OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LI: Sox get Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
You're the one talking up lackey's track record. Stay on point.

In the context of Jeff's...

And yes, Lackey has had better FIP-/ERA- than Jeff has in three of the last four years, including last year. So, yes, his track record over a meaningful sample size is better.

You were the one who brought up John's performance in last year's playoffs and my only point was if you're going to criticize that then you need to recognize Jeff was way way worse last post season.

That said, I value the larger sample size of John being a better pitcher the last few years than that.

hawksrule

Lot of brains but no polish
May 18, 2014
In the context of Jeff's...

And yes, Lackey has had better FIP-/ERA- than Jeff has in three of the last four years, including last year. So, yes, his track record over a meaningful sample size is better.

You were the one who brought up John's performance in last year's playoffs and my only point was if you're going to criticize that then you need to recognize Jeff was way way worse last post season.

That said, I value the larger sample size of John being a better pitcher the last few years than that.

I'll spell it out for you. Lackey's done. Finished. Kaput. Shark is so easily the better option that it's a silly debate.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Shark has what, $60-$65 mil left on that deal? Giants would have to eat close to $50 of that for me to give up an asset for him.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Been meaning to say this for a while now but holy cow is the new Bernstein and Goff show on 670 absolutely terrible. Do they even talk sports anymore? I swear every time I turn it on it's a non-sports topic and then laughing at their own jokes that aren't the least bit funny.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
2017 - $19.8
2018 - $19.8
2019 - $19.8
2020 - $19.8

So, just north of $70MM.

Realistically, a 4 is going to get about $15 mil on the open market at least. That's not even considering contract inflation in the coming years.

If you get them to eat 5 mil per and give up a marginal couple of pieces, I don't see how that's a bad move.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
I'm not a fan of Shark. Saw him get lit up too many times with the Sox. I'd suggest Derek Holland as an alternative. He would be cheaper, both in dollars and what you'd have to give up.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Been meaning to say this for a while now but holy cow is the new Bernstein and Goff show on 670 absolutely terrible. Do they even talk sports anymore? I swear every time I turn it on it's a non-sports topic and then laughing at their own jokes that aren't the least bit funny.

Boers and Bernstein was no different, honestly. My absolute least favorite pair on the that station, AINEC.

Boers at least had some level of class and knowledge. Bernstein is just a narcissistic ********* who likes to think he's the smartest guy in the room when everyone knows he's really not. Typical "quasi-celebrity" wannabe.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
Boers and Bernstein was no different, honestly. My absolute least favorite pair on the that station, AINEC.

Boers at least had some level of class and knowledge. Bernstein is just a narcissistic ********* who likes to think he's the smartest guy in the room when everyone knows he's really not. Typical "quasi-celebrity" wannabe.

Boers and Bernstein was definitely less sports content than other shows on the station but they definitely talked about sports more than whatever Bernstein and Goff is supposed to be. The whole show is a dumpster fire.

670 should just move on from Bernstein at this point and let Holmes be the star.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
Used to listen to the Score everyday. Gave it up in April 2015 and haven't looked back.

I used to listen every day, also. Haven't done that in a long time. Every once in a while I'll be bored on lunch and sit in the car and listen, but the station has fallen so far in comparison to what it was a few years ago. Just hard to listen to. :shakehead

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I still listen but generally only to the Cubs games. I'll occasionally try and listen on my drive home from work but almost every time I turn it on I shut it right off.

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Sports radio was way better back in it's inception. I recall listening to the Score the very first day they were on the air. Tom Shaer opened it if I remember right. But it was different then. You depended on radio for stories, scores, interviews, etc. The Score was a Godsend back then. I felt like I was in heaven when the Score launched.

Now our smart phones beep us with just about everything we care about, so the need has been taken away. It's down to entertainment value and sometimes killing time during drives. So when you have obnoxious personalties like Dan Bernstein, well...needless to say, I rarely listen to sports radio anymore.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
It's a shame because Spiegel and Goff were really good. They took their best show and made two worse ones. Parkins is fine with Spiegel but Goff and Spiegs was much better.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
It's a shame because Spiegel and Goff were really good. They took their best show and made two worse ones. Parkins is fine with Spiegel but Goff and Spiegs was much better.

I agree Spiegel and Goff was really good. The other two shows both aren't as good now but are still both fairly solid. I think Goff and Holmes are really good together whenever they get the chance to do a show together.

HawksBeerFan

Nov 9, 2014
I agree Spiegel and Goff was really good. The other two shows both aren't as good now but are still both fairly solid. I think Goff and Holmes are really good together whenever they get the chance to do a show together.

One of the things that made me want to post about this was that Goff and Holmes were on together on... Friday I think? And they were really good.

Holmes has that effect on everyone though, he really gets the best out of people, which is why I am continually surprised he doesn't get a full time gig.

ChiHawks10

Jul 7, 2009
Chicago 'Burbs
One of the things that made me want to post about this was that Goff and Holmes were on together on... Friday I think? And they were really good.

Holmes has that effect on everyone though, he really gets the best out of people, which is why I am continually surprised he doesn't get a full time gig.

He's BY FAR the best one on the station, IMO. Focuses on the sports pretty hard, but still has fun and enjoys discussing things with the listeners outside the realm of sports, also. Used to listen to his show every day on the way home from work, since he would come on at 5pm. Hell, there were days that I would get home from work and be sitting in the car an extra 15 or 20 minutes still listening because he always kept me interested in the conversation and what he was discussing.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I like Homes, but prefer Goff. I like Homes demeanor but I could do with the comic books and wrestling talk. I find Goff funnier as well.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
Rarely do I listen to sports radio now

Used to listen to Bears postgame all the time but now without Buffone it just isn't same

Loved when Buffone and O'Bradovich were doing postgame during Trestman era

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad