OT: Other Chicago & General Sports Thread LI: Sox get Robert

Status
Not open for further replies.

Blackhawkswincup

RIP Fugu
Jun 24, 2007
Chicagoland
I grew up with Hawk calling games and will miss him

I don't care what others think. Same people bashing Hawk glorify Harry Carey who was a cartoon with Cubs (And was an ass when with Sox always fighting with players/management)

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
I grew up with Hawk calling games and will miss him

I don't care what others think. Same people bashing Hawk glorify Harry Carey who was a cartoon with Cubs (And was an ass when with Sox always fighting with players/management)

So you are basically the same as the people you are bashing?

People tend to love their team's people. Carey or Hawk, it doesn't matter as long as they are their team's people.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Hawk leaving makes me sad. He's hard to listen to when he gets going on the umps and what not, but I feel like he's "MY crazy grandpa", so therefore, I still love him.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
Sox games might actually be bearable in passing without listening to Hawk.

As for local sports radio, I've been saying it for years. It flat out stinks. Aside from when my wife wants to listen to it when we're both in the car, I've given up on it ever since the Cubs mascot got introduced a few years back and in the midst of a bunch of other local and national sports news (Hawks and Bulls seasons, NFL postseason, even looking ahead to pitchers and catchers reporting in a month) they spent at least twenty minutes at the prime 5:00 PM hour on two consecutive days talking about the fact that a kid's mascot was dumb looking. Straw that broke the camel's back for me.

As for the Cubs, all I can say is thank God the NL Central stinks this year. If we were having this start in any other division, we'd be in real trouble already. As it is now, could just be a bad spell to start the season or an indictment against our chances, but at least our hole's not too deep.

Last edited:

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
Avi Garcia

April .368/.409/.621
May .301/.345/.485

We all knew that his April wasn't sustainable, but could his May numbers be?

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Yeah, but his career BABIP is .329, so it's not that outrageous, no?

To me, the power seems real. So if he can hit .275ish, I could see him being a .275/.330/.450 type of a guy.

I could see that but a .780 OPS for a right fielder isn't all that great.

b1e9a8r5s

Feb 16, 2015
Chicago, IL
I could see that but a .780 OPS for a right fielder isn't all that great.

True. It would be nice if he could ever start taking a few more walks, but that doesn't seem in the cards. He might need to hit close to .300 to be a "good" right fielder. That probably isn't that sustainable although I believe his defense has gotten to "serviceable" now, which helps.

MurrayBannerman

I post about baseball on a hockey forum
Feb 18, 2012
CHI
Yeah, but his career BABIP is .329, so it's not that outrageous, no?

To me, the power seems real. So if he can hit .275ish, I could see him being a .275/.330/.450 type of a guy.

It was .320 going into this year and he still sported that .373 in May like Illini said. That's a big, big gap.

That said, he will probably have the best year of his career. It's just like, what is that?

Sarava

May 9, 2010
West Dundee, IL
Seems like all the mocks have the Sox taking Kendall now. Really hoping that doesn't happen. I'm not comfortable with all those strikeouts. I'd rather they go for MB's guy Hiura. Other guys I'd be happy with include Haseley, Beck or Burger.

Burger would be fun, especially if they managed to nab Beer next year. A beer and a burger...the potential gimmicks are endless.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad