Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LXI: Bulls Talk

Status
Not open for further replies.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
The Cubs scored 1 or 0 runs in 40 games this year and just went 22 innings scoring 2 runs in must win games at home. They were 8th in the NL in runs scored from August to the end of the season. The Cubs pitching as a whole was 3rd in ERA in all of baseball this year.
And that's the only pitching category they were any good in this year.

Cubs were 18th in K/9, 27th in BB/9, 4th in HR/FB% (two things!), 18th in FIP, and 21st in team DRA.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
You need to win now.

He peaked, the team is regressing, you need to make a change quickly with the inevitable cap issues coming. Yes, there were injuries.

Why was Girardi fired?

Those are all platitudes. Your inability to point to any fireable offenses undermines your whole premise.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Not a Cubs fan, but I still say they should move Schwarber. It's not his fault or anything, but if you can't trust him in the field or against lefties he's more valuable as a trade chip, IMO.

Reactions: Blackhawkswincup

RayP

Tf
Jan 12, 2011
I can’t believe Joe pinch hit the worst post season hitter of all time with two outs, the bases loaded, and the game on the line over Schwarber. That was really bad.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I don't think Chili did a bad job. The pitching was a lot more of an issue. Sure, the bats ended cold, but that happens.
I get not putting this on the hitting coach, they receive much more of the blame than they should, at the end of the day it's on the players.

But to say the pitching was more of an issue than the hitting, that's nonsense.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
Terrance Gore had two at bats.

And putting him in the game is what got us a run. Can't blame the guy for trying to create something out of nothing when the bats were dead.

A manager's most important job by far is managing the pitching staff and bullpen over the course of a season. Hitting he has very little control over.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
I can’t believe Joe pinch hit the worst post season hitter of all time with two outs, the bases loaded, and the game on the line over Schwarber. That was really bad.

And when Schwarber came up he struck out and looked terrible doing it. Swung at what would have made the count 3-0, and was a mile late swinging at strike three out of the zone.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
And putting him in the game is what got us a run. Can't blame the guy for trying to create something out of nothing when the bats were dead.

A manager's most important job by far is managing the pitching staff and bullpen over the course of a season. Hitting he has very little control over.
The fact that he had to hit at all in this game was awful though. That cost the Cubs two extremely valuable outs late in the game because all he had left on the bench was Caratini.

Agreed.

If they really want to promote Brandon Hyde, they'll do it. But otherwise, I don't see a good replacement for Joe.

hawksrule

May 18, 2014
The fact that he had to hit at all in this game was awful though. That cost the Cubs two extremely valuable outs late in the game because all he had left on the bench was Caratini.

Agreed.

If they really want to promote Brandon Hyde, they'll do it. But otherwise, I don't see a good replacement for Joe.

That's the nature of a thirteen inning game.

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Tough break Cub fans. My dad wasn't very happy last night. I know Bryant is hurt, but 1-6 with 3K's...not good.

Someone posted this in the last thread, but these last two games felt like watching the Hawks-Preds series two years ago.

Legitimately not trying to be THAT guy, but does this wildcard game count as the Cubs making the playoffs? So we can at least say they made it 4 years in a row?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
...in 1985.

Except not. Hendricks routinely out pitches his FIP and xFIP, same with Cishek. What Kyle Freeland did last night wasn’t an accident, he’s another guy who out paces his FIP and xFIP routinely. Pitching to soft contact is a skill. Not trying to prop up pitching wins here

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad