OT: OT Thread Part 7: Where the Only Off Off Topic is Politics (Well Not Literally!)

Status
Not open for further replies.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I miss Zellers

As well, I miss Liquidation World. Plenty of stuff that changed from time to time. Food stuffs and, if one of them had a freezer, frozen food and ice cream products.

There was one liquidation company that used to sell stuff in the Alpha Dairies building in Calgary. No carry overs or overlaps that I could recall. Just one store's (or chain's) merchandise.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Spent the weekend in Canmore and it was an absolute mad house, but I can see why. Gorgeous weekend and the trails were in great shape, and with the new fees coming in play tomorrow (Kananaskis and Public land fees) I suspect people were wanting to get out there before they were going to have to get hammered with the new fees.

Reactions: oilers'72

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Spent the weekend in Canmore and it was an absolute mad house, but I can see why. Gorgeous weekend and the trails were in great shape, and with the new fees coming in play tomorrow (Kananaskis and Public land fees) I suspect people were wanting to get out there before they were going to have to get hammered with the new fees.

I was up there this weekend as well, and interestingly enough everyone in our group kept commenting on how empty it was compared to usual this time of year. Downtown was dead due to no restaurants or bars being open, our condo complex was basically empty, and no issues on the trails. ;)

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
I was up there this weekend as well, and interestingly enough everyone in our group kept commenting on how empty it was compared to usual this time of year. Downtown was dead due to no restaurants or bars being open, our condo complex was basically empty, and no issues on the trails. ;)

Yes, Canmore itself was really quiet, which was really nice - we stayed in town. It was pretty clear that it was nearly all daytrippers.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yes, Canmore itself was really quiet, which was really nice - we stayed in town. It was pretty clear that it was nearly all daytrippers.

Learned our lesson a few years ago to avoid the Instagram type of hikes like Grassi Lakes. I’ll be polite and say it’s not the usual hiking crowd you see there. An absolute shitshow. Prefer the hikes that are off the beaten path. Much more enjoyable and just as beautiful.

doulos

Oct 4, 2007
Learned our lesson a few years ago to avoid the Instagram type of hikes like Grassi Lakes. I’ll be polite and say it’s not the usual hiking crowd you see there. An absolute shitshow. Prefer the hikes that are off the beaten path. Much more enjoyable and just as beautiful.

Yeah, it had been many years since we had done one of those hikes, but we had never taken our kids out to Grassi or Grotto before and figured we should at least take them there once. It was amazing how much makeup there was...haha. That's fine though. I can appreciate the fact that there are places for every type to go check out. Our kids enjoyed an easy walk this go round instead of dragging them on a longer day hike. Perhaps you are right that it was no more busy than normal and I was just experiencing the shock of so many people since it had been so long since I had checked out those popular locations.

Hoping Lady mac and Ha Ling will be opened this summer again at the same time so I can go take a crack at the Triple again (or the quad if I am feeling really up to things!) I do love it out there and looking forward to post-covid when things will hopefully get back to normal with a lot of these places.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
Yeah, it had been many years since we had done one of those hikes, but we had never taken our kids out to Grassi or Grotto before and figured we should at least take them there once. It was amazing how much makeup there was...haha. That's fine though. I can appreciate the fact that there are places for every type to go check out. Our kids enjoyed an easy walk this go round instead of dragging them on a longer day hike. Perhaps you are right that it was no more busy than normal and I was just experiencing the shock of so many people since it had been so long since I had checked out those popular locations.

Hoping Lady mac and Ha Ling will be opened this summer again at the same time so I can go take a crack at the Triple again (or the quad if I am feeling really up to things!) I do love it out there and looking forward to post-covid when things will hopefully get back to normal with a lot of these places.

We did the exact same thing with Grassi and Grotto with our kids. As you mentioned, had slightly changed from the last time I had hiked it. :). More of a party than a hike.

Senor Catface

Jul 25, 2006
Post 2 of my exciting life. Finally broke out the Dolce popcorn popper (Zellers) . It does do good popcorn but relies on kernel buildup to force out popcorn. There was a mass of popcorn left in the popper. There looks to be a fan. I'll have to see if it works.

These are the style of popcorn machines I like.

2020-08-26-13-46_dssp300gbrd04_1_imageset

The top has a section (where the lid is) where you place butter so it slowly drips over the popcorn as it rotates.

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
These are the style of popcorn machines I like.

2020-08-26-13-46_dssp300gbrd04_1_imageset

The top has a section (where the lid is) where you place butter so it slowly drips over the popcorn as it rotates.
I might have a hot air popper with a fan, so everything gets tossed out. No butter attachment, though.

Ever heard of a microwave? Man all of you highfalutin son of a guns!

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Paul Soles, long time Canadian actor and actor, died on May 26th. A couple of his shows was an interviewer on CBC, called Take 30. As well, he played the scofflaw always being arrested for the weirdest Canadian laws on "This is the Law".

His best known role was the voice of Spiderman from 1967-70. He also did other Marvel voices at the time. Many of those other shows are hard to find.

https://www.cbc.ca/comedy/he-who-la...paul-soles-leaves-a-humorous-legacy-1.6046996

Paul Soles

Toronto's Paul Soles recalls starring in Stan Lee's 1960s 'Spider-Man' series

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad