OT: OT Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I love how just because you aren't going to literally die from it, theres no reason to be concerned. Have you ever been sick before? It sucks balls. I don't want to be sick. I don't care if I'm going to survive. Being sick sucks. f*** being sick.

And just because you personally are not at high risk doesn't mean you shouldnt take steps to prevent spreading it to people who are.
I don’t think anyone would disagree with you. I hate being sick and would love to avoid it.

But people are literally storming Costco’s doors as they open, to go stash up on toilet paper and water. I don’t think I’ve had that good of a laugh in a long while - that video popped up on my Facebook feed and I couldn’t believe it.

Reactions: cookiefest

Hansen

tyler motte simp
Oct 12, 2011
Nanaimo, B.C.
I don’t think anyone would disagree with you. I hate being sick and would love to avoid it.

But people are literally storming Costco’s doors as they open, to go stash up on toilet paper and water. I don’t think I’ve had that good of a laugh in a long while - that video popped up on my Facebook feed and I couldn’t believe it.

All these folks freaking out over no toilet paper, no one noticing these enormous piles of Gideon's bibles everywhere

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
It’s laughable seeing people comparing “flu” to “coronavirus”
As if they are the same thing, everything starts with a small spark. It’s too late when you start to worry

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Sore-ish throat the last couple of days that’s progressively gotten worse (not painful just can tell my throats bothering me.) No fever, coughing, chills, difficulty breathing, etc. Not sure if I should get some tests done. Flew for work 9 days ago. 5 flights in 4 days. Hm.

M2Beezy

Objective and Neutral Hockey Commentator
Sponsor
May 25, 2014
Sore-ish throat the last couple of days that’s progressively gotten worse (not painful just can tell my throats bothering me.) No fever, coughing, chills, difficulty breathing, etc. Not sure if I should get some tests done. Flew for work 9 days ago. 5 flights in 4 days. Hm.
Walk it off

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
What does Vancouver offer besides real estate?

How do you guys think covid will affect local economies?

Billy Kvcmu

Dec 5, 2014
West Vancouver
Better wrong than sorry

yvrtojfk

Aug 13, 2016
Canada
Better wrong than sorry
I’ll give it a couple of days. Luckily can work from home and just going to skip the gym. I’ve got meals prepped so shouldn’t be so bad.

I feel like if I head to the hospital I’ll end up catching something there lol.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
Italy is shutting down all sports event

And just quarantined the entire country. $60mil people.

Wonder how long it's going to take for some to realize this will be happening in Canadian cities very soon.

Mainstream media causing this! Its just the flu! Wake up sheeple.

Ainec

Panetta was not racist
Jun 20, 2009
I still want to go the gym and then the sauna

Covid can't survive in swimming pools and saunas right?!!

MS

1%er
Mar 18, 2002
Vancouver, BC
The risk to healthy people under retirement age from the coronavirus is limited. The problem is that it rakes through the elderly and previously ill at a high rate. Pretty much all graphs you see on the virus look something like this, with a median death age over 80:

2019–20 coronavirus outbreak - Wikipedia

So the risks to most of us on a personal level aren't anything to be overly concerned about (over 80% of infected people top out with 'mild' symptoms), but we will continue to see inconveniences as governments try to protect these weaker populations.

If there's one thing everyone should be doing - other than washing your goddamned hands - it's touching base with older relatives and making sure they're taking adequate precautions until the situation stabilizes. Avoid large gatherings (meetings, church, etc.), don't travel, and try to take advantage of things like online grocery shopping/delivery to avoid being unnecessarily being in public spaces.

Hoghandler

Jul 9, 2019
The risk to healthy people under retirement age from the coronavirus is limited.

The risk of death, yes. The risk of having irreversible damage after contracting the disease is what is concerning. And some reports coming out of China are not good. If the virus stays in your upper respiratory system, you're likely going to be ok. If it makes it's way down into your lungs, there could be long term ramifications for these people; and it's happening to 1 in 7 people infected.

The other issue is how quickly the healthcare system is going to be overwhelmed. In Italy, they are already having to decide on who to save, electing to remove the elderly from ICU beds, and give those spaces to younger people. Basically just leaving the elderly to slowly suffocate and die. And Italy's healthcare system is on par with Canada's.

It's going to be a very sad time, as we basically just push the elderly out into the hallways, to die a slow, painful death. It's something that is unprecedented in our lifetime, that will be remembered for generations to come.

Never mind the social and financial implications of essentially having the West come to a complete stand still to try and slow the spread of this disease. Hold on tight to those nickels folks. Our financial situations just got exponentially worse with the breakout of this pandemic. Have to think this 20% drop in the stock market is just the tip of the iceberg.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad