OT: OT Thread Part 6: still got a new name faster than Seattle's team

Status
Not open for further replies.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
How do you link GIF images? I used to be able to straight from gifphy and Google images, but now I just get broken links when I try to copy and paste.

697b023b-64a5-49a0-8059-27b963453fb1.gif

Just picked a random one, and copy and paste worked for me.

bellagiobob

Jul 27, 2006
I'm usually pretty savvy when it comes to basic internet garbage. But I'm stumped. The move to Mandatory changed a lot of things.

Under HF preferences, do you have 'Use the rich text editor to create and edit messages' selected?

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Any athletes that play in sports where you need a high oxygen intake? If so do you prefer breathing through your nose or mouth when running, skating, etc?

King K Rool

Big Bad
Mar 5, 2020
Edmonton
I didn't know who to ask so i figured this is as good a place as any. My question: I want to get a Powerslide board but I live in an apartment and I don't want to annoy my downstairs neighbour. I asked him personally and he said he wouldn't mind but it's a whole other thing after I've actually bought it and use it and my neighbour finds that it IS annoying.

Is there someone who has experience with these? Are they noisy? I try to be a decent neighbour and noise is a big consideration. They look awesome, I've always wanted one, but never got one because I prefer to go swim lanes. I can't do that at the moment but a Powerslide looks fun, which is the key to working out for me; I need to find it fun.

Thanks.

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Typically you hear to breath deep and through the mouth. Ive also heard in through the nose and out through the mouth. I figured that its be an interesting question for those that do lots of cardio or weights. @Drivesaitl @Al from New Jersey and @gymrat what are your takes on this?

Pretty sure I do it all wrong. haha. But its a very different thing, cardio breathing vs weight breathing. In weight I've experimented with breathing in or out during lifts and frankly can't find it makes any difference for me. Just that I do one, or the other, during lifts, is better than doing neither. So I lift in cadence with breathing in or out. Frankly I prefer exhaling on the downward stroke or upward lift at different times. I'm weird, who knew, I mix it up.

For Weights, regardless, its deep slow breathing for me.

For cardio I prefer normal inhalations instead of deeper inhalations but probably because I've had lung scarring through pneumonia and it can irritate my lungs to deep breath frequently. Definitely a mouth breather but more due to allergies, nasal passage not always being completely open etc. I do find my performance is better, my breathing more measured, when I am able to nose breath quite well. What I find with mouth breathing is a tendency to breathe in too much, then to want to increase work rate, and then start having the heart rate creep up. Nose breathing just seems more a way to control pace of breathing and to be more mindful of how fast, how much you are breathing. long story short is I have more shorter term intensity through mouth breathing, more endurance and staying power probably while using paced nose breathing.

All that said just a punter. I've never had formalized instruction in cardio workouts or weights. just do what feels right. I don't like spin classes, cycle classes, Gym instruction, or any of that. Really find that kind of thing annoying. I workout to avoid stress. Last thing I need is some ahole yelling at me to cycle harder, lift harder, any of that crap. Motivate myself. Trainers can go work with other people.

ps I didn't watch the breathing video and won't. I'm obstinate like that. heh

just commenting on this reminded me of a fun song. first time I heard it I was driving and lol at a singer singing about "I'm not that good at breathing in" I can relate to that..

Last edited:

oobga

Tier 2 Fan
Aug 1, 2003
And in the process, remove the jobs of the guys from the store whose jobs it is to go out and round them up and bring 'em in.

I wonder how many people are employed on the basis of 5% of shopping carts being scattered around the lot rather than inside the return areas. Probably not many, if any. I think we all need to participate in cart scattering around lots if we really want to become job creators ;)

Reactions: Haggard

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Minneapolis literally on fire right now. Damn.

Their mayor tried his best yesterday with an impassioned speech, but it wasn't enough to stop the protests from getting out of control.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad