OT: OT Thread Part X: New Year is hereth. Warm tidings.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Guys pls. You misunderstand.

I've done Web programming, game programming in Java, and now two years of Higher Computer Science.

Just as I've done Calc. I'm trying to avoid repeating classes.

I see.

Programming is good for you. :nod:

I feel (and I think Kane One will agree) that an introductory programming class should be part of a mandatory curriculum in high school. Computers are ubiquitous and people should learn what goes on at the programming level.

I don't think it should be required, but it should be an option to students as an elective or something. Typing definitely should be required in elementary or junior high school. Maybe also include just the basics of using a computer.

I mean, programming is nice and could make life easier if you do repetitive tasks on a computer, but it's not something I would say everyone needs to learn like typing.

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
I see.

I don't think it should be required, but it should be an option to students as an elective or something. Typing definitely should be required in elementary or junior high school. Maybe also include just the basics of using a computer.

I mean, programming is nice and could make life easier if you do repetitive tasks on a computer, but it's not something I would say everyone needs to learn like typing.

Agreed regarding typing. Pretty much a necessity at this point.

I feel like if students are required to take chemistry in high school, why not programming (which I feel could be much more accessible, like "wow I can make the computer do this").

Jabroni

The People's Champ
Jun 1, 2008
Game Programming :D

Essentially CS, with a bit of other stuff thrown in

Nice. I took an online graphics programming class once. Had an awful professor and I think that's why my experience was terrible.

Did you learn assembly yet? Kane One and myself had to take assembly classes. :help:

Kane One

Feb 6, 2010
Brooklyn, New NY
Agreed regarding typing. Pretty much a necessity at this point.

I feel like if students are required to take chemistry in high school, why not programming (which I feel could be much more accessible, like "wow I can make the computer do this").

I met much more people in HS who used chemistry in their college major than people who went on to major in CS.

It is possible those people would have majored in CS if they took a programming course in HS, though.

NYRFANMANI

Department of Rempe Safety Management
Apr 21, 2007
yo old soorbrockon
Second day of university, first day of me classes, all buses on strike (without pre-warning!! Well unless you accept to be warned of an event hours before it starts) ...

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad