OT: OT Non-ski Resort Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
Couple observations..

1. Headphone jacks are like 50 year old technology and pretty much useless.

2. Thats the worst plan for the money ive ever seen.

Bam19

Apr 3, 2008
Any cell phone plan experts here? My two year contract with Rogers is about to run out and I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 6 and don't plan on getting a new phone until Apple retrieves their head from their ass and gives me back my headphone jack. Also not switching to any non-apple like Google or Samsung or what not. Paying about $70 a month for 500mb of data, voicemail and call display, unlimited text and 200 minutes which I never go over. I could stick with my current plan on month to month but now that I've paid off my phone entirely it feels like I'm giving them money for free which I'm not cool with because I hate them.

Anyone got any tips here or past experience with this? Trying to arm myself with as much knowledge about this as possible before I phone them and go through the grind. I'd like to stay with Rogers if possible as I get decent coverage with them compared to my past experience with Bell and Telus but I have no loyalty to any of these jerks.

You could probably get a much better plan for the same price, maybe marginally cheaper but not much.

Best deals are on carriers like freedom but there coverage is ******, though they are owned by shaw now so it might improve.

Also the headphone jack won't be coming back other companies are getting rid of it now.

Pip

Feb 2, 2012
Granduland
A carrier like Freedom might be good but it all depends on where you live, work etc. Personally I don't have a lot of issues with coverage but it can be frustrating in some areas.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
A carrier like Freedom might be good but it all depends on where you live, work etc. Personally I don't have a lot of issues with coverage but it can be frustrating in some areas.

This. I've been with Wind/Freedom for over a year now and I've had no problems with it. There's the occasional spot where I lose coverage but it lasts for all of about 10 seconds. As long as you stay in the Lower Mainland, it's generally fine. Definitely worth $40/month for unlimited everything.

That being said, I've heard that there are some issues with iPhones and MMS on Freedom's network so I couldn't say for sure that someone with an iPhone would have the same experience as me.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
Couple observations..

1. Headphone jacks are like 50 year old technology and pretty much useless.

2. Thats the worst plan for the money ive ever seen.

Last time I talked to them they offered a bunch of other crap I don't care about for more money. I never go over my data so that's not an issue for me. Everyone I know either pays more or pays less but has some garbage phone. I didn't pay anything for my phone when I got the plan and it was fairly new at the the time which definitely drove up the price. Who do you have your plan with and how much?

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014

I live on Vancouver Island so I got Rogers, Bell or Telus and last time I was on Bell it always cut out and was basically useless over here. So Rogers or Telus. We don't get Wind or any of those other good deal companies over here last I checked.

And until my pricey noise cancelling headphones breakdown I'm sticking with a headphone jack. Especially working in an office with a ton of bluetooth devices all screwing with each other.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Last time I talked to them they offered a bunch of other crap I don't care about for more money. I never go over my data so that's not an issue for me. Everyone I know either pays more or pays less but has some garbage phone. I didn't pay anything for my phone when I got the plan and it was fairly new at the the time which definitely drove up the price. Who do you have your plan with and how much?

If you're using your old phone in a new plan, the price should be much cheaper this time around since the cost of the phone won't be included in your monthly bill.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If you're using your old phone in a new plan, the price should be much cheaper this time around since the cost of the phone won't be included in your monthly bill.

Yeah that's what I was wondering about. You have to get your phone unlocked first though right? I believe that's only $50, unless they raised that too. I think that is the route I'm going to take. You guys are lucky you have viable non-Rogers/Telus options over there. Same with home internet. We had a good alternative here for a few months (Orange?) for home internet but it got bought by one of the three evil companies and ruined pretty fast.

Intoewsables

Jul 30, 2009
Toronto
Yeah that's what I was wondering about. You have to get your phone unlocked first though right? I believe that's only $50, unless they raised that too. I think that is the route I'm going to take. You guys are lucky you have viable non-Rogers/Telus options over there. Same with home internet. We had a good alternative here for a few months (Orange?) for home internet but it got bought by one of the three evil companies and ruined pretty fast.

If you're planning on switching providers, then yeah, you'll likely have to get your phone unlocked. If you're just looking at getting another plan through Rogers, you should be fine.

PM

Glass not 1/2 full
Apr 8, 2014
If you're planning on switching providers, then yeah, you'll likely have to get your phone unlocked. If you're just looking at getting another plan through Rogers, you should be fine.

Cool thanks!

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
Any cell phone plan experts here? My two year contract with Rogers is about to run out and I'm perfectly happy with my iPhone 6 and don't plan on getting a new phone until Apple retrieves their head from their ass and gives me back my headphone jack. Also not switching to any non-apple like Google or Samsung or what not. Paying about $70 a month for 500mb of data, voicemail and call display, unlimited text and 200 minutes which I never go over. I could stick with my current plan on month to month but now that I've paid off my phone entirely it feels like I'm giving them money for free which I'm not cool with because I hate them.

Anyone got any tips here or past experience with this? Trying to arm myself with as much knowledge about this as possible before I phone them and go through the grind. I'd like to stay with Rogers if possible as I get decent coverage with them compared to my past experience with Bell and Telus but I have no loyalty to any of these jerks.

Man that plan is horrible or maybe that's the norm now? I got a corporate plan through Rogers 4 years ago:

$50.00 plus HST per month
5GB of data
350 Outgoing Weekday Minutes
250 Canadian long distance minutes

$70 for 500mb of data seems obscene to me. I hate Rogers, but I can't leave now because if I do I forfeit my old plan - so I am stuck with an original iPhone 5 - unless I go and buy one not subsidized.

One thing I would check were I you, is if you qualify for any corporate, government, or organizational plans.

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city

I'm not an expert but I can tell you one thing do NOT go with Fido. I struggled to find service in my house, my friends would have to FaceTime audio me everytime they wanted to call :laugh:.

VanillaCoke

Oct 30, 2013
I'm not an expert but I can tell you one thing do NOT go with Fido. I struggled to find service in my house, my friends would have to FaceTime audio me everytime they wanted to call :laugh:.

***** do you live... been with fido for over 10 years and no problems.

Call to cancel and get a better deal lol

canwincup

Aug 28, 2008
Van city
***** do you live... been with fido for over 10 years and no problems.

Call to cancel and get a better deal lol

South Surrey, I switched to Telus after my contract expired. I know a decent amount of people that had the same problems with Fido.

Drove me insane, especially because my GF had a Samsung and it would take numerous attempts to respond to her texts lol.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
I have had no problems with Fido's network. It shouldn't be any different than Rogers, same network no?

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
I also love Spotify. Have ran into songs I have completely forgotten about numerous times.

The Stig

Your hero.
Feb 14, 2013
Maple Ridge B.C.
Don't you mean, this is commander Shepard and Spotify is the best app on the the Citadel.

Maybe if I was paragon...

shepardmale.jpg

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated: