OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVIII: Jackie Robinson West loses 8-4 to Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
The Sox have not had a 100 year reign of superiority over the Cubs. 2005 was huge for them, but other than that neither organization has had much to brag about for a long time.

And the Cubs are not turning into the Yankees lol

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Like I said, I hope they become good because I don't want to hear from ******** Sox fans while this is happening. Last thing we need is a loser who talks **** incessantly like the Red Wings fans now.

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I don't even know what's going on anymore. I think we have entered the twilight zone.

This thread has been awesome the last 2-3 weeks. Can't get enough of it, and I don't even watch or follow any of the sports regularly discussed in it.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
Everybody jump to conclusions!

tumblr_lon5josiZy1qzmr3jo1_500.jpg

And I know not to trust weather forecasts this far out, but looking like a rainy week+ in the area. Just hoping it's sunny on Sunday, as I'm about 50% sure that I'll be going to the Sox/Tigers game for the cheap seats and to enjoy a long weekend.

This is what I'm doing Sunday with a bunch of buddies in town for Draft Weekend:

June1_SummerSox_Web-388x600.jpg

Then probably the Cubs game on Monday.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Anyway, re: Baez. His .732 OPS would put him in the top 10 for second basemen if he had enough at bats to qualify. If this is the struggling part of his development then the Cubs could be in for something special with him.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Anyway, re: Baez. His .732 OPS would put him in the top 10 for second basemen if he had enough at bats to qualify. If this is the struggling part of his development then the Cubs could be in for something special with him.

I'm really high on him. He is going to be a really exciting player to watch for the next 7-8 years. I think he hits his decline a little earlier due to the violent nature of his swing.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Sheffield had the exact same swing and was good forever unless you attribute that to flax seed oil.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Who cares about the ****ing wiggle or whether he does the Nomar velcro thing or whatever. That doesn't mean ****. It's all about generating power/bat speed using the entire body.

And notice you don't have 10 people telling me I'm wrong which would have happened if I was.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Well you do have a point there. Agree to disagree.

I never said they weren't similar though, just they weren't exactly the same. I will reiterate that approach matters more anyway, and the two are definitely not exactly the same regarding that (at this point at least).

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010

It's true. The sad thing is, I'm not even worth it. A. Nobody is harder on themselves than me so nothing gained there. B. I have no interest in proving I'm better than anyone. My posting would be far, far different if I cared even a tiny bit about that.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX
You guys are starting down the long road to becoming good every season. We're walking up to the front door.

Well and that's the rub with the Cubs eh? Even when they've been at "the front door", they've found some way (or several ways) to fail.

The Sox have had at least one shining moment, this century even. They grew/acquired talent and rolled through the season, fought off a late slump/Cleveland charge and then steamrolled through the playoffs losing one game.

With the Cubs and their fans it's always about next season or the next two or the next five. Maybe one of these decades it will actually happen.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Well and that's the rub with the Cubs eh? Even when they've been at "the front door", they've found some way (or several ways) to fail.

The Sox have had at least one shining moment, this century even. They grew/acquired talent and rolled through the season, fought off a late slump/Cleveland charge and then steamrolled through the playoffs losing one game.

With the Cubs and their fans it's always about next season or the next two or the next five. Maybe one of these decades it will actually happen.

I look at the two a lot differently. The constant 80+ win seasons and contention into September means something to me. I mean, you could say it doesn't mean a thing without the ring but it's still a lot more success than the Cubs usually have had.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad