OT: OT Lounge (No politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Oh yeah, dealers are completely hit and miss. I used to love my service guy at my dealership, then he left and the individual they brought in sucked. I left them for a very long time, but my independent garage guys I loved up and sold their business and retired. I had a real emergency issue so I went back to the dealership and they had a new service manager and he's really good. So I'm back there as he's been very honest and straightforward saying what needs to be done now, down the road and as optional. They even had an electrical issue they couldn't figure out and I thought "oh boy, here we go with the hours" and nope. They found the issue but he said they should have recognized it right away so they weren't charging me for their error. What?!

Now if @nobody imp0rtant wants to message me his independent garage information I'd be most receptive. Not because I want to leave my service guy, but he won't be there forever, they never are.
I only would deal with a dealership if the car was on warranty, their shop rates are absolutely ridiculous. I have a small garage that i go to now and his shop rates are half of a dealership and i get better , faster work because the guy wants to keep me happy and coming back. I have a summer sports car and the check light came on, brought it too a dealership and they told me 1,000 bucks to fix the problem. Went to my guy and it was a O2 sensor that when fixed cost me 250 and he changed my oil too.

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
I only would deal with a dealership if the car was on warranty, their shop rates are absolutely ridiculous. I have a small garage that i go to now and his shop rates are half of a dealership and i get better , faster work because the guy wants to keep me happy and coming back. I have a summer sports car and the check light came on, brought it too a dealership and they told me 1,000 bucks to fix the problem. Went to my guy and it was a O2 sensor that when fixed cost me 250 and he changed my oil too.

You'll get no argument from me that small garages are the way to go, so long as you can find one you can trust, because not all are honest or good either (not that anyone here is implying that, I'm just saying). I used to love my small, independent garage guys. Couple of brothers who I feel should have worked into their 70s at least, if only for my benefit.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Certainly you would go to a dealer (or manufacturer authorized facility) if the work is covered under warranty, or a no-charge maintenance agreement that was part of the purchase. However, you can have maintenance work such as oil and fluid changes, brake replacements, etc that you have to pay for done anywhere even if the vehicle is still on warranty. They can't void your warranty just because they didn't get the business. You should keep all your service records in case they want you to prove that the work was done within the recommended intervals.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
Certainly you would go to a dealer (or manufacturer authorized facility) if the work is covered under warranty, or a no-charge maintenance agreement that was part of the purchase. However, you can have maintenance work such as oil and fluid changes, brake replacements, etc that you have to pay for done anywhere even if the vehicle is still on warranty. They can't void your warranty just because they didn't get the business. You should keep all your service records in case they want you to prove that the work was done within the recommended intervals.
I have service records for cars I don't even own anymore. :laugh:

Reactions: Jets 31

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France
Hate to interrupt your tyre talk boys, and I'd hate to interrupt any actual serious hockey talk in the other threads, but I feel like I needed to share my impulse Black Friday purchase with somebody. :laugh:

armia.png

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I like DST
I like long summer evenings
During winter i don't mind the short days , not doing alot outside then anyway. But come Summer i love the long days, sunrise is starting at 4 am and not getting dark until almost 11 pm . :eek: Makes for lots of time to golf . :nod:

Reactions: Eyeseeing

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
During winter i don't mind the short days , not doing alot outside then anyway. But come Summer i love the long days, sunrise is starting at 4 am and not getting dark until almost 11 pm . :eek: Makes for lots of time to golf . :nod:
I just find my body getting tired as the sun goes down. I've read a lot about circadian rythems and their effects on health.

Whenever I'm in the wilderness I find myself instinctively going to sleep when it gets dark and waking up with the sun.

No idea how the short days affect me but I generally feel pretty knackered at this time of year

Reactions: Jets 31 and surixon

GNP

Here Comes the Jets -look out hockey world !!!
Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
I would only deal with a dealership if the car was on warranty, their shop rates are absolutely ridiculous. I have a small garage that i go to now and his shop rates are half of a dealership and i get better , faster work because the guy wants to keep me happy and coming back. I have a summer sports car and the check light came on, brought it too a dealership and they told me 1,000 bucks to fix the problem. Went to my guy and it was a O2 sensor that when fixed cost me 250 and he changed my oil too.

Great post @Jets 31 , and I totally agree with you, that these dealership repair rates are totally ridiculous.

As I believe you live in the St.Boniface or St.Vital area, as I do as well, I was just wondering if you could tell me what small garage you go too ? I also have a check engine light on, and need an honest guy to check it out. Sounds like you have an honest reasonable mechanic, who would also like some extra business.

Can you reply to my post, and leave me an address of the garage you use, and also the name of the mechanic you use. It would be greatly appreciated, or you could also send me a private message. Hope to hear back -- thanks Jets 31 :)

Last edited:

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The check engine light is the biggest scam ever, perpetrated on the car buying public IMO. A long time ago a Toyota dealer charged me $75 just to tell me the light coming on was probably just a transient condition, maybe from not having the gas cap screwed on tightly enough. It was the last business that dealership got from me. I've had an excellent relationship with an independent garage for decades. They won't charge me for a quick check with their reader.

Hey @nobodyimportant - your right about those "check lights" flashing up on your dashboard, but some are very important, and others are faulty sensors.

Example - I have this light that "comes on" when I go over a big bump in the road -- and a light comes on, and says, " traction control" is off, so I have a big orange light on. Then after I shut my car off, and restart it ( without doing anything) the light goes off. This has been going on for 3-4 years, but it does annoy me. I'm not going to pay some garage $ 300-$ 400 to fix this sensor, because it's not that important, and I don't need traction control -- but the point is, these sensors are very quirky, and sometimes not reliable -- but sometimes they are "important."

I do have a "check engine light on" and my car sometimes bucks a bit just before coming to a dead stop -- sort of like it wants to keep going, and it revs up a bit, so there must be something wrong, like an 02 sensor, or who knows, as my car is sort of very hi-tech, and they charge you an arm and a leg to diagnoze the problem. It only happens periodically, and stops doing this when the car warms up ???

I noticed in your post you have a service station that is honest and reliable and was wondering where you go, to your independent garage ( address ?? ) and what the mechanic's name is ?? Be greatly appreciated -- thanks Nobody Important :)

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018

Hey @nobodyimportant - your right about those "check lights" flashing up on your dashboard, but some are very important, and others are faulty sensors.

Example - I have this light that "comes on" when I go over a big bump in the road -- and a light comes on, and says, " traction control" is off, so I have a big orange light on. Then after I shut my car off, and restart it ( without doing anything) the light goes off. This has been going on for 3-4 years, but it does annoy me. I'm not going to pay some garage $ 300-$ 400 to fix this sensor, because it's not that important, and I don't need traction control -- but the point is, these sensors are very quirky, and sometimes not reliable -- but sometimes they are "important."

I do have a "check engine light on" and my car sometimes bucks a bit just before coming to a dead stop -- sort of like it wants to keep going, and it revs up a bit, so there must be something wrong, like an 02 sensor, or who knows, as my car is sort of very hi-tech, and they charge you an arm and a leg to diagnoze the problem. It only happens periodically, and stops doing this when the car warms up ???

I noticed in your post you have a service station that is honest and reliable and was wondering where you go, to your independent garage ( address ?? ) and what the mechanic's name is ?? Be greatly appreciated -- thanks Nobody Important :)

First, let me clarify I'm not dissing all the system warning lights on a vehicle. There are indicators for specific critical systems, such as oil pressure, brake system, etc. If one of those critical indicators goes on, you pay attention to it. Like, pull over and call for a tow type of attention. The check engine light is a catch-all for a lot of things, and car manufacturers could have easily set this up to provide you with a code so you could look it up yourself in your owner's manual. Instead, it requires a special reader which of course you could buy for yourself as well, but most people don't want to get that hands on. So, the expectation is... bring it in to your friendly <insert make here> dealer cause they're the experts on YOUR vehicle and they will be happy to assist. For a ridiculous fee often.

And if you're experiencing less than optimal operation or hearing strange noises that normally aren't there, don't wait for a stupid light to come on. Take it to a garage to have them looked into. I've had that bucking problem you're describing. In all likelihood it will get worse and your vehicle will start stalling on you. Yes, it costs money to keep a vehicle in good working order. Look after your vehicle, it will look after you.

Reactions: GNP and Jets 31

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

The idle is controlled by the idle air control valve and if it cannot keep the engine idling it will keep trying to rev the engine up to compensate. A vacuum leak, sensor that has failed, or an EGR system malfunction could potentially be the cause of the erratic engine you're experiencing.

edit ... Those machines that read codes come on sale at Princess Auto for under 40 bucks.

Reactions: Jets 31 and GNP

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
The idle is controlled by the idle air control valve and if it cannot keep the engine idling it will keep trying to rev the engine up to compensate. A vacuum leak, sensor that has failed, or an EGR system malfunction could potentially be the cause of the erratic engine you're experiencing.

edit ... Those machines that read codes come on sale at Princess Auto for under 40 bucks.

Thanks for the tip 10/10, and I think your "right on" -- sounds like you have a lot of mechanical knowledge. I would think it's something like what you say - idle air control valve, vacuum leak etc ?

I'm hoping to find someone with an "expensive" code reading machine, that will diagnose everything, as sometimes the cheaper ones do not, from what I read.

Probably the $ 40 one or thereabouts would be OK as you say, then you plug it in under your dashboard, on the driver's side, as I understand. I think service stations charge you $ 200 to do this. ( rip off)

I guess I should do something, because like any problem, it will only get worse if you ignore it. This has been going on for about 2 years, and stays the same, but I should have this fixed.

Maybe I'll get lucky :) and a mechanic on here, will do this for me, at a reasonable cost, which I'd be glad to pay.

Bye the way -- I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I looked into those diagnostic instruments, and they run from $ 40 right up to about $ 800 bucs for the most expensive ones. Not quite sure what to think ?

Thanks for the reply 10/10, and your quite likely right -- idle air control valve, sounds very very possible, or EGR malfunction.

Last edited:
Reactions: 10Ducky10

GNP

Oct 11, 2016
Winnipeg
First, let me clarify I'm not dissing all the system warning lights on a vehicle. There are indicators for specific critical systems, such as oil pressure, brake system, etc. If one of those critical indicators goes on, you pay attention to it. Like, pull over and call for a tow type of attention. The check engine light is a catch-all for a lot of things, and car manufacturers could have easily set this up to provide you with a code so you could look it up yourself in your owner's manual. Instead, it requires a special reader which of course you could buy for yourself as well, but most people don't want to get that hands on. So, the expectation is... bring it in to your friendly <insert make here> dealer cause they're the experts on YOUR vehicle and they will be happy to assist. For a ridiculous fee often.

And if you're experiencing less than optimal operation or hearing strange noises that normally aren't there, don't wait for a stupid light to come on. Take it to a garage to have them looked into. I've had that bucking problem you're describing. In all likelihood it will get worse and your vehicle will start stalling on you. Yes, it costs money to keep a vehicle in good working order. Look after your vehicle, it will look after you.

Very good advice Nobody Important, and everyone should do as you say in my opinion, especially on critical warnings -- oil pressure etc, "operating temperature gauge" or strange noises -- get them attended to "right away" I agree.

When a "check engine light" comes on and the car is running fine, it's not that urgent of a matter, but likely a potential future problem.

Great post, and all should follow this advice IMO.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg

Or if your car is making a funny noise do what i do and turn up the stereo so you can't hear it.:laugh: Just kidding. :laugh:

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

Thanks!

Oddly I have had issues with my vehicle starting in the morning and idling very high. I tend to forget about it once I get busy and haven’t dealt with it. I will need to remember that next time I get a check up. Just past my factory warranty this week so shits going to start getting real. Now my vehicle can start punishing me for my tough love approach.

10Ducky10

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Jul 5, 2015

Thanks for the tip 10/10, and I think your "right on" -- sounds like you have a lot of mechanical knowledge. I would think it's something like what you say - idle air control valve, vacuum leak etc ?

I'm hoping to find someone with an "expensive" code reading machine, that will diagnose everything, as sometimes the cheaper ones do not, from what I read.

Probably the $ 40 one or thereabouts would be OK as you say, then you plug it in under your dashboard, on the driver's side, as I understand. I think service stations charge you $ 200 to do this. ( rip off)

I guess I should do something, because like any problem, it will only get worse if you ignore it. This has been going on for about 2 years, and stays the same, but I should have this fixed.

Maybe I'll get lucky :) and a mechanic on here, will do this for me, at a reasonable cost, which I'd be glad to pay.

Bye the way -- I'm not that mechanically inclined, but I looked into those diagnostic instruments, and they run from $ 40 right up to about $ 800 bucs for the most expensive ones. Not quite sure what to think ?

Thanks for the reply 10/10, and your quite likely right -- idle air control valve, sounds very very possible, or EGR malfunction.
I googled it...

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Thanks!

Oddly I have had issues with my vehicle starting in the morning and idling very high. I tend to forget about it once I get busy and haven’t dealt with it. I will need to remember that next time I get a check up. Just past my factory warranty this week so shits going to start getting real. Now my vehicle can start punishing me for my tough love approach.
I baby my vehicles especially the Summer one, it doesn't get driven in the rain:laugh: but still things break and always do. There are also lemons that are Fix Or Repair Daily, FORD for short. :laugh:

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
I baby my vehicles especially the Summer one, it doesn't get driven in the rain:laugh: but still things break and always do. There are also lemons that are Fix Or Repair Daily, FORD for short. :laugh:

I had a nice summer Vehicle that I bought and kind of juggled two for a while. The first summer I loved it......second summer I liked it allot.......by the forth summer I had lost interest. I lent it to a guy who totalled it off and once I found out he was ok and the attention turned to the vehicle I was happy to be done with it.

I am glad I went through that phase because I am now at piece with the fact that cars aren’t my thing.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
I had a nice summer Vehicle that I bought and kind of juggled two for a while. The first summer I loved it......second summer I liked it allot.......by the forth summer I had lost interest. I lent it to a guy who totalled it off and once I found out he was ok and the attention turned to the vehicle I was happy to be done with it.

I am glad I went through that phase because I am now at piece with the fact that cars aren’t my thing.
Yep , sometimes always treating a car like that can get very tiresome. But it's only on the road from May to October so it's not very long.

Reactions: ps241

ps241

Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010
Yep , sometimes always treating a car like that can get very tiresome. But it's only on the road from May to October so it's not very long.

a good friend of mine always has about 6 or 7 vehicles in rotation. He is always buying and selling and loves it. A few of the guys I work with love having a high end sports car too. Glad I took my shot and had my fun.

Jets 31

Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
a good friend of mine always has about 6 or 7 vehicles in rotation. He is always buying and selling and loves it. A few of the guys I work with love having a high end sports car too. Glad I took my shot and had my fun.
Ya one thing that is annoying is the young punks driving up beside you reving their 4 cylinder motors with a tailpipe that sounds like a fart trying to get you to race. :laugh: When you grow up and get 8 cylinders give me a call. :naughty: :laugh:

Reactions: nobody imp0rtant

flyingkiwi

Oct 28, 2014
France

Didn't know you were mates with my Dad. He loves flipping cars.

Though I wouldn't call his vehicles high end. :laugh:

Reactions: ps241
Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad