OT: New Canadian Soccer League?

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?

http://www.northernstartingeleven.com/canadian-premier-league-the-story-so-far/

Sounds like a lot of CFL and NHL ownership groups are interested in getting into the league.

my guess at the 12 interested cities:

Vancouver/Victoria
Edmonton
Calgary
Saskatoon
Regina
Winnipeg
Hamilton
GTA
GTAx2
Ottawa
Montreal/Quebec
Maritimes

(No idea if cities with MLS teams will be interested.)

Will have similar rules to CFL about Canadian Content, which may extend to management and coaching. The league will be separate from the current MLS franchises in Canada.

I believe the past few years, the CSA has restricted applications for pro teams because of these plans.

KingLB

Oct 29, 2008
It will be a first tier league in Canada even if those 3 markets are not involved....at this time.... Or.does that make MLS a second tier to the EPL?

Because there are EPL teams in the US?!?!!?

This league is going to struggle....in the US the break even point for second division sides, which this will basically be in everything but name, is about 5k in attendance. Edmonton can't do that now, and many of the other smaller cities have little to no chance. Word is TSN dropped the MLS games they had due to low ratings. Not sure if they can get a national contract that will offer anything for these teams.

DaveG

Noted Jerk
Apr 7, 2003
Winston-Salem NC
I mean it's not a bad idea at all... but even NASL is struggling as a tier two to MLS. It's going to be hard to get this off the ground and make it sustainable.

The Man in White

Jun 28, 2004
Been in the works for a while now. Huge thread on it in over at the Voyageurs. I personally can't wait and looking forward to more spots in the CCL :D.

Tom ServoMST3K

In search of a Steinbach Hero
Nov 2, 2010
What's your excuse?
I mean it's not a bad idea at all... but even NASL is struggling as a tier two to MLS. It's going to be hard to get this off the ground and make it sustainable.

What makes me optimistic is the high level of CFL involvement.

Say what you will about the CFL, but they know how to run a smaller league, off of mainly gate revenues.

Technically it will be a first tier league, but MLS teams will be higher quality.

DoyleG

Reality sucks, Princesses!
Dec 29, 2008
YEG-->YYJ-->YWG-->YYB

The difference is that all the effort that has been put into MLS for the last decade by the CSA hasn't amounted to much. The national team has gone stagnant, if not backwards, and the promise of a place for Canadian players to play has evaporated.

TV ratings for the playoffs aren't going to change the picture for MLS in Canada. Especially given that regular season ratings on TSN alone are a fractions of what they get for the playoffs. As such, television expectations are more realistic with a CanPL than what MLS had offered.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014

The Nasl is having a had time because there trying to compete with Major League Soccer on the flip side the Usl now has 32 teams and could have 40 with in a couple years.

Mightygoose

Nov 5, 2012
Ajax, ON
Because there are EPL teams in the US?!?!!?

This league is going to struggle....in the US the break even point for second division sides, which this will basically be in everything but name, is about 5k in attendance. Edmonton can't do that now, and many of the other smaller cities have little to no chance. Word is TSN dropped the MLS games they had due to low ratings. Not sure if they can get a national contract that will offer anything for these teams.

Not EPL teams being in the US, but MLS will compete for players (as well as with other leagues) and they'll compete for TV contracts and on some level sponsors. In that way MLS is looked at as 2nd tier to EPL much like many will look at CPL when comparing it to MLS.

I've heard that TSN is dropping MLS too and will braodcast CPL games. The spike in ratings for the TTC-Impact series shows there is a niche audience for the teams in the domestic markets. Having a contract in a league where all of the teams are from a domestic market will be more robust compared to MLS where they'll be at the whim on how TFC, Impact and Whitecaps perform. Won't be big money, just needs to be stable.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
For months people have assumed it was a lock the Ottawa Fury would be in but there have been hints the team is not to interested and plans on staying in the Usl.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
Im not trying to make this into a CFL vs MLS thing.......but if the perception problem the MLS guys say the CFL has with the NFL, doesnt that apply here? Doesnt it apply even moreso because there's not even rule differences to at least make the brand of football different?

Basically, I wonder how the soccer guys think this should be marketed.

Last edited:

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
This should be marketed similar to the CFL since the major players will basically be the same as the CFL.

This is obviously a niche league. The people who don't follow MLS won't follow it, and there's probably a pretty good chunk of people who follow MLS who won't follow it either. The key will be to have no ownership group actually have illusions that they're going to do anything but take losses in the first five years as the league finds its footing.

Also its pretty clear we're angling to host 2026 and a domestic league is needed for that.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Im not trying to make this into a CFL vs MLS thing.......but if the perception problem the MLS guys say the CFL has with the NFL, doesnt that apply here? Doesnt it apply even moreso because there's not even rule differences to at least make the brand of football different?

Basically, I wonder how the soccer guys think this should be marketed.

The difference is there are many that still see Mls as second tier now as for the Cpl I think there issue will be not so much Mls but the Usl.

cutchemist42

Apr 7, 2011
Winnipeg
This should be marketed similar to the CFL since the major players will basically be the same as the CFL.

This is obviously a niche league. The people who don't follow MLS won't follow it, and there's probably a pretty good chunk of people who follow MLS who won't follow it either. The key will be to have no ownership group actually have illusions that they're going to do anything but take losses in the first five years as the league finds its footing.

Also its pretty clear we're angling to host 2026 and a domestic league is needed for that.

You need a domestic league to still host a portion of it?

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
Will be sooner than that ;)

If Montagliani can get the government funding we are an absolute lock for 2026.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Will be sooner than that ;)

If Montagliani can get the government funding we are an absolute lock for 2026.

If the feds fund it there going to want games Canada wide east Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto/Quebec City west Winnipeg/Calgary/Edmonton and Vancouver.

jason2020

Sep 24, 2014
Canada is so due to host. With Qutar hosting, it's clear soccer ability has no bearing on ability to host, so Canada is way overdue.

I could see temp stadiums built in Ottawa/Calgary and Quebec City while major upgrades to Bmo and Montreal.

theaub

34-38-61-10-13-15
Nov 21, 2008
Toronto
If the feds fund it there going to want games Canada wide east Montreal/Ottawa/Toronto/Quebec City west Winnipeg/Calgary/Edmonton and Vancouver.

Seems fair to me - you already have

Toronto - BMO Field
Vancouver - BC Place
Edmonton - Commonwealth Stadium

Then you have either an Olympic Stadium refurbish or new stadium in Montreal, and expand out the stadiums in Winnipeg, Calgary, Ottawa, Regina and Hamilton. And there's 9 host cities. Maybe a new stadium in QC or out east.

The big legacy of a 2026 WC that FIFA wants is that it will be that it will be played, to an extent, on artificial surfaces.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad