OT: New Canadian Soccer League?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
World Cup coming to Canada with only BC Place? We need to build at least 8 big stadiums forget about it.

If it comes to America it will be in the USA and USA only.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
We had the Women World Cup which was a major success, there's close to 0 chance we get the men's.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Seems fair to me - you already have

Toronto - BMO Field
Vancouver - BC Place
Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium

Then you have either an Olympic Stadium refurbish or new stadium in Montreal, and expand out the stadiums in Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa, Regina and Hamilton. And there's 9 host cities. Maybe a new stadium in QC or out east.

The big legacy of a 2026 WC that FIFA wants is that it will be that it will be played, to an extent, on artificial surfaces.

Take Ottawa there are some hints they might not want to join the CPL now what if the CSA says we will give you a world group if you join the CPL that could really be helpful for them.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
World Cup coming to Canada with only BC Place? We need to build at least 8 big stadiums forget about it.

If it comes to America it will be in the USA and USA only.

1)Bmo Field would need a major upgrade which is possible.

2)Td Stadium can be increase to 40,000 which would be fine for group games and round of 16 and qf.

3)Big O would need major upgrading but has enough seats.

4)Tim Hortons Field can be increased to 30,000 which would be fine for some group games.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON

2)Td Stadium can be increase to 40,000 which would be fine for group games and round of 16 and qf.

4)Tim Hortons Field can be increased to 30,000 which would be fine for some group games.

Plus there are stadiums big enough win Winnipeg and Regina with temp seating.

If Calgary gets a new one then it could be a host city too. This can be what's needed to get government funding should the 2026 winter games don't happen.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
The difference is there are many that still see Mls as second tier now as for the Cpl I think there issue will be not so much Mls but the Usl.

That was my understanding too that Ottawa won't be part of the inaugural season(s). Part of that is the USL wanting a minimum number of years from the Fury before they go anywhere. Could be wrong on that front.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
That was my understanding too that Ottawa won't be part of the inaugural season(s). Part of that is the USL wanting a minimum number of years from the Fury before they go anywhere. Could be wrong on that front.

I think the fear is how good is the CPL going to be that is what scares like the Fury and others off.

Bruins1233

Apr 30, 2016

It would be cool for a joint US/CAN Bid, with Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Boston being main Hosts, and Ralph Wilson Stadium Hosting the Final.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
Guys let's be serious those small time cfl stadiums are not getting anywhere near hosting world cup games. No chance at all. Just look at all the stadiums that have been used for the past few and next few world cups. Almost all new and state of the art stadiums. At the moment the only one that could be use is Bc Place and I repeat if Fifa comes to America it will be USA. Let's talk about the Canadian League...

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Guys let's be serious those small time cfl stadiums are not getting anywhere near hosting world cup games. No chance at all. Just look at all the stadiums that have been used for the past few and next few world cups. Almost all new and state of the art stadiums. At the moment the only one that could be use is Bc Place and I repeat if Fifa comes to America it will be USA. Let's talk about the Canadian League...

If its in the States you might get one or 2 new state of the art stadiums but that's it if you look at the rumors Chicago/Detroit/Tampa/New York/Minnesota/La/Dc likely would host now with that said people said Canada would never get the 2025 world cup of rugby but we did.

Big McLargehuge

Fragile Traveler
May 9, 2002
S. Pasadena, CA
It would be cool for a joint US/CAN Bid, with Toronto, Montreal, Buffalo, Ottawa, Detroit, Boston being main Hosts, and Ralph Wilson Stadium Hosting the Final.

Buffalo hosts the World Cup Final...Buffalo. Not New York City, not LA, not Toronto, not Chicago, not Montreal, not even Boston...but Buffalo...a relatively small city who not only doesn't have a MLS team, but doesn't have a professional team at all (FC Buffalo is in the same league as such storied franchises as the Joplin Demize and Buxmont Torch).

Oi.

Canada hosting the World Cup in general just doesn't make much sense to me, way too many stadiums of sizes that don't make sense beyond a World Cup are required (and Olympic Stadium is in no way, shape, or form an acceptable venue without throwing hundreds of millions more into that money pit)...but it sure as hell makes more sense than Qatar. That shouldn't be the bar set to host a World Cup, though...

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
If its in the States you might get one or 2 new state of the art stadiums but that's it if you look at the rumors Chicago/Detroit/Tampa/New York/Minnesota/La/Dc likely would host now with that said people said Canada would never get the 2025 world cup of rugby but we did.

Im actually happy Canada got that, as a casual rugby watcher I prefer League much more over Union.

Scandale du Jour

JordanStaal#1Fan
Mar 11, 2002
Asbestos, Qc
www.angelfire.com

Well, the reason why they are launching this Canadian League is because they want the World Cup. Both topics kinda go hand in hand.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008

HUH??? NY/LA/Minny alone is 3 brand new stadiums....add in Jerryworld. No country on the planet, hell really no continent outside Europe can compete with the US in state of the art stadiums.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
HUH??? NY/LA/Minny alone is 3 brand new stadiums....add in Jerryworld. No country on the planet, hell really no continent outside Europe can compete with the US in state of the art stadiums.

Atlanta as well, the new stadium there sounds like it's going to be a palace.

bluesfan94

Jan 7, 2008
St. Louis
And cities keep building. St. Louis is looking to build a nice new stadium. Not that we'd necessarily host a game, but we should

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

And compared to Europe the states is small time.

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
So no latest news concerning this Canadian League? My question is how this league could be working financially. It's gonna be seen as 3rd rate behind MLS and USL. Who will watch on tv who will watch those games? I'm all for it from a soccer standpoint but how can it work financially and just imagine the cost of travels.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
So no latest news concerning this Canadian League? My question is how this league could be working financially. It's gonna be seen as 3rd rate behind MLS and USL. Who will watch on tv who will watch those games? I'm all for it from a soccer standpoint but how can it work financially and just imagine the cost of travels.

I doubt it will be seen as 3rd behind USL. No one pays attention to that league up here. How it can do well financially? Just by grazing through the article in the link has a few answers.

Salary cap ranging from 1 to 1.5 million CAD with no high priced DP players. TCS's salary is over 21 million USD. That's a big difference right there.

Who will watch? The same questions we're asked before TFC was launched. The thought of professional soccer catching on here was laughable back then. To my understanding is the teams will be on non-MLS markets. As long as the teams are well run, they'll get their niche.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad