OT: OT Lounge (No politics)

Status
Not open for further replies.

Jets 31

This Dude loves the Jets and GIF's
Sponsor
Mar 3, 2015
Winnipeg
Vaccine won't make much difference if half the population chooses not to get it because they've been frightened off by some anti-vax bull shit they read on the Internet. My doctor was telling me the other day that a lot of his patients have already decided to just say no. We could still be in a code red lockdown a year from now.

As for these non-essential product restrictions, it's not going to make a damn bit of difference in the numbers heading out shopping and it's just going to piss people off. Well, the more you make things unavailable for in-person shopping, the more people are going to look for online alternatives. And once they get a taste for how convenient that is, a lot will stick with that even after things open up again. So, if all the "it's not fair" whingers want to have their little cackle of glee at getting their way, go ahead. We'll be having the last laugh when we walk past your locked-up storefronts with the Permanently Closed sign hanging in the window.
I can't believe anyone wouldn't want to get the vaccine, you really have to wonder about some people. They obviously only care about themselves, that's it, that's all .

Buffdog

Feb 13, 2019
Vaccine won't prevent infection, therefore won't create herd immunity no matter how many people take it or not. That is why we're being told to get used to masks and social distancing even after it's released.

The endpoint in trials is to reduce symptoms.

The idea is that the people most at risk from serious outcomes get vaccinated, and that reduces their risk of serious events like hospitalizations and death.

Covid-19 Vaccine Protocols Reveal That Trials Are Designed To Succeed

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
Seeing Van Fleet is signing for the Raptors. Anyone know if they're expected to do anything significant in trade or fa market?

Gil Fisher

Mar 18, 2012
Winnipeg
COVID-19 vaccine developed by Pfizer Inc...

But the vaccine’s complex and super-cold storage requirements are an obstacle for even the most sophisticated hospitals in the United States and may impact when and where it is available in rural areas or poor countries where resources are tight.

The main issue is that the vaccine, which is based on a novel technology that uses synthetic mRNA to activate the immune system against the virus, needs to be kept at minus 70 degrees Celsius (-94 F) or below. “This will be a challenge in all settings because hospitals even in big cities do not have storage facilities for a vaccine at that ultra-low temperature.”

Having a vaccine that is 90% effective is good news... but what's not good is the shipping and storage requirements. This temp. requirement is 50 degrees colder than any other vaccine that man has ever created. Super effective vaccine that might be next to impossible to deliver.... Oh, well...

I kmow at least one pharmacy in town that has those deep freezers. There are probably others. The vaccine has a 30 day life at 2-8° C as well.

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
Yes this would solve alot of issues but then these people will scream about communism and their freedoms . Steinbach at 40% positivity rate right now. :eek: Wouldn't have anything to do with that no mask rally they had, no, no way. :badidea:

At some point, even Darwin's ghost is gonna get sick and tired of braining these idiots.

Reactions: Jets 31

AlphaLackey

Mar 21, 2013
Winnipeg, MB
To paraphrase the immortal words of Bobby Heenan, "I'm going to have to apologize to the humanoids out there, I don't think I can be objective on this topic" :P

SUX2BU

User of registers
Feb 6, 2018
Canada
Oh oh, more COVID talk ....

UMc0.gif

blues10

Dec 10, 2010
Canada
3 weeks in with my new winter tires, rims and sensors and all is great. Local garage set it all up for me for $150 after I purchased everything at 3 different CDN Tire stores. The local garage had some trouble programming the after market sensors but all is well. I have the Blizzak DMV2 and they are pretty good so far. I’m impressed.

My tire pressure is 30 or 31 psi when the temp drops but on a warm day like today get up to 32 psi. The recommended pressure is 33psi. I assume all is good or should I add some air? If I do a lot of driving in a day I can get them up to 33psi.

Reactions: Gm0ney

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
3 weeks in with my new winter tires, rims and sensors and all is great. Local garage set it all up for me for $150 after I purchased everything at 3 different CDN Tire stores. The local garage had some trouble programming the after market sensors but all is well. I have the Blizzak DMV2 and they are pretty good so far. I’m impressed.

My tire pressure is 30 or 31 psi when the temp drops but on a warm day like today get up to 32 psi. The recommended pressure is 33psi. I assume all is good or should I add some air? If I do a lot of driving in a day I can get them up to 33psi.
I wouldn't worry too much about a pound or two. I've found the cold really messes with the readings, not surprisingly. Gotta get some driving on them before you get an accurate read, probably 20-30 minutes. I base that off my normal commute time in the morning and past experience with the readings. YMMV so to speak. My tires are the same for recommended pressure and if they drop below 30 I'll put some air in, but only once they are "warm".

Reading them cold will give you a low reading and you might end up with over-inflation if you jump right away to add pressure. You can get wear issues with overinflated tires as well, as I'm sure you know.

I went with Pirelli's on this car, so far quite nice but let's wait until we get a big snowfall.

Reactions: blues10

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
I wouldn't worry too much about a pound or two. I've found the cold really messes with the readings, not surprisingly. Gotta get some driving on them before you get an accurate read, probably 20-30 minutes. I base that off my normal commute time in the morning and past experience with the readings. YMMV so to speak. My tires are the same for recommended pressure and if they drop below 30 I'll put some air in, but only once they are "warm".

Reading them cold will give you a low reading and you might end up with over-inflation if you jump right away to add pressure. You can get wear issues with overinflated tires as well, as I'm sure you know.

I went with Pirelli's on this car, so far quite nice but let's wait until we get a big snowfall.

You're doing it backward. Recommended tire pressures are always given for "cold" tires ie before you have driven on them and caused the pressure to rise a bit.

As for the big test of your new tires, it won't be the snowfall. It will be how they grip at intersections where morons spin their crappy summer tires and polish the surface to a near frictionless glaze.

Reactions: blues10

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat
You're doing it backward. Recommended tire pressures are always given for "cold" tires ie before you have driven on them and caused the pressure to rise a bit.

As for the big test of your new tires, it won't be the snowfall. It will be how they grip at intersections where morons spin their crappy summer tires and polish the surface to a near frictionless glaze.
Really? I'm not sure they consider Winnipeg winters as what represents a "cold" tire though. Cold in California (where 90% of the population lives) is 10 C. In summer, yeah, the pressure at that point is the recommended. My sensors won't even register unless I've been driving for a bit. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I'm confused. Quite content to be proven wrong and edumacated.

As to the glazed intersection aspect it's why I opted for a tire that's more designed for ice. I'm not delusional about what my car can do in deep snow, it doesn't have all that much clearance in the first place. But to me those days are dubious at best. I'll take the added traction for getting go in the deep stuff.

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Really? I'm not sure they consider Winnipeg winters as what represents a "cold" tire though. Cold in California (where 90% of the population lives) is 10 C. In summer, yeah, the pressure at that point is the recommended. My sensors won't even register unless I've been driving for a bit. I'm not saying you're wrong, I'm saying I'm confused. Quite content to be proven wrong and edumacated.

As to the glazed intersection aspect it's why I opted for a tire that's more designed for ice. I'm not delusional about what my car can do in deep snow, it doesn't have all that much clearance in the first place. But to me those days are dubious at best. I'll take the added traction for getting go in the deep stuff.

I put cold in quotes to signify that you should measure and adjust the pressure when the tires haven't been driven on for a while. Just go to any tire web site and they will tell you this. Ambient temperature affects the pressure for sure, and you adjust accordingly as per the season. But day to day fluctuations just aren't a big deal IMO. I've read that it takes a 10 degree change in ambient temperature to affect the tire pressure by 1 psi. That amount of change just isn't important. I think people fret way too much about maintaining the exact recommended tire pressure. I wouldn't use my TPMS to monitor that. I use it to alert me to a possible leak that is causing a significant pressure drop.

ps241

The Ballad of Ville Bobby
Sponsor
Mar 10, 2010

I put cold in quotes to signify that you should measure and adjust the pressure when the tires haven't been driven on for a while. Just go to any tire web site and they will tell you this. Ambient temperature affects the pressure for sure, and you adjust accordingly as per the season. But day to day fluctuations just aren't a big deal IMO. I've read that it takes a 10 degree change in ambient temperature to affect the tire pressure by 1 psi. That amount of change just isn't important. I think people fret way too much about maintaining the exact recommended tire pressure. I wouldn't use my TPMS to monitor that. I use it to alert me to a possible leak that is causing a significant pressure drop.

Ok you guys have motivated me. I think I am going to try checking my tire pressure at some point this winter? I know it pisses Joey off at McNaught when I roll in with 10% life left on my oil. I don’t trust the vehicle to tell me the truth, she’s a bit soft and whinny with her fancy sensors and I know “the man” sets the service engine light up as a revenue centre to bend me over :dunce:. I take the tough love approach with my vehicles since I don’t like or trust them. It’s one of the few adversarial relationships I embrace in my life.

spare the rod spoil the child.

:sarcasm:

Last edited:

nobody imp0rtant

Registered pessimist
May 23, 2018
Ok you guys have motivated me. I think I am going to try checking my tire pressure at some point this winter? I know it pisses Joey off at McNaught when I roll in with 10% life left on my oil. I don’t trust the vehicle to tell me the truth, she’s a bit soft and whinny with her fancy sensors and I know “the man” sets the service engine light up as a revenue centre to bend me over :dunce:. I take the tough love approach with my vehicles since I don’t like or trust them. It’s one of the few adversarial relationships I embrace in my life.

spare the rod spoil the child.

:sarcasm:

The check engine light is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the car buying public IMO. A long time ago a Toyota dealer charged me $75 just to tell me the light coming on was probably just a transient condition, maybe from not having the gas cap screwed on tightly enough. It was the last business that dealership got from me. I've had an excellent relationship with an independent garage for decades. They won't charge me for a quick check with their reader.

Eyeseeing

Fagheddaboudit
Sponsor
Feb 24, 2015
The check engine light is the biggest scam ever perpetrated on the car buying public IMO. A long time ago a Toyota dealer charged me $75 just to tell me the light coming on was probably just a transient condition, maybe from not having the gas cap screwed on tightly enough. It was the last business that dealership got from me. I've had an excellent relationship with an independent garage for decades. They won't charge me for a quick check with their reader.

Depends on the dealer too.
I had a certain make of car that was so bad with electrical bugs they bought it back from me after 4 years at very fair value.
I know they had hoped I’d get into another one but not after that nightmare.

Reactions: Jets 31

buggs

screenshot
Sponsor
Jun 25, 2012
somewhere flat

Oh yeah, dealers are completely hit and miss. I used to love my service guy at my dealership, then he left and the individual they brought in sucked. I left them for a very long time, but my independent garage guys I loved up and sold their business and retired. I had a real emergency issue so I went back to the dealership and they had a new service manager and he's really good. So I'm back there as he's been very honest and straightforward saying what needs to be done now, down the road and as optional. They even had an electrical issue they couldn't figure out and I thought "oh boy, here we go with the hours" and nope. They found the issue but he said they should have recognized it right away so they weren't charging me for their error. What?!

Now if @nobody imp0rtant wants to message me his independent garage information I'd be most receptive. Not because I want to leave my service guy, but he won't be there forever, they never are.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad