OT: New Canadian Soccer League?

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I sure hope so, would be damn time...
Let's hope then that Ottawa and Edmonton would be in this league so the only Canadian clubs not in it would be the 3 mls teams.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
This League Has Monied Ownership groups lined up, and will have a national TV deal from the get-go.

Is it a Risk? yes. Its not however a unfounded one. There is no reason why they can't succeed in Having a National League that runs parallel to the CFL with 10,000 People at the average match.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I doubt it will be seen as 3rd behind USL. No one pays attention to that league up here. How it can do well financially? Just by grazing through the article in the link has a few answers.

Salary cap ranging from 1 to 1.5 million CAD with no high priced DP players. TCS's salary is over 21 million USD. That's a big difference right there.

Who will watch? The same questions we're asked before TFC was launched. The thought of professional soccer catching on here was laughable back then. To my understanding is the teams will be on non-MLS markets. As long as the teams are well run, they'll get their niche.

This is why I love that CFL teams are so heavily involved. They should know how to run a smaller scale league financially.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
This is why I love that CFL teams are so heavily involved. They should know how to run a smaller scale league financially.

My only hangup is that unlike the CFL, there is no real difference to make it distinct from the other major soccer league in NA besides for being CANADIAN. (How many times have we heard people say you shouldnt watch CFL simply cause its Canadian?)

This is my personal view. but part of why I watch the CFL is because its local, but the bigger part is because I prefer the different ruleset. Its why I dont really go to local minor baseball or hockey.

So yeah, the CFL ownership groups have been good at running a smaller league, I just wonder if the ones involved here will have the same success. Will follow with interest...

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
My only hangup is that unlike the CFL, there is no real difference to make it distinct from the other major soccer league in NA besides for being CANADIAN. (How many times have we heard people say you shouldnt watch CFL simply cause its Canadian?)

This is my personal view. but part of why I watch the CFL is because its local, but the bigger part is because I prefer the different ruleset. Its why I dont really go to local minor baseball or hockey.

So yeah, the CFL ownership groups have been good at running a smaller league, I just wonder if the ones involved here will have the same success. Will follow with interest...

I think the local aspect is the real key for this league to have success though modest.

I doubt they're really going to create many 'CPL fans' but with good local ownership and management creating fans of the Hamilton Steelers, Winnipeg FC, Saskatchewan United....yes I'm making up those names. But the collective whole is what will need to happen.

On a smaller scale it's happened here. TFC has a very strong niche and obviously mainstream right now, but there's not really much here in terms of being an 'MLS fan' per say.

Fulham

Jan 6, 2015
Soccer Culture is Very different than any other NA sport.

If this league goes about things the right way, and heavily involves the fans and existing grassroots soccer communities in these cities it will succeed. There is a Great podcast episode from the Footy Soldiers(must listen for Canadian soccer fans) about this.

Also Realize that "success" means not o compete with the MLS. But to establish a sustainable league that helps secure a WC bid. and like the CSL previously springboards Canadians to bigger leagues.

Rocko604

Sports will break your heart.
Apr 29, 2009
Vancouver, BC
Guys let's be serious those small time cfl stadiums are not getting anywhere near hosting world cup games. No chance at all. Just look at all the stadiums that have been used for the past few and next few world cups. Almost all new and state of the art stadiums. At the moment the only one that could be use is Bc Place and I repeat if Fifa comes to America it will be USA. Let's talk about the Canadian League...

Yes they could. With the exception of Calgary and Montreal, the other seven are fully capable of hosting World Cup games. Would it happen? Probably not, because like you, I see it going to the USA.

As for the Canadian league, I'm curious if Whitecaps FC2 are lured over. I know they enjoy being in USL Pro.

Wee Baby Seamus

Yo, Goober, where's the meat?
Mar 15, 2011
Halifax/Toronto
Article on potential ownership group of the proposed Halifax based franchise.

https://www.localxpress.ca/local-sports/pro-soccer-league-wants-to-include-halifax-483627

Hopes to build downtown stadium, 8K seats but expandable.

Would be very much on board, although I'm unsure about the Wanderer's Grounds as a spot for an 8000 seat arena. It's right next to the city's Public Gardens and a super historic equestrian club, both of which would probably voice some opposition.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
More then a dozen groups interested in a team

Here is my guess

East

Toronto
Ottawa (Not the Fury)
Montreal
Halifax
Kingston
Hamilton
Quebec City

West

Calgary
Victoria
Regina
Winnipeg
Edmonton (Not Edmonton Fc)
Vancouver

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
You think they're gonna start with an unbalanced league?

No those are the markets I think are interested the league very well could start with 8 teams and grow from there I don't think Ottawa/Toronto/Edmonton and Winnipeg will join until after 2020.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
More then a dozen groups interested in a team

Here is my guess

East

Toronto
Ottawa (Not the Fury)
Montreal
Halifax
Kingston
Hamilton
Quebec City

West

Calgary
Victoria
Regina
Winnipeg
Edmonton (Not Edmonton Fc)
Vancouver

Who would you think that owner would be and where would they play? I doubt OSEG would want to lease TD Place to a competitor. Would Ottawa be big enough to support USL and CPL?

I agree with Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Have them play in the burbs to get their niche. Agreed not Edmonton FC, I think they'll fold along with the NASL once that happens.

Drop Kingston and the 12 are set.

FYI for others, the article referencing it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/28/canada-considers-bidding-options-for-2026-world-cup

Pouchkine

May 20, 2015
I'd be very surprised if Quebec City are there from the beginning. And I don't see Edmonton and Ottawa having two "pro" teams.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
I think they start with six

If Ottawa isn't involved, my guess Calgary/Regina/Winnipeg/Hamilton/GTA/Halifax.

Then if the league survives a couple years, hope that Edmonton/Ottawa jump across and try to expand to the two other MLS cities (Victoria or Laval).

gunnerdom

Go HABS Go!!!!
Jul 14, 2003
Ottawa, Ontario
www.facebook.com
Who would you think that owner would be and where would they play? I doubt OSEG would want to lease TD Place to a competitor. Would Ottawa be big enough to support USL and CPL?

I agree with Toronto, Montreal and Vancouver. Have them play in the burbs to get their niche. Agreed not Edmonton FC, I think they'll fold along with the NASL once that happens.

Drop Kingston and the 12 are set.

FYI for others, the article referencing it.

http://www.torontosun.com/2016/12/28/canada-considers-bidding-options-for-2026-world-cup

There's now way we have a second team in Ottawa. If anything, Ottawa is going to wait at least a year to see how the CSL shapes up, and then eventually jump ship to that league.

Hammer9001

Apr 1, 2015
Hamilton
Rise from your grave thread.

So looks like 7 to start, and I know I am a Forge FC Co-Founder. Just wondering if anyone else on the board is looking at buying seasons.

Reactions: sabremike

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
I'd like check out a York 9FC a game or 2. Being in the east GTA, it's too far for me to commit to seasons.

If successful and a team is added in Ajax/Pickering/Whitby (I'll call it Durham 8FC ) them I'd be in.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad