OT: OT Thread, Winter Edition(2nd Fall for Georgians)

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Looks like HF Boards have fixed the image embedding issue!

yay-its-working-nicki-taylor.gif

dog-smile-shyboos.gif

Testing, testing.

EDIT: Woohoo!!

Can confirm …….

1706659484606.gif

spiny norman

Administrator
Apr 1, 2006
Winnipeg, MB
Had to bump this thread, can you guys and gals believe this weather? There is barely any snow in the fields just outside of the city and i was talking to my neighbor who runs a spongee league and all games are cancelled because there is no outdoor ice, in January, unbelievable. Hopefully this keeps up and we are starting golf in March this year instead of May . :laugh:

Reminds me of past Christmases in the Fraser Valley, but without the mountains.

Reactions: Jets 31

macmaroon

Winnipeg Jets fan since 1972
Sponsor
Sep 3, 2011
Winnipeg Manitoba
www.macmaroon.com
Its hockey with a sponge puck and special sponge running shoes instead of skates . I played in it for years and played goal, sometimes when it was really cold that sponge puck was as hard as a real puck.
Yep, played sponge hockey at Canford and the Old Ex site in the nineties for the Moonlite Bandits. Still got all my spongee equipment and even the first goal that I scored (a friend made me a cool trophy - the goal was against the Baboon Buds)...:nod:

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Yep, played sponge hockey at Canford and the Old Ex site in the nineties for the Moonlite Bandits. Still got all my spongee equipment and even the first goal that I scored (a friend made me a cool trophy - the goal was against the Baboon Buds)...:nod:
Ya we played out of Canford too, we were the Vipers . I actually still have all the team photos that they always took once a season.:laugh: And all the jersey's .:laugh:

Reactions: macmaroon

LucianoBorsato

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
This abnormal weather is awful. Endless cloud, not enough cold for skating or skiing. Way below normal precipitation and super dirty driving (mashed potatoes slush and flying muddy salt solution).

I like our winters (perhaps I am not in the majority). :)
What I'm not enjoying is the lumpy skating rink the sidewalk has turned into on my street, almost fell 3 or 4 times walking my younger dog last night. Other than that, I will take the winter reprieve.

AND ANOTHER THING...these newer LED street lights suck, they do NOT give off enough light at night so it makes walking on an icy sidewalk harder. Bring me back those orange halogens with the healthy glow, please.

end rant

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
What I'm not enjoying is the lumpy skating rink the sidewalk has turned into on my street, almost fell 3 or 4 times walking my younger dog last night. Other than that, I will take the winter reprieve.

AND ANOTHER THING...these newer LED street lights suck, they do NOT give off enough light at night so it makes walking on an icy sidewalk harder. Bring me back those orange halogens with the healthy glow, please.

end rant
Ya i'm dealing with a 11 month old German Shepherd rescue and trying to teach her to walk without pulling is very hard to do on ice sidewalks . Went flying last night when she saw a rabbit , i was killing myself laughing lying on the sidewalk.:laugh: Looks like this unreal warm weather is here for 1 more week.:nod:

Reactions: LucianoBorsato

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
Ya i'm dealing with a 11 month old German Shepherd rescue and trying to teach her to walk without pulling is very hard to do on ice sidewalks . Went flying last night when she saw a rabbit , i was killing myself laughing lying on the sidewalk.:laugh: Looks like this unreal warm weather is here for 1 more week.:nod:
Try a choke collar.

White Out 902

I'm usually right.
Aug 17, 2017
Cape Breton Island
Thanks for asking everything is good here and yes we received an absolute assload of snow. I've literally never seen this much snow in my life.

Here is my house, taken by my neighbour, and a pic I took of our pup trying to understand the chaos of the snow lol.

@White Out 902 how much snow did you get out there? I read that some spots on Cape Breton got 150cm

Attachments

• Messenger_creation_23855dce-5bb7-4777-ab03-9f128795526c.jpeg
    Messenger_creation_23855dce-5bb7-4777-ab03-9f128795526c.jpeg
    183.7 KB · Views: 2
  • 20240205_071658.jpg
    20240205_071658.jpg
    147.3 KB · Views: 3

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Thanks for asking everything is good here and yes we received an absolute assload of snow. I've literally never seen this much snow in my life.

Here is my house, taken by my neighbour, and a pic I took of our pup trying to understand the chaos of the snow lol.
Glad to hear you're OK... growing up in Charlottetown, we'd have 5-10 "snow days" a year... moved back to winnipeg in 8th grade and I can't recall a single one. Wasn't uncommon to not be able to get out the front door, and every house on my street had a tractor with a snowblower on it contracted to do their driveways. Simply too much snow (and too heavy) to shovel safely.

My daughter played back to back games in Fredricton over the weekend and they made the call to bus back to Halifax after the game on Saturday night. She said it was white knuckles for most of it... no visibility and the back of the bus swinging all over the road. To say I'm pissed about that decision is an understatement

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
My guess is that one of the biggest differences between Canada and Switzerland is this:

In Switzerland, they are actual mountains. In Canada, they are just very big piles of snow.
What part of Switzerland are you in? I'm popping over in June to see family in Geneva. I've been there once before and didn't think much of it, so I'm trying to decide what to do from there. Either go somewhere else in Switzerland or pop back into France and visit the Alps from that side. If you've got any recommendations for places worth seeing and accessible on bus/train I'm all ears!

Reactions: UFO

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
What part of Switzerland are you in? I'm popping over in June to see family in Geneva. I've been there once before and didn't think much of it, so I'm trying to decide what to do from there. Either go somewhere else in Switzerland or pop back into France and visit the Alps from that side. If you've got any recommendations for places worth seeing and accessible on bus/train I'm all ears!

I live in the very central part of Switzerland. Pretty close to Luzern and Zug (and Zürich). I haven't been to Geneva in many years. Actually I have only been there twice. Two places I really love, which are fairly close to Geneva, are Montreux and Bern. Small, cozy and enjoyable.

If you have some spare time, Luzern is the place to go in my opinion. by far my favourite place in Switzerland. Some people like Zürich too, but it's very expensive.

Depends on what you want to do, there's plenty of things to experience. :) Hit me up, if you have any questions.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015
My guess is that one of the biggest differences between Canada and Switzerland is this:

In Switzerland, they are actual mountains. In Canada, they are just very big piles of snow.
Here's another big difference.

Switzerland is 41,285 square km in size.
Canada is 9,985,000 in size.
St. John's NL to Vancouver BC is a 7,089 km drive.
Zurich to Tel Aviv, Israel is a 4,013 km drive.

Gm0ney

Unicorns salient
Oct 12, 2011
Winnipeg
I live in the very central part of Switzerland. Pretty close to Luzern and Zug (and Zürich). I haven't been to Geneva in many years. Actually I have only been there twice. Two places I really love, which are fairly close to Geneva, are Montreux and Bern. Small, cozy and enjoyable.

If you have some spare time, Luzern is the place to go in my opinion. by far my favourite place in Switzerland. Some people like Zürich too, but it's very expensive.

Depends on what you want to do, there's plenty of things to experience. :) Hit me up, if you have any questions.
Luzern is touristy - but it's a pretty place...just crowded.

The Lauterbrunnen Valley is amazing and not too far from Bern. Maybe 90 minutes away on the train? Bern's a couple of hours away from Geneva, though, so not sure the total trip is feasible unless you're staying for a day or two. And if you want some adventure, you can go paragliding down the valley. Lots to do there and very scenic.

Reactions: UFO

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
In our province, living more than one hour away is a tempting walk. :)
Some people (not many) drive that far to work and back every day.
It is an hour walk home from a Jets game for me. More pops = longer time.

As for the commute, yep, did it for 14.5 years, SE Winnipeg to Carman right around that hour mark, depending on traffic on #3 and the Perimeter. Do not recommend.

UFO

Mar 14, 2022
Switzerland
Luzern is touristy - but it's a pretty place...just crowded.

The Lauterbrunnen Valley is amazing and not too far from Bern. Maybe 90 minutes away on the train? Bern's a couple of hours away from Geneva, though, so not sure the total trip is feasible unless you're staying for a day or two. And if you want some adventure, you can go paragliding down the valley. Lots to do there and very scenic.

The Lauterbrunnen Valley is indeed magical.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad