OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVIII: Jackie Robinson West loses 8-4 to Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
If things continue to go as they've been going, the Sox will pick before the Cubs :laugh:

Just a month ago (7/26), the Sox were 3 under .500, Cubs 18. Hopefully they keep losing, except when they play Detroit.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Considering that many Bears fans still gloat about '85 as if it's still topical, Sox fans have this Cubs' fan's permission to still feel good about '05.

God only knows that I'd love to have a mere decade-old championship for the Cubs to fondly remember...

As a Chicago Sports fan its just the Bears who have let me down at this point

- Watched Bulls win 6 NBA titles
- Watched Hawks win 2 Cups + lose a cup
- Watched White Sox win a World Series
- Watched Wolves win 2 Turner Cups , 2 Calder Cups and lose a Turner Cup and Calder Cup

For Bears I am left with memories of Rex Grossman putting forth the most pathetic Super Bowl performance in history and a coach who just watched it happen "Rex is my QB" :shakehead

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The point's moot. Those top two picks look out of reach for both teams. Beyond that, it's personal preference.

At least at this point.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I think at this point, if the Sox can manage to get 6th or 7th that would be about the best we could hope for. I just don't see going any higher than that. Especially since everyone drops a spot because of the Astros not signing Aiken.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yep and we saw what the list from August last year looked like compared to what was actually drafted this summer. Totally different.

Which is why I said "at least right now"

Okay...doesn't really have to do with anything that was being discussed, I was just joking about the 2 teams records.

And I'm saying it really doesn't matter at this point. Especially when both teams want to see a sizable amount of players continue to improve, thus producing more wins.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I think at this point, if the Sox can manage to get 6th or 7th that would be about the best we could hope for. I just don't see going any higher than that. Especially since everyone drops a spot because of the Astros not signing Aiken.

I thought the Stros might lose picks next draft?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
There's a story circulating that there's a clause that could allow the Astros to sign Aiken still. But that gets followed up by talk that neither side is interested. The Astros apparently would rather have the #2 pick next year than Brady Aiken.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Bears... one hit wonder. Great one though but still only one.

The dynasty that wasn't. Indeed, 1985 was great, but there should have been more.

I haven't lived in Chicago since I was a kid. Do Chicagoans recognize what a crappy coach Ditka was, or is that blasphemy?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Oh. I didn't realize people don't talk about teams from thirty years ago :).

Nobody said that. But there's no point in crying about so and so sucking from 30 years ago. I think someone would have to be an extremely negative person to do that.

Coach Ditka is still revered, but I don't take it as it being because he was a great coach (because he wasn't). He was part of something special, and before that he was a damn good tight end as well. All of that, plus his personality turned him in to a celebrity.

I was at Arlington Park a few weeks ago and they had Ditka day...people were happy to see him.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
Nobody said that. But there's no point in crying about so and so sucking from 30 years ago. I think someone would have to be an extremely negative person to do that.

Coach Ditka is still revered, but I don't take it as it being because he was a great coach (because he wasn't). He was part of something special, and before that he was a damn good tight end as well. All of that, plus his personality turned him in to a celebrity.

I was at Arlington Park a few weeks ago and they had Ditka day...people were happy to see him.

Go ahead and take pot-shots at me, but you're pretty much missing the point. I didn't bring up someone random for the sake of complaining. My experience from when I lived in Chicago is that people thought he was a great coach, and wouldn't entertain otherwise. I'm curious if that's still the sentiment.

Sorry to interrupt the flow of unbelievably important topics bandied about in this thread.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
I think you're looking to be insulted where no insult was meant, hawksrule. He wasn't calling you out, at least not from how I read it.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Manure down 3-0 to MK Dons in the League Cup :biglaugh:

Saw the score and I was all "Why the hell are they playing a friendly 2 weeks into...ooh right, you have to qualify for Europe to start in the 3rd round."

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad