Other Chicago and General Sports Thread XXII - Cubs/Sox/Bulls/TEAM USA

Status
Not open for further replies.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Well at least the Bulls had a good second half. That second quarter was awful. I was expecting a better game from Rose, but it's a long season.

Last edited:

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Bulls just aren't gonna unseat the Heat. Don't have the scoring or depth to compete with Heat

And the Pacers are better IMO

You're making this judgment after the first game this starting lineup has ever played together.

(Also, Indiana isn't better).

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Really? I feel like nearly every prediction I've seen calls for a Heat/Pacers ECF.

The Bulls are the same team that won at a more than 60-per-82 pace for two seasons in a row... except they have a much better 2 than they did in either of those seasons (Butler) and an improved Boozer.

I don't see the Pacers as a 60-win team (they still don't have a point guard), nor do I see them beating the Bulls in a series. With Rose playing, Indiana has never been more than Chicago's little brother.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
The Bulls are the same team that won at a more than 60-per-82 pace for two seasons in a row... except they have a much better 2 than they did in either of those seasons (Butler) and an improved Boozer.

I don't see the Pacers as a 60-win team (they still don't have a point guard), nor do I see them beating the Bulls in a series. With Rose playing, Indiana has never been more than Chicago's little brother.

Except they aren't. 3 years ago they had one of the best benches in the league.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Except they aren't. 3 years ago they had one of the best benches in the league.

And they still do.

The "bench mob" misconception...
Sam Smith (correctly) notes that fans were far too fond of the Watson/Brewer/Asik/Korver group and don't realize the current bench is probably just as good.

The only downgrade from that team to this team is Asik to Mohammed, but given neither guy would/does play a lot with Noah in front of them, it's not particularly important.

Cullksinikers

Aug 20, 2009
'Merica
The Bulls are one shooter away from being better than Miami. Until then, they are the second-best team in the Eastern Conference.

No Fun Shogun

34-38-61-10-13-15
May 1, 2011
Illinois
At the risk of being a Debbie downer, I just don't buy what some fans and so many others are selling about the Bulls. When the Bulls are going all out against a regular season Heat team whose only real goal is to win a fairly easy division, sure the Bulls can hang with them and beat them.

When both are going all out in a best of seven, though? Don't see the Bulls as being just a piece away, even if Wade's hobbled again.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
And they still do.

The "bench mob" misconception...
Sam Smith (correctly) notes that fans were far too fond of the Watson/Brewer/Asik/Korver group and don't realize the current bench is probably just as good.

The only downgrade from that team to this team is Asik to Mohammed, but given neither guy would/does play a lot with Noah in front of them, it's not particularly important.

That is freaking ridiculous. The bench mob was historically great on defense (by the numbers). The current group sucks, Hinrich, Nazi, Dunleavy, Snell? That bench sucks, its a downgrade at every position.

Pepe Silvia

Jan 2, 2012
Chicago
Hinrich is a great player to have on the bench. Plays solid D and can play the 1 and 2. Taj is a beast and Dunleavy is a nice shooting threat. After that the bench isn't all that special, but it definitely doesn't suck.

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
That is freaking ridiculous. The bench mob was historically great on defense (by the numbers). The current group sucks, Hinrich, Nazi, Dunleavy, Snell? That bench sucks, its a downgrade at every position.

C.J. Watson's better than Hinrich? News to me.

Dunleavy is a much better defensive player than Korver and more versatile offensively since he can function as a secondary ballhandler.

Gibson looks to be a better player this year than he ever has before.

Mohammed is a big downgrade from Asik, but whoever's behind a (presumably healthy) Noah will be playing 10-15 minutes at most. Considering Hinrich is a much better facilitator and overall player than Watson, I'll take the tradeoff.

Snell won't play regular minutes and was only in the game last night because of foul trouble for both of the guys who play in front of him.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
C.J. Watson's better than Hinrich? News to me.

Dunleavy is a much better defensive player than Korver and more versatile offensively since he can function as a secondary ballhandler.

Gibson looks to be a better player this year than he ever has before.

Mohammed is a big downgrade from Asik, but whoever's behind a (presumably healthy) Noah will be playing 10-15 minutes at most. Considering Hinrich is a much better facilitator and overall player than Watson, I'll take the tradeoff.

Snell won't play regular minutes and was only in the game last night because of foul trouble for both of the guys who play in front of him.

Yes, Watson is better than Hinrich at this point in his career. Hinrich can barely stay on the court anymore. Ronnie Brewer is also better than Hinrich at this point, better on both ends (although Hinrich is better as a ball handler).

Dunleavy is a better defensive player but not by much. If he's your secondary ball hanlder, your team sucks. He's out there for his shooting just like Korver was, except Korver was a hell of a lot better shooter. And again if you don't want to play Korver at the 3 you could have played Brewer who is better than Dunleavy as a shot creator and as a defender.

Asik is so much better than Muhammad its not even worth discussing. There is literally no contest.

To show you how good that bench was, Thibs' crunch time 5 that year was Rose, Brewer, Deng, Taj, Asik. Thats 2 "bench guys" that Thibs used when the game was on the line.

Illinihockey

Jun 15, 2010
Hinrich is a great player to have on the bench. Plays solid D and can play the 1 and 2. Taj is a beast and Dunleavy is a nice shooting threat. After that the bench isn't all that special, but it definitely doesn't suck.

Except Hinrich can't stay healthy, you can count on him to miss 15-20 games this year. Last year he missed games in the playoffs because he was too injured to go

Chris Hansen

THESE LEGS ARE FRESH
Aug 17, 2007
Yes, Watson is better than Hinrich at this point in his career. Hinrich can barely stay on the court anymore. Ronnie Brewer is also better than Hinrich at this point, better on both ends (although Hinrich is better as a ball handler).

Dunleavy is a better defensive player but not by much. If he's your secondary ball hanlder, your team sucks. He's out there for his shooting just like Korver was, except Korver was a hell of a lot better shooter. And again if you don't want to play Korver at the 3 you could have played Brewer who is better than Dunleavy as a shot creator and as a defender.

Asik is so much better than Muhammad its not even worth discussing. There is literally no contest.

To show you how good that bench was, Thibs' crunch time 5 that year was Rose, Brewer, Deng, Taj, Asik. Thats 2 "bench guys" that Thibs used when the game was on the line.

I don't care if Hinrich is 32 or 3200 years old - your credibility goes out the window when you suggest Ronnie Brewer is a better offensive player than him. :laugh:

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad