OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVIII: Jackie Robinson West loses 8-4 to Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

IU Hawks fan

They call me IU
Dec 30, 2008
NW Burbs
I look at the two a lot differently. The constant 80+ win seasons and contention into September means something to me. I mean, you could say it doesn't mean a thing without the ring but it's still a lot more success than the Cubs usually have had.

It's meant a lot of heart break, that's for sure :laugh:

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
It's a message board. What fun would it be if there weren't any disagreements?

It's more confounding than fun when you're the pinata vs. part of the gang. Are people really intimidated by me to this point? And why the **** would they be, that's the main question. I guess my vocabulary? That's really all you see/know about. It just seems like a waste to me and I always speak my mind which is why I'm saying it.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
It's more confounding than fun when you're the pinata vs. part of the gang. Are people really intimidated by me to this point? And why the **** would they be, that's the main question. I guess my vocabulary? That's really all you see/know about. It just seems like a waste to me and I always speak my mind which is why I'm saying it.

I don't think anyone is intimidated by you. At least I know I'm not. ****, I had beers with you.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side

Intimidated? By your vocabulary? Seriously?

You get people to react because you have extremely one sided opinions and go off the rails with sweeping exaggerations at times over minor issues. It's not exclusive to you. BWC gets blowback, I got it for Pirri, Bubba got it for Kruger etc.

It's opinionated debate. No need for a persecution complex.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012

:laugh::laugh:

This is up there with the Paliotta neck size post for post of the offseason.

ColdSteel2

Aug 27, 2010
Ok, I'll just go back to ignoring it.

You get people to react because you have extremely one sided opinions

Well, I think that hits on it. I'm here for the one sided opinions, not the canned responses I can read by buying a newspaper. One sided opinions either means you're the first to say something or you end up wrong, in either case, I guess the reaction is the same.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
When a Sox fan attempts (albeit feebly) to degrade one of our best prospects, I wouldn't think responding in-kind is out of line?

I've long said here (and if you actually for once read people's replies you'd know) that I've found Baez incredibly overrated in their farm. But when I pimp up Bryant and Soler who are by far my favorite players in your system there is not a peep to say, just when you hear the disagreements (in my case Baez and Almora).

Nothingman*

:laugh::laugh:

This is up there with the Paliotta neck size post for post of the offseason.

Let me correct you. I said it about Johns or Hayden and meant to type NFL. Just an FYI. I will never post from a phone again while drinking.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Looks like it's gonna be Jorge Soler time now. Strong rumors he is being called up. One of my favorite prospects in their system not counting the beast that is Bryant. Gonna be fun to see him play up here.. unfortunately with the Cubs.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
I've long said here (and if you actually for once read people's replies you'd know) that I've found Baez incredibly overrated in their farm. But when I pimp up Bryant and Soler who are by far my favorite players in your system there is not a peep to say, just when you hear the disagreements (in my case Baez and Almora).

Umm, no offense, but it really doesn't matter to me at all what you think of Baez or any other Cub prospect. Praise them, criticize them, whatever. If I see something I disagree with I'm more likely to respond to that, as that makes for a more interesting discussion than posting 'I agree' with everything I agree with. I'll agree with your next post, and you'll see it's not so interesting.

Frankly, I think you're the one who needs to be thicker-skinned about Sox prospects. It's not my fault there's nothing nice to say about their terrible system.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
Frankly, I think you're the one who needs to be thicker-skinned about Sox prospects. It's not my fault there's nothing nice to say about their terrible system.

And there lies the problem why sox fans can't take people like you seriously. (The lack of educating yourself with other systems other than your own) Two years ago, sure I would've agreed with you 100%. Our system was awful. Hell, even last year it was promising who we drafted, but still below average. This year however I would say our system just improved quite a bit. Maybe not leaps and bounds, OMG top 10 for surez! but definitely out of the dormitory (28-30th) from the KW regime. Rodon alone is probably a top 10 (and I'll gladly argue top 5, whether you or anyone else feels is homerism or not) talent right now then you've got Anderson, Adams, Danish, Sanchez, Semien (who MB, a cubs fan btw, likes alot although me personally I'm not quite as high on although his OBP is always good) M. Johnson, Hawkins, Montas, etc. If Davidson and Erik Johnson didn't decide to suck..er...take steps back, farm probably looks much better. It's fun to talk about and discuss from a different perspective from other fans who know they're stuff about that. (MB, coldsteel, Kurtosis to an extent) That way you can agree or disagree objectively but still can view that topic accordingly. It just gets annoying when your talking to a brick wall with others who don't and only see what they want to see or believe.

Last edited:

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Rodon's ceiling in rankings right now is 10, and that's just because of his high floor. Right now he's probably a good setup man. Kind of like Stroman when he was drafted. With the overload of pitching in today's MLB, I don't think anyone could be justified as a top 5 prospect as a pitcher right now.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Rodon's ceiling in rankings right now is 10, and that's just because of his high floor. Right now he's probably a good setup man. Kind of like Stroman when he was drafted. With the overload of pitching in today's MLB, I don't think anyone could be justified as a top 5 prospect as a pitcher right now.

Until I see a player perform as a pro, I have a hard time putting him in the top 10. People that Mark Appel was a sure thing and he sucks so far. Rodon might be awesome but like I said before, if he was such a sure thing he wouldn't have fallen to 3.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
And there lies the problem why sox fans can't take people like you seriously. (The lack of educating yourself with other systems other than your own) Two years ago, sure I would've agreed with you 100%. Our system was awful. Hell, even last year it was promising who we drafted, but still below average. This year however I would say our system just improved quite a bit. Maybe not leaps and bounds, OMG top 10 for surez! but definitely out of the dormitory (28-30th) from the KW regime. Rodon alone is probably a top 10 (and I'll gladly argue top 5, whether you or anyone else feels is homerism or not) talent right now then you've got Anderson, Adams, Danish, Sanchez, Semien (who MB, a cubs fan btw, likes alot although me personally I'm not quite as high on although his OBP is always good) M. Johnson, Hawkins, Montas, etc. If Davidson and Erik Johnson didn't decide to suck..er...take steps back, farm probably looks much better. It's fun to talk about and discuss from a different perspective from other fans who know they're stuff about that. (MB, coldsteel, Kurtosis to an extent) That way you can agree or disagree objectively but still can view that topic accordingly. It just gets annoying when your talking to a brick wall with others who don't and only see what they want to see or believe.

Lol on me being the one who only sees what I want to see or believe.

Newsflash: Nobody on the planet agrees with the following:

Tim Anderson is right in that potential superstar tier.

Or this about Rodon, and I still haven't seen you produce any legit sources for your statement:

Scouts have called him "a top 10 pitcher" in the bigs soon.

Or this about the Sox system in general. Tell me, who are all these terrific prospects the Sox have been promoting which is the only thing keeping their farm system from being considered 'truly elite'?

Only thing stopping them from being truly elite is their aggressive style to promote prospects so that might grade them as still middle of the pack.:P

What you're saying is that Sox fans (for whom you are apparently the self-appointed spokesman) can't take others seriously unless they agree with your wildly outlandish and homerish assessments of your prospects. Talk up your prospects all you want, but don't whine when people disagree with you.

Last edited:

Stu Grimson

Apr 16, 2014
That being said I wish the Cubs had a championship DVD or even VHS to watch from time to time.:laugh:

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Considering that many Bears fans still gloat about '85 as if it's still topical, Sox fans have this Cubs' fan's permission to still feel good about '05.

God only knows that I'd love to have a mere decade-old championship for the Cubs to fondly remember...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad