams mimics it (He won't). :help:

I'm not cheering for the Cubs, nor against them. I will be happy for fans if they win, and if they lose I will enjoy that too. :laugh:

TorMenT

Go Blackhawks!
Sponsor
Oct 24, 2011
Rockford, IL
I think I'd rather face the Dodgers than the Mets. Considering our bats, I'm not as worried about teams with good pitching. I fear teams that have the ability to potentially outscore us, and I think the Mets have a better chance. I don't have the numbers, but just following all of baseball very closely the last few months, it seems like the Mets had no problems putting runs up.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Lamar Odom found unresponsive at famous Love Ranch brothel outside of Vegas

Rushed to hospital in LV

Really sad how his career and life seemed to fall apart. Thought he was gonna be a star when with Clippers

Eco

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Oct 7, 2013
Beaupré, Quebec
As a White Sox fan and a very jealous baseball fan of you team, I want to say congrats Cubs fans. The Theo plan has worked well, and I really hope Kenny Williams mimics it (He won't). :help:

I'm not cheering for the Cubs, nor against them. I will be happy for fans if they win, and if they lose I will enjoy that too. :laugh:

That about sums it up for most of us I assume. Happy for the city and my good friends who love the Cubs, but other than that, I'd be fine if they bottled it.

Elvis P

U aint nothin but a hound dog cryin all the time
Dec 10, 2007
ATL
After last night's 6-4 win, Chicago is four games from the World Series -- and the virtues of playoff maturity lie in tatters throughout the Wrigley Field bleachers.
http://espn.go.com/chicago/

Well written. ;)

CUBS FAVORITES TO WIN THE WORLD SERIES
The odds, according to WestGate Las Vegas:
Cubs: 5-2
Blue Jays: 3-1
Royals: 4-1
Dodgers, Mets: 6-1
Astros, Rangers: 12-1

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014

Well written. ;)

I see you've changed your tune from before the season, when you were dismissive of Vegas odds while predicting the White Sox would have a better season than the Cubs.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015

Well written. ;)

Don't really listen to Vegas myself.

The Cubs are the hot team. All the other teams are just OK. To me, the Mets and Dodgers are identical in terms of difficulty.

If Cubs make it to WS, they have home field correct? or would it only be against the Stros?

I think I'd rather face the Dodgers than the Mets. Considering our bats, I'm not as worried about teams with good pitching. I fear teams that have the ability to potentially outscore us, and I think the Mets have a better chance. I don't have the numbers, but just following all of baseball very closely the last few months, it seems like the Mets had no problems putting runs up.

Our pitching just needs to be timely against either one of them. I'm concerned about Arrieta, but I will credit that sloppy play because the wind was howling.

The Blue Jays waking up scare me the most I think. I think the Cubs can make quick work of the Astros or Royals and probably the Rangers (one trick pony, throw out Hamels and hope you win)

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I see you've changed your tune from before the season, when you were dismissive of Vegas odds while predicting the White Sox would have a better season than the Cubs.

Seriously, who cares? Isn't it a tad childish to be throwing 'I told you so's' from 6 months ago out? Man just enjoy your team's success.

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Also, we cannot rely on the long ball especially of the solo variety to carry us through the postseason. We need some people on base and I'd like to see an occasional hit from our Catcher.

Picking the Blue Jays, Astros, and Dodgers to advance.

This is my gut hunch as well.

The Rangers are the biggest pretenders in the playoffs. They don't really have Starting Pitching, offense is not scary at all, Beltre is old and hurting, Prince has disappeared, Hamilton sucks, their bullpen is really good with Diekman and Dyson.

Astros have a similiar build as the Cubs, just not as much talent nor power.

Blue Jays are scary. You need to control Donaldson and Joey Bats. Tulo (injured) and Encarnacion seems to have cooled off. David Price is a postseason headcase. Stroman is good. Unsure of their bullpen.

Last edited:

Easy E

Jun 9, 2015
Neither the Dodgers or Mets seem all that intimidating. I guess it would be fun to get revenge on the Dodgers though from 2008.

Pretty much, both of them are the Cardinals with worse pitching and slightly better hitting.

To be honest, the Pirates got screwed because of the 1 game Wild Card and I think they may of edged us out if it was a 7 game series. They were a scary ballclub.

If I had to pick, I'd take the Mets. Kershaw is a special pitcher and facing him twice in a 7 game set could be trouble.

Last edited:

00xtremeninja

(╯°□°)╯︵ ┻━┻
Pretty much, both of them are the Cardinals with worse pitching and slightly better hitting.

To be honest, the Pirates got screwed because of the 1 game Wild Card and I think they may of edged us out if it was a 7 game series. They were a scary ballclub.

pirates totally got hosed, but that just seems to be how the NL Central works this year. Great teams all beating the snot out of eachother to advance.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014

If I had to pick, I'd take the Mets. Kershaw is a special pitcher and facing him twice in a 7 game set could be trouble.

Mets have worse pitching than the Cardinals? What?

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Seriously, who cares? Isn't it a tad childish to be throwing 'I told you so's' from 6 months ago out? Man just enjoy your team's success.

Deliberately so, in a 'good for the goose/good for the gander' manner, which one may not get if unfamiliar with hawkman's comments from the time. My comment wasn't anti-white sox.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I guess it depends on how you are ranking them on statistical measures.

I was just looking at team ERA and Cardinals were #1

You realize their best pitcher got hurt like 3 weeks ago, right?

Their pitching as of the start of the playoffs is far worse than New York.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
I am taking the Rangers (really only because Hamels in on the mound) and the Royals today. Still can't decide on who I am going to take tomorrow.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad