OT: OT Non-Ski Resort Thread Part ∞+6 Stig Gets a Cat Edition

Status
Not open for further replies.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
Modern day slavery plantation? Yeah, ok. I mean, on one hand you have slaves that were beaten, raped, bought and sold and treated worse than cattle, on the other hand you have athletes many of which are going to school tuition free with room and board paid on their behalf - and those that are are not on scholarships being kids that are more than likely coming from significant means.

This might be the most asinine and completely ridiculous statements I have ever read.

Does the NCAA rules and regulations unfairly prevent the student athletes from making a living? Sure. Is it comparable to slavery? No, not in the least.

That is exactly the line that the NCAA likes to defend itself with.

If you read my links...
You will find that not every scholarship kid lives on campus.
Somehow...
Almost all of them...
Rather they live on campus or not...
Live at or below the poverty line.
Do you wonder why that is the case?
If an organization purposefully suppress someone's earning power to zero...
While it keeps all the profits...
How is that not slave labour?

You mention the lack of beatings...
But there are actually quite a bit of videos...
That show college coaches abuse their players.
Most of the time it is verbal...
But sometimes...
It does turn physical.
In a lot of these cases...
The coaches would probably get away with it too...
Because they have all the power...
And they probably would have kept their job too...
If the videos did not leak out.

Also...
Abuse does not always have to be physical.
A lot of these former players do not dare to speak up...
Because they are afraid to lose their scholarship...
As this is the only way for them to attend college...
And their only chance to get national exposure...
In order to become a higher draft pick.
Fear is how NCAA keeps its athletes in line...
And it is a form of psychological and emotional abuse.

I know we disagree on a lot of things....
But the bottomline is...
Do you really think that it is okay for a person to be forced to go to bed hungry...
Just because of some medieval rules to protect "amateurism"?
How is that not a form of slave punishment?

Last edited:

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
hahahahahaha what the show was
SIGNIFICANTLY better than the movie.

Are you effing high? The movie nailed crazy HS football to a tee, and the pressures, expectations, and camaraderie that come with it. The TV show was just another teen drama where they played football sometimes.

PG Canuck

Mar 29, 2010
So is anyone gonna check out the Canucks sports bar? I'm hoping it'll be as good as some of the ones they have in Toronto. Vancouver currently doesn't really have a good sports bar.

Probably will once in awhile, but not something I can afford too often. I imagine it'll be expensive.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
That is exactly the line that the NCAA likes to defend itself with.

If you read my links...
You will find that not every scholarship kid lives on campus.
Somehow...
Almost all of them...
Rather they live on campus or not...
Live at or below the poverty line.
Do you wonder why that is the case?
If an organization purposefully suppress someone's earning power to zero...
While it keeps all the profits...
How is that not slave labour?

You mention the lack of beatings...
But there are actually quite a bit of videos...
That show college coaches abuse their players.
Most of the time it is verbal...
But sometimes...
It does turn physical.
In a lot of these cases...
The coaches would probably get away with it too...
Because they have all the power...
And they probably would have kept their job too...
If the videos did not leak out.

Also...
Abuse does not always have to be physical.
A lot of these former players do not dare to speak up...
Because they are afraid to lose their scholarship...
As this is the only way for them to attend college...
And their only chance to get national exposure...
In order to become a higher draft pick.
Fear is how NCAA keeps its athletes in line...
And it is a form of psychological and emotional abuse.

I know we disagree on a lot of things....
But the bottomline is...
Do you really think that it is okay for a person to be forced to go to bed hungry...
Just because of some medieval rules to protect "amateurism"?
How is that not a form of slave punishment?

It's not the same as actual slavery. Sorry. Not even close.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

They make millions and millions off of people who don't make a dime. It is not the same as an 1800's plantation, but it certainly fits the definition of slavery

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016
They make millions and millions off of people who don't make a dime. It is not the same as an 1800's plantation, but it certainly fits the definition of slavery

These people are of their own free will, no? Am I mistaken? Have they been kidnapped by these schools and forced to work under the threat of whips, dogs, hangings? Are they actually shackled? If they disobey the Dean, are they executed?

Give me a break. it's offensive to make this sort of a comparison. I know this poet guy is your boy, but get off it.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009

I have stated my case...
And I have actual data and evidence to back up my points...
But it is perfectly fine if you do not agree with me.
You and I are just in complete disagreement with one another.

nameless1

Apr 29, 2009
These people are of their own free will, no? Am I mistaken? Have they been kidnapped by these schools and forced to work under the threat of whips, dogs, hangings? Are they actually shackled? If they disobey the Dean, are they executed?

Give me a break. it's offensive to make this sort of a comparison. I know this poet guy is your boy, but get off it.

Do try to find some of those videos where coaches actually beat the players.
They are on youtube...
And I have seen my fair share of them.

Plus...
Emotional and psychological abuse are also forms of abuse.
If they fear that they will lose their scholarship...
And their only way to get a good life...
Simply by speaking out...
That is a form of "shackle".
These days...
Not everything needs a physical manifestation.

Please give the other posters some credit.
They do not back me up...
Just because they like me.
Rather...
I have gotten into arguments with them too...
And they will get on me if I am completely wrong.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Are you effing high? The movie nailed crazy HS football to a tee, and the pressures, expectations, and camaraderie that come with it. The TV show was just another teen drama where they played football sometimes.

Absolutely ridiculous, just a bat**** crazy opinion. Luckily literally every website has the show rated significantly higher anyway too.

The show depicted high school football perfectly along with fantastic character development and brilliant writing.

The show was significantly better than the movie, and literally every critique agrees with me.

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012

You're clueless. Unable to understand some else's point without going to an extreme. There are a handful of definitions for the word. Below is the particular one we are referring to.

slav·er·y
ˈslāv(ə)rē/
noun
noun: slavery

a condition compared to that of a slave in respect of exhausting labor or restricted freedom.
"female domestic slavery"
synonyms: drudgery, toil, hard labor, grind; More
literarytravail;

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
Absolutely ridiculous, just a bat**** crazy opinion. Luckily literally every website has the show rated significantly higher anyway too.

The show depicted high school football perfectly along with fantastic character development and brilliant writing.

The show was significantly better than the movie, and literally every critique agrees with me.

I watched the first season of the show. To me seemed exactly like The OC or One Tree Hill with a little football on the side.

Friday Night Lights is one of the best football movies ever, and my personal favorite. The movie told the REAL story of the REAL team. The show changed so much it wasn't real.

What makes the show so much better?

Rotting Corpse*

Sep 20, 2003
Kelowna, BC
I won't call it slavery but running highly profitable organizations which profit solely from the backs off persons who are risking severe injury every day and not making a dime is definitely exploitation, and when you hear the stories of some of the coaches making millions of dollars and abusing the players, it's pretty gross.

And I don't think much higher of the CHL.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
I watched the first season of the show. To me seemed exactly like The OC or One Tree Hill with a little football on the side.

Friday Night Lights is one of the best football movies ever, and my personal favorite. The movie told the REAL story of the REAL team. The show changed so much it wasn't real.

The first season of Friday Night Lights was simply fantastic, I understand that it may cater to a different target market but it depicted small town Texas football fantastically. while also tackling issues like race and class (black hearts was an absolutely fantastic written episode)

Friday Night Lights was able to perfectly depict high school football because it simply didn't just focus on the field, it focused on how football impacts these kids in their personal lives, it shows how these young men are put into the spotlit and made into icons and hero's at a young age. It shows the struggles that are faced in small town America and how football is used as an escape and how football brings their community together. No matter your age, gender or race you're going to be at Herman field on Friday night watching the Dillon Panthers play. Sure a lot of the plot lines are focused around teenage issues, it's to be expected considering the show is depicting high school football.

It's a show based around family, community and values.

Just look at the rating it received, I've watched at least 20 TV series' and I can comfortably say FNL was my favorite by a country mile. Take a look at the ratings the show got, this isn't some "hot take" this show was fantastic and was criminally underrated.

Beansy*

Sep 10, 2016

Totally agree. Most football moves are garbage, but that one is exceptional. Hoosiers and Friday Night Lights are two of the best sports movies. Maybe that's because they are not telling the stories of professionals.

I like Youngblood too, even though it is a trashy mess. Nostalgia I guess.

Addison Rae

Jun 2, 2009
Vancouver
Totally agree. Most football moves are garbage, but that one is exceptional. Hoosiers and Friday Night Lights are two of the best sports movies. Maybe that's because they are not telling the stories of professionals.

I liked Friday Night Lights the movIe, don't get me wrong. But personally I feel the show was just simply much better. Have you watched the show? If not give it a try, you won't be disappointed.

Hit the post

I have your gold medal Zippy!
Oct 1, 2015
Hiding under WTG's bed...

The Rocket gets honorable mention from me if for no other reason Avery gets his (yeah it's just a movie..)

Captain Bowie

Jan 18, 2012
The first season of Friday Night Lights was simply fantastic, I understand that it may cater to a different target market but it depicted small town Texas football fantastically. while also tackling issues like race and class (black hearts was an absolutely fantastic written episode)

Friday Night Lights was able to perfectly depict high school football because it simply didn't just focus on the field, it focused on how football impacts these kids in their personal lives, it shows how these young men are put into the spotlit and made into icons and hero's at a young age. It shows the struggles that are faced in small town America and how football is used as an escape and how football brings their community together. No matter your age, gender or race you're going to be at Herman field on Friday night watching the Dillon Panthers play. Sure a lot of the plot lines are focused around teenage issues, it's to be expected considering the show is depicting high school football.

It's a show based around family, community and values.

Just look at the rating it received, I've watched at least 20 TV series' and I can comfortably say FNL was my favorite by a country mile. Take a look at the ratings the show got, this isn't some "hot take" this show was fantastic and was criminally underrated.

Obviously this comes down to taste, but "Ratings" isn't the best to judge the quality of a show.

Brock Boeser

Mar 11, 2013
the actor who played jason looked toooo much like Bo I had to double check if that wasn't a sibling or something

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad