OT: Severe Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Good morning! Hopefully everyone is warm and safe from this historic blizzard! Truly an amazing meteorological event!

Im too exhausted right now to have more than just a simple discussion, but next weekend another nor easter may affect our area. As of now, and this is as of NOW, the temps may be too warm. But a buddy of mine believes their will be cooling ahead of the storm. There will be high pressure to the north which will put the storm in a precarious position to pummel our region if temps cooperate. But for now, stay warm, and enjoy the snow :)

Well see what the models start telling us Tuesday.

crazy storm. Looks like 2 feet here....not particularly worried about the next one, computer models are going to have a hard time modelling with this enormous snow pack over the eastern seaboard, expect models to change significantly over the next 2 days. first blush is it'll be way too warm to worry about big snows if that storm ever does come to fruition.

one thing is for sure, February is going to be a much above normal month....this event alone earned us that one. Hopefully we're one and done for this winter.....

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
and then there will be less snow the next time you go out there. which is easier ( and less heart attack inducing ) shoveling 5" of snow 6 times or 30" of snow all at once?

Two and a half hours with the snowblower this morning and I'm all set. I lived in the suburbs through exactly one storm before I got one.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
Who remembers news 12 Friday morning saying 6-12 but closer to 6 lolol!!!!

I GOT 28 BEEPING INCHES JUST LIKE EVERYONE ELSE

Lonny Quinn all day saying its dry slotting, going south, thursday night saying LI gets 4-8 inches....what total hacks. this is what happens when you rely on a hack...

from wikipedia
" He holds a Federal Aviation Administration certificate in meteorology and consistently works on advancing his formal meteorological training."

he's got an FAA certificate? Is that like the Ben and Jerry's Ice cream making certificate i got from Penn State? it's an insult to real meteorologists everywhere, tbh. you could tell how he was talking about the storm, its dynamics, causes etc...he didnt really know what he was talking about....

nyisles

Apr 4, 2006
Western Suffolk
We got well over 2' in southwest Suffolk, probably around 28in based on what others have reported. Spent about 3 hours between last night and this morning clearing a path to the street and digging out our truck. Expecting to spend a couple more hours tonight digging out the driveway to liberate my car, including the 5' ridge of rock-hard plowed snow that probably weighs a million pounds blocking the end :cry:

Meanwhile my parents were bragging earlier about their neighbor with a ****in' mini front loader who went around clearing every driveway in the neighborhood in a matter of minutes. Maybe it's time to move back home :laugh:

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
We got well over 2' in southwest Suffolk, probably around 28in based on what others have reported. Spent about 3 hours between last night and this morning clearing a path to the street and digging out our truck. Expecting to spend a couple more hours tonight digging out the driveway to liberate my car, including the 5' ridge of rock-hard plowed snow that probably weighs a million pounds blocking the end :cry:

Meanwhile my parents were bragging earlier about their neighbor with a ****in' mini front loader who went around clearing every driveway in the neighborhood in a matter of minutes. Maybe it's time to move back home :laugh:

I got everything done in about four hours; the major stuff in 2 1/2, then the path to the backyard, excess in the driveway, etc. Then got a huge assist from our plow guys, who told everyone out (which was my entire block) to move their cars. Then he and a second plow came right to the curb, took care of whatever was left. A real mitzvah on their part.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
The Euro puts a foot of snow on LI Next weekend, with a low spinning off the delmarva coast. Just having some fun today :)

Btw, theres no scenario that sees this go out to sea IMHO. Its either a rain or snow event next weekend. It depends where the low tracks and if it bombs again. Also depends how much cold air is pulled south. Early indications are that the cold air will reach LI in time for the second nor easter.

Hey, maybe the weather guys in here should hold a podcast?

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
The Euro puts a foot of snow on LI Next weekend, with a low spinning off the delmarva coast. Just having some fun today :)

Btw, theres no scenario that sees this go out to sea IMHO. Its either a rain or snow event next weekend. It depends where the low tracks and if it bombs again. Also depends how much cold air is pulled south. Early indications are that the cold air will reach LI in time for the second nor easter.

Hey, maybe the weather guys in here should hold a podcast?

Seriously, or are you just messing with us? I'm down for more snow, but as a snowboarder, I want more of it upstate and in New England. This was just a nuisance more than anything else... got to play in the truck a little bit though!

islesjuncky

Jun 15, 2014
new york
Seriously, or are you just messing with us? I'm down for more snow, but as a snowboarder, I want more of it upstate and in New England. This was just a nuisance more than anything else... got to play in the truck a little bit though!

No she ain't bs ING rides neat the 40/70

I'll hold a podcast

But i have doubts in this storm

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014

I mean, at this point, youd hope people would think you were being serious lol nope, not kidding at all. There are a ton of ingredients that have to line up for us to have a nor easter next weekend. We can have a better discussion tuesday.

QuadDeuces

Jul 16, 2006
Salt Lake City
I mean, at this point, youd hope people would think you were being serious lol nope, not kidding at all. There are a ton of ingredients that have to line up for us to have a nor easter next weekend. We can have a better discussion tuesday.

Is the EuroWX worth the subscription? I'm no meteorologist, but have always been interested in it. Is it good for an amateur trying to learn or better for someone already well versed in the topic?

BossyMVP

Die SABRES die
Jun 27, 2011
Long Island

Truthfully, I think it would be more a HV and north west storm but if cold air gets in here, then all bets are off. This one is coming directly from the gulf so it will be really warm.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Truthfully, I think it would be more a HV and north west storm but if cold air gets in here, then all bets are off. This one is coming directly from the gulf so it will be really warm.

This far out, the jackpot zone is w and north of long island. Like i said, too many factors to sort out right now. A storm of some kind will be in our area next weekend. If it hugs the coast and we can get cold air from the high pressure system to the north, we all learned how things can change quick.

So for now, just be aware and we will track it together this week. And btw, im a "he" not a she for the poster above :<

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Is the EuroWX worth the subscription? I'm no meteorologist, but have always been interested in it. Is it good for an amateur trying to learn or better for someone already well versed in the topic?

Meteorology is something that is learned, and then perfected. To look at any one model and understand without an idea of what you're looking for, well.. Thats tough. Experts study the atmosphere and look at information, not just what happens on a surface level. I hope that provides some insight.

The NWS has already put out its first words on the possibility of a storm. They have it tracking southeast of LI as of their latest:

Fri/sat still lots of uncertainty.

Upton, NY on the late week threat..
HIGH PRESSURE WILL BE BUILDING IN FROM THE WEST GOING INTO THURSDAY BUT IT WILL BE BRIEF AS ITS MAGNITUDE IS CONVEYED BY MODELS TO BE WEAK. IT QUICKLY RETREATS INTO THE CANADIAN MARITIMES BY FRIDAY WITH ANOTHER AREA OF LOW PRESSURE MOVING SOUTHEAST OF LONG ISLAND. MODELS
DIVERGE WITH THE SOLUTION HERE BUT THERE WILL BE ANOTHER CHANCE OF SNOW HEADING LATE INTO THE WEEK. TOO MUCH UNCERTAINTY FOR ANY SPECIFICS YET ON AMOUNTS AND TIMING OF ANY PRECIPITATION.

That high they speak of retreating into the canadian maritimes will be responsible for providing the cold air required for this area of low pressure to evolve into anything for our area. Im 60/40 that it wont be able to, ill explain why as i look at the information provided in the days to come. But in short, the system is going to come with a ton of warmer moisture, so you can imagine what will be required from the north for this to turn into a winter storm.

Last edited:
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad