OT: Severe Weather Discussion

Status
Not open for further replies.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
I also hate to say this, but you guys do know that next weekend.....

Well, ill wait before we start that discussion. Keep the snowblowers out.

stranger34

Mar 6, 2007
Nassau County
Never, ever again will I listen to any other "expert" regarding a potential storm. You have been dead on since the middle of the week. You are the go to source. Take a bow!

The others in this thread are also great. It is their cumulative knowledge that makes this thread so tremendous.

:handclap::handclap::handclap::handclap:

BelovedIsles

Oct 22, 2005
I don't even live in LI and I'm enjoying this HF style weather forecasting! Wish I still lived in Suffolk right about now.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
I believe the term "wild dump" is appropriate right now. suffolk and eastern nassau getting absolutely annihilated right now. Main snow band is slowly slowly creeping back south east while a plume of moisture from the atlantic is pushing NW...where they collide...watch out.

Probably have like 19" here, or well, we did 20 min ago...

bvon44

Jul 3, 2006
Long Island
For any other folks on here like me who were headed to the Springsteen show tomorrow night at MSG, it's been officially postponed.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, snow bands not quite as intense, deformation band sagging south....another few hours of good accumulating snows, then occasional light stuff through the overnight hours....

what. a. storm.

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
For those keeping track, it takes the low off the coast of baltimore- SNJ which basically buries LI under almost 2 ft of snow.
baltimore doesnt have a "coast" man.......we are in the middle of the state. ( just busting balls here bud, no insult intended. its all in fun. )

im in he north end of baltimore city and there is about 20" of snow outside my apartment building. normally i would be out there building snow forts and an igloo and snow women......but we also have a steady 15 MPH wind with gusts of about 30 to 35 MPH. but im well stocked with beer and cigarettes so no worries there. my heating unit died last sunday and baltimore gas and electric is scheduled to replace it tuesday. perfect timing eh?
we have been hit worse though. about 10-12 years ago we got about 3' in less than 24 hours and 3 days later got hit with another 2.5 to 3'. it shut this city down for 2 damned weeks too!!!!!

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Pushing 2 feet in smithtown. The storm is absolutely cranking right now. Expect thunder snow soon widespread over LI and lightning in these bands. Go hang outside and bring your camera and enjoy it!

These are 3 in per hour bands right now. Storm is just roaring right now and this is with 2 feet island wide already. Another foot will come from these bands.

Those in brooklyn, long beach and the city: real fear of flooding as high tide rolls in. Hudson 4 ft above normal right now and thats without the tide. This is the part that gets dangerous. Wildwood NJ under water. Pier at atlantic city is under water.

Flooding was way worse than expected I think.
Islip airport is very generous with its snow fall totals and they are at 21" right now and just received 1" last hour. NWS has stopped snow total reports for awhile now for some reason.

glimmer of light at the end of the tunnel, snow bands not quite as intense, deformation band sagging south....another few hours of good accumulating snows, then occasional light stuff through the overnight hours....

what. a. storm.
Islip only got 1" last hour. I think Islip will total out at 2'. The observer at Islip also measures the snow up after every hour and totals it up. I am sure this snow is packing pretty well with how heavy it is. Dont think we will beat the storm from 2013.

Space Herpe

Arch Duke of Raleigh
Aug 29, 2008
Sooooo.....

I live about 15 miles south east of Raleigh.
We were hit with freezing rain and ice.

We lost power at 3:00 pm yesterday.
Went to a local hotel.

The estimate for power restoration is 11pm on Monday.

Ugh.

1calledsteve

Dec 17, 2013
Long Island
Still reporting from South East long island. Neighboring towns experiencing intermittent power losses. As of about 2 hours ago we were at about 2ft. Difficult for an accurate measurement due to drifting snow. Winds have picked up and so has the snow.

I'm expecting the snow to continue so heavy falls for the next few hours. So minor lighting and thunder which is always a site to see.

Hearing from so friends and family in the know that parts of the LIE will be closing overnight and tomorrow for plowing.

Stay safe and warm everyone. Always remember prepare for the worst and hope for the best.

wingnutks

Nov 17, 2011
Im in Ronkonkoma... deepest I could find in the middle of my yard was 17"... alot of compaction going on.

Abe Vukota

Free 2ndGenIslander
Jul 23, 2007
Why shovel while it's still coming down hard? I went out, dug a path, and it was filled by the time I finished.

Came in, had a beer.

TeamKidd

Aug 9, 2004
still going strong, but suppression is coming from the NW, next two hours it should slacken off noticeably....hopefully... more than enough

ichabod13

Oct 5, 2010
Baltimore Maryland
Why shovel while it's still coming down hard? I went out, dug a path, and it was filled by the time I finished.

Came in, had a beer.

and then there will be less snow the next time you go out there. which is easier ( and less heart attack inducing ) shoveling 5" of snow 6 times or 30" of snow all at once?

TROLLCHUK

Jul 1, 2006
and then there will be less snow the next time you go out there. which is easier ( and less heart attack inducing ) shoveling 5" of snow 6 times or 30" of snow all at once?

My snow blower passed it's cardiac stress test. All good. I shoveled out the patio and steps twice already. Saving the rest for the snow blower tomorrow.

GTislanders

Jan 9, 2014
Good morning! Hopefully everyone is warm and safe from this historic blizzard! Truly an amazing meteorological event!

Im too exhausted right now to have more than just a simple discussion, but next weekend another nor easter may affect our area. As of now, and this is as of NOW, the temps may be too warm. But a buddy of mine believes their will be cooling ahead of the storm. There will be high pressure to the north which will put the storm in a precarious position to pummel our region if temps cooperate. But for now, stay warm, and enjoy the snow :)

Well see what the models start telling us Tuesday.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad