OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread XXVIII: Jackie Robinson West loses 8-4 to Korea

Status
Not open for further replies.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Otani, IIRC, is a really good hitter as well. I think I remember that he DHs when he isn't pitching? I'd have to think an up and coming NL team would appeal to him.
Yup. Very good hitter.
Otani's first season in Japan was modest. He played 54 games in the outfield and and in 13 on the mound, making 11 starts. He hit a quiet .238/.284/.376 with 15 doubles and three homers in 204 plate appearances, and he pitched to a 4.23 ERA with a 4.8 BB/9, though he did reach the league average of 6.7 K/9 as a mere 18-year old. Now a sophomore in 2014, Otani has gotten off to a superb start. He's a much improved hitter at the plate, batting .283/.343/.457 with 11 extra-base hits in 102 plate appearances (compared to the league average of .256/.323/.379), and he's been even better on the mound.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Pretty sure you can't come over from Japan until you've been there a while, like 7 years or something.

pvr

Leather Skates
Jan 22, 2008
Otani, IIRC, is a really good hitter as well. I think I remember that he DHs when he isn't pitching? I'd have to think an up and coming NL team would appeal to him.

Yup. Very good hitter.

Otani's first season in Japan was modest. He played 54 games in the outfield and and in 13 on the mound, making 11 starts. He hit a quiet .238/.284/.376 with 15 doubles and three homers in 204 plate appearances, and he pitched to a 4.23 ERA with a 4.8 BB/9, though he did reach the league average of 6.7 K/9 as a mere 18-year old. Now a sophomore in 2014, Otani has gotten off to a superb start. He's a much improved hitter at the plate, batting .283/.343/.457 with 11 extra-base hits in 102 plate appearances (compared to the league average of .256/.323/.379), and he's been even better on the mound.

The second coming of the Babe. ;)

Young enough to fit in with the Cubs youth.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Pretty sure you can't come over from Japan until you've been there a while, like 7 years or something.
3 year ban but if he comes over, hes going to get a long contract anyways which would make that rule moot. Probably the main issue would be if the MLB accepted poaching with a contract in Japan already in effect.
Due to a recent NPB rule that was enacted when Red Sox reliever Junichi Tazawa bolted from his Japanese high school to Boston on a three-year contract without playing any NPB ball, Otani would thus be banned from playing in the NPB for three years if he went stateside. He could have gone anyway, but he ultimately was convinced by Nippon Ham to sign with them instead for the equivalent of a $1.2 million bonus and the maximum rookie salary of $150,000.

The second coming of the Babe. ;)
Lol. That was actually the first image that came to my mind when I read up on this kid. Maybe a righthand version of Steve Carlton (for us old folks who've actually seen Carlton).

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
I don't like the way the Sox are handling Rodon at all. He's not a fast track player anymore with how he was handled at NC State.

Taze em

Apr 20, 2012
Why on earth did no one think to mention Japanese Babe Ruth mixed with Nolan Ryan while we are searching for young projectable arms?!

I swear every week there's some new Japanese or Cuban player... They come out of nowhere in my mind.

First it was Tanaka, then Maeda and now this guy.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Why on earth did no one think to mention Japanese Babe Ruth mixed with Nolan Ryan while we are searching for young projectable arms?!**

That would be Saduharu Oh.

I swear every week there's some new Japanese or Cuban player... They come out of nowhere in my mind.
Lol.

Last edited:

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Why on earth did no one think to mention Japanese Babe Ruth mixed with Nolan Ryan while we are searching for young projectable arms?!

First it was Tanaka, then Maeda and now this guy.

Otani isn't new. He was trying to come last season but went to the NPB.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I don't know where his arm/body is at this point. Yes he was overused at NC State, but he also had 2 months off after his season ended, until he signed. All that said - there's zero reason to rush him up here. The Sox aren't in a pennant race or anything.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Cubs claimed Cole Hamels on waivers. I'd put everyone on the table for him other than Russell, Soler, and Bryant.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Love to the Cavs for Wigging, Bennett, and a pick. Another super star moves and Paxson sits on his hands.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Love to the Cavs for Wigging, Bennett, and a pick. Another super star moves and Paxson sits on his hands.

:laugh:

Don't be a meathead. There is nothing that the Bulls could have offered short of Noah that would have trumped Wiggins and I don't even think that would have done it.

As an aside, who is playing defense on the Cavs besides Lebron? They are going to give up a lot of points.

Kurtosis

GHG
May 26, 2010
The Village Within the City
Regarding Hamels:

There is probably no chance that they get him, but these are the types of moves that get me excited about the future. It signals to me that the front office is indeed taking 2015 seriously and we should finally start to see a competitive squad moving forward.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Regarding Hamels:

There is probably no chance that they get him, but these are the types of moves that get me excited about the future. It signals to me that the front office is indeed taking 2015 seriously and we should finally start to see a competitive squad moving forward.

Agreed. Its a statement of intent. I'd try really hard to see if the Phillies would go for Almora, CJ Edwards, and McKinney.

ChiGuySez

Cody Parkey GOAT
Oct 4, 2006
Cole Hamels is 30. Would be a great addition but it will be at least 3 years when the Cubs have most of the prospects up. I wouldnt mortgage significant pieces for him.

DisgruntledHawkFan

Blackhawk Down
Jun 19, 2004
South Side
You don't know who will sign before and you don't know who isn't interested in coming to a team as far from contention as the Cubbies are.

I think the team could use a veteran outfield bat to help along the kids as well as a #2/3 pitcher.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad