NESN OT: NESN production issues (audio, video, graphics, programming)

Fenway

HF Bookie and Bruins Historian
Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA

Can't blame the Red Sox for looking into cashing out now as the future of RSN's is unclear. Jacobs could block it but he would have to meet the price but given what YES was just sold for NESN is worth at least $1.5 BILLION.

If ESPN did buy it they could easily move the studios to Channel 5 in Needham that is owned by Hearst ( which owns 20% of ESPN ) - NBC/Comcast could be lurking as well.

ESPN was blocked from buying the FOX RSN's but buying NESN would not be an issue.

Reactions: smithformeragent

s3antana5757

Feb 15, 2014
Can't blame the Red Sox for looking into cashing out now as the future of RSN's is unclear. Jacobs could block it but he would have to meet the price but given what YES was just sold for NESN is worth at least $1.5 BILLION.

If ESPN did buy it they could easily move the studios to Channel 5 in Needham that is owned by Hearst ( which owns 20% of ESPN ) - NBC/Comcast could be lurking as well.

ESPN was blocked from buying the FOX RSN's but buying NESN would not be an issue.

Why would it not be a problem? Wasn’t the issue with Disney?

I thought today’s picture was better. The new bottom line would be much better if it was the same size as the older one.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Why would it not be a problem? Wasn’t the issue with Disney?

I thought today’s picture was better. The new bottom line would be much better if it was the same size as the older one.

DOJ didn't want Disney to buy 22 RSN's - but 1 or 2 would not be an issue. Actually, the DOJ might have issues with Comcast/NBC buying NESN since they already own NBC Sports Boston.

CHRDANHUTCH

Mar 4, 2002
Auburn, Maine
in essence, you need to have competition, much like we see between newspapers back in the day, the dreaded 'competitive balance' so you don't have 1 entity becoming a monopoly

HockeyMomx2

Extra Medium Water, Hold The Pickles
Sponsor
Dec 6, 2008
The Most Beautiful Place In The World
in essence, you need to have competition, much like we see between newspapers back in the day, the dreaded 'competitive balance' so you don't have 1 entity becoming a monopoly
but it seems like that's exactly what Disney is doing, creating a monopoly with all these stations. I hate what they have done to ABC and ESPN since acquiring them and have all but stopped watching either station or even streaming any programs from either. Am I really the outlier and most like it enough to make them think they're doing things the way the consumer wants them?!

IntentionallyWide

The poster formerly known as gobruins14
Sponsor
Aug 9, 2006
First time catching the game on NESN since they've updated the ticker at the bottom. Holy hell, that is annoying and distracting! I've always hated the ticker, but thought the most recent one prior to this one was a little better. This one is horrible.

WHY?

Reactions: Chief Nine

Donnie Shulzhoffer

Rocket Surgery
Sep 9, 2008
Foxboro, MA
First time catching the game on NESN since they've updated the ticker at the bottom. Holy hell, that is annoying and distracting! I've always hated the ticker, but thought the most recent one prior to this one was a little better. This one is horrible.

WHY?
Can someone explain to me why this new ticker has a full inch of blank space at the bottom to make it even bigger taking up our screen?

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
Starting in 2 weeks NESN will be airing a weekly late-night comedy/variety show from Bangor

A preview

Last edited:

talkinaway

Mar 19, 2014
On the couch
Starting in 2 weeks NESN will be airing a weekly late-night comedy/variety show from Bangor

A preview

I'll take Billy Costa to block.

Admittedly, I haven't watched the whole clip, but...do they have a contest at NESN for bad ideas that are (hopefully) cheap? It boggles my mind that a network that has broadcasting rights to two teams that are (some of) the oldest teams in their respective leagues can't get any good sports-oriented programming about said teams on the network. Instead, we get weird stuff like Dining Playbook (I know; it started on NECN), Charlie Moore (I know; for some reason, he executive produces everything on NESN), and Dirty Water TV.

Fenway

Sponsor
Sep 26, 2007
Cambridge, MA
I'll take Billy Costa to block.

Admittedly, I haven't watched the whole clip, but...do they have a contest at NESN for bad ideas that are (hopefully) cheap? It boggles my mind that a network that has broadcasting rights to two teams that are (some of) the oldest teams in their respective leagues can't get any good sports-oriented programming about said teams on the network. Instead, we get weird stuff like Dining Playbook (I know; it started on NECN), Charlie Moore (I know; for some reason, he executive produces everything on NESN), and Dirty Water TV.

I actually think this is a smart move for NESN.

Bangor's 'Nite Show' actually has decent production values for the #155th TV market in the US but more importantly, it is local.

In Boston, there is NOTHING produced locally outside of news and sports.

Here is an example from 30 years ago..............and when that show was cancelled the host rolled the dice and moved to LA

The same era - this show was more popular than any Red Sox, Bruins, Celtics or Patriots game

and my personal favourite

Reactions: CHRDANHUTCH

rfournier103

Black & Gold ‘till I’m Dead & Cold.
Sponsor
Dec 17, 2011
Massachusetts
upload_2019-10-20_10-8-37.jpeg

upload_2019-10-20_10-9-9.jpeg

Has this been discussed yet?

member 96824

A preview

like Bangor Bangor? My people’s Bangor?

Former home of the buy 1 get 2 free spanky’s pizza Bangor?

Reactions: Fenway

Pay Carl

punished “venom” krejci
Jun 23, 2011
Vermont
NESN ticker wasn’t even accurate tonight but was in all game

for example it says the Kings Jets game is 1-0, but it’s tied 2-2 right now

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad