OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LI: Sox get Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Well, Cubs are making money hand over fist and they're opening new revenue sources every year and there's no salary cap (alright, there's a luxury tax) and a payday's coming if they eventually launch their own channel, soo..... they might very well have the ability to afford that.

All that being said, I'm betting that it's a ploy to drive up his price in Washington. What drives up a price more than a deep-pocketed team being on a player's radar?

Last edited:

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
From what I've heard, many people think it's a foregone conclusion that he's leaving Washington after next year. So if he's driving the price up, it's probably with the Yankees in mind.

HeisenBaez

Nov 3, 2008
Heart of Dixie
From what I've heard, many people think it's a foregone conclusion that he's leaving Washington after next year. So if he's driving the price up, it's probably with the Yankees in mind.

I know that's a Steinbrenner's type move, but it's not a Cashman move. It will be interesting to see how that plays out.

For the Yankees it will be an interesting choice: Machado or Harper. Harper is the bigger name but the lesser need but Machado fits a need at 3rd. Now if Judge isn't as good as his start is suggesting, then things change, but call it a gut feeling but I think Cashman will prioritize Machado over Harper.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
The Sox lose again. They left a ton of guys on base today, including leaving the bases loaded in the 1st and 2nd. They are now 7 games under .500 and tied with the A's for the worst record in the AL.

clydesdale line

Connor BeJesus
Jan 10, 2012
The Sox lose again. They left a ton of guys on base today, including leaving the bases loaded in the 1st and 2nd. They are now 7 games under .500 and tied with the A's for the worst record in the AL.

Things finally going according to plan. No reason they shouldn't get a top 5 pick by the end of the year. Only thing that's bad is other than a couple of bullpen guys, the trade bait players are not hitting/pitching well right now.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Things finally going according to plan. No reason they shouldn't get a top 5 pick by the end of the year. Only thing that's bad is other than a couple of bullpen guys, the trade bait players are not hitting/pitching well right now.

Yep it's looking good for that.

You'd almost hope they could move Robertson to get Kahnle a crack at closing. He has the makings of a possible dominant closer. Possibly a lot better than Robertson ever was. We'll never know until he gets a chance at it.

OhCaptainMyCaptain

May 5, 2014
Earth
Hope they keep this rolling. So many times this year I thought they had turned the corner and they start to struggle again. That said, going back to before the six-game slide on the road, they've been playing really well at home lately.

Duke33

Oct 9, 2009
Houston, TX

On the flip side, here in Houston the Astros have hit the 41-16 mark which I believe is where the Cubs were at this point last year. They're playing excellent ball even with some pitchers on the DL. Lots of rumblings early in the year about plundering Sox players at the deadline, but that's quieted of late.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
On the flip side, here in Houston the Astros have hit the 41-16 mark which I believe is where the Cubs were at this point last year. They're playing excellent ball even with some pitchers on the DL. Lots of rumblings early in the year about plundering Sox players at the deadline, but that's quieted of late.

Yeah. The Sox biggest trade bait was supposed to be Jose Quintana, who has had an uncharacteristic bad year, and is likely off the market until at least the winter. The guys mostly still doing well were in the pen, but a number of them are getting worn down by over-use.

I'm not sure the Sox will have a lot that will be in high demand at the deadline.

Avi Garcia might be the best trade bait the Sox have right now - but who knows where he and all the other guys will be 4-6 weeks from now.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad