OT: General OT Thread #36: Because #35 was too Demanding

Status
Not open for further replies.

FinPanda

Team Finland 2022 WHC champions
Mar 13, 2014
Vaasa, Finland
"Linnan juhlat". So people go to President's castle and shake hand with him and his wife. It's tradition in every independence day. War veterans, members of parliament, old Presidents, athletes etc.

This year for example Saku Koivu and Teemu Selänne are there with their wives.

Tuomas Gerdt is 92 years old and STILL don't need any kind of help. What a man. He is last our Mannerheim cross knight.

Last edited:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Saying this as a woman: Saku's wife = pure class, has a great sense of style

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
I think his name was Hynönen, but yeah, his interview was the best. :laugh:

Gaps

Oct 3, 2012
Yeah fixed. :)

Great party so far.

Better party than usually IMO. Hannes got to dance eventually too ;)

Special mention to those morons destroying both public and other people's property in downtown Helsinki tonight :shakehead:rant:

TZM

Par too easy
Mar 25, 2012
Kerava
If I was the president of the internet, I would make the word "dat" an offense punishable by death [of your computer] :laugh:

I use it all the time. I think dat cool. Maybe because it's more appealing to me to leave the silent (h) letter out.

Last edited:

Engebretson

Thank you, sweet rabbit
Nov 4, 2010
Minnesota
So, my wife surprised me with my birthday present a few days early...

... tickets to the autograph signing today with Parise and Kuemper at Ridgedale Center. Parise is pretty much my all-time favorite player, and my wife has heard me fanboy about him long enough to know this was the perfect present. Got my picture taken with Zach and also got my green Wild jersey signed by him on the #11 in the back. Just need to find a way to frame the jersey and I'll be set.

Anyone have any suggestions for jersey framing? I'd like to do it myself but I also wouldn't mind paying someone to do it so it looks nice and neat.

Edit: probably could've put this in the Jersey thread, but I guess it could go in either this one or that one

plock

Sonic Reducer
Oct 5, 2013
Mill City
So, my wife surprised me with my birthday present a few days early...

... tickets to the autograph signing today with Parise and Kuemper at Ridgedale Center. Parise is pretty much my all-time favorite player, and my wife has heard me fanboy about him long enough to know this was the perfect present. Got my picture taken with Zach and also got my green Wild jersey signed by him on the #11 in the back. Just need to find a way to frame the jersey and I'll be set.

Anyone have any suggestions for jersey framing? I'd like to do it myself but I also wouldn't mind paying someone to do it so it looks nice and neat.

Edit: probably could've put this in the Jersey thread, but I guess it could go in either this one or that one

It's about $200 minimum to have it done at a frame shop.They will basically build a shadow box and cut some mattes building a shadow box is pretty easy with basic tools cutting mattes without specialized matte cutting tools is more difficult.

Displaying a jersey in this manner is not the best way to preserve it.Because it's always out and exposed to light colours and signatures will fade over time (a lot quicker than most people think),definately keep it out of direct sunlight.Most people think the shadowbox protects the jersey but in fact it can do the opposite,dust build up inside the shadowbox can settle on and into the fabric speeding up decay or causing disclolouration,make sure you can open the shadowbox so you can lightly vacuum the jersey as well as the in side of the box.
Here is some more info on the subject.You could probably even call them up and get a recomendation for a good frameshop.

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
So... I'm thinking about moving to the California Bay area for a job offer... Sharks tickets are $20 O.O haha.

Anyone have experience living in the bay? Pros and cons??

Vashanesh

Nope.
Jan 29, 2010
Minnesota
So... I'm thinking about moving to the California Bay area for a job offer... Sharks tickets are $20 O.O haha.

Traffic is awful, getting around is awful, the public transit system is decent, but doesn't redeem the previous two, cost of living is absolutely insane (compared to the Twin Cities, anyway).

That's as much as I know.

Unless you know where you're going to live, and can plan out your expenses accordingly, I would be a bit hesitant. It's one of the most expensive areas to live in the entire country.

llamapalooza

Hockey State Expat
Aug 11, 2010
Montréal

Yeah, I moved out here for work back in the Spring. And you're right about the Sharks--I get to see the Wild for $16 on Thursday, so that's definitely nice. :laugh:
The Bay Area is a really strange place and I still don't really feel like I've wrapped my head around the pros and cons. This was my first big move and I definitely underestimated just how much of an upheaval it would be and how much culture shock and general feeling-out-of-place there would be. But off the top of my head:

Pros:
- It's ****ing gorgeous. This is some of the most beautiful geography in the US--and nowhere else that rivals it is even close to this urbanized. I'm a 15 minute drive from gorgeous (albeit rugged) Pacific beaches. I'm an hour from Santa Cruz where the beaches are warm enough to swim. I'm three hours from Yosemite, the most-visited National Park in the world. And there are a ton more.
- The working culture here is leaps and bounds better. People are so much more casual in the office, so much more flexible (hours, errands, etc.), the perks are a lot better, and there are a lot more opportunities to work on cool stuff. This is probably more true in my field (tech) than others, but I definitely noticed a big difference between MN tech and CA tech in that regard, and I wouldn't be surprised if it extended at least a little bit to your potential job too.
- Mexican food! And Italian food! And Asian food!
- There's just generally more stuff going on. More events, both big and small. There's culture on every corner, and it's often pretty ambitious.
- San Francisco is one of the most fascinating, culturally vibrant cities in the world.
- There's still hockey! It ain't Minnesota, and it's not like a ubiquitous part of the culture, but there are still several leagues and I've had plenty of opportunities to keep playing out here.
- Best state flag in the USA.

Mixed:
- The people are beautiful. (Mixed because I don't know how you feel about competition...:laugh:)
- The public transit here ranges wildly--some of it is clunky or confusing or difficult to navigate and transfer, or terribly slow, and rail coverage is quite spotty. But some of it is really quite effective, and transit of some form or another extends to a lot of places.
- The weather. Everyone else seems to gush about it, so maybe I'm just weird in this respect, but I really miss the seasons in MN. Of course it's really pleasant and I enjoy it a lot of the time, but it's so consistent throughout the year that I don't really feel like time is passing anymore. It's kind of disorienting. It just doesn't seem at all like December right now.

Cons:
- Quality of life in general is a bit lower. There's more crime, more income inequality, public infrastructure is outdated and poorly-designed, and honestly a lot of things feel pretty run down.
- No Grain Belt.
- I'm not sure how much of this to attribute to just moving in general and how much to the Bay Area, but it seems weirdly difficult to meet people around here. People seem to be kind of set in their social niches, and a lot of the people who open up to you will probably also be recent transplants.
- Rent. Holy **** rent. It's ludicrously expensive, and that's everywhere--not just in the City. And if you do want to live in the City, not only will you pay out the ass, but it's ridiculously competitive trying to convince a landlord to pick you.
- Traffic is ****ing brutal. Only LA is worse. Roads seem like they're designed to cause traffic jams. Other drivers are absolute morons. Half an inch of rain has the same effect as a blizzard in MN. And it's completely unpredictable--you'll get random pockets of rush hour traffic on weekends, or at like 7:30 at night, but then other days will be completely fine.
- When I was touring places to live I ended up feeling like San Francisco was the only liveable place. The entire South Bay is just a mass of lifeless sprawl--just dense enough to be claustrophobic and ugly and congested and inconvenient, but not dense enough or well-planned enough to carry any of the benefits of urbanism. Oakland's issues are well-documented. The East Bay has some more bearable suburbs, but it's also really isolated, and has the worst traffic in the area by far. And then the North Bay is beautiful and liveable, but totally isolated.
- Time zones mean it's hard to keep up with sports. Even if you have GameCenter (which is awesome as an out-of-market fan) it's still tough to catch a 7PM EST puck drop, particularly if you don't leave work till 6 and it takes you an hour to get home.

That's the stuff that comes to mind ATM. Anything in particular that you're wondering about?

Edit: Also if you do it I'll buy you a beer :)

JudgeJimmie

Oct 5, 2013
Rochester, MN
Haha awesome!! Thanks for the thorough reply! I've actually lived out there on an internship two summers ago, but I was down in San Jose and didn't really do the Bay justice. I definitely felt the social niches and a lot of time I felt like I didn't fit in. Must be that midwest mentality! I'd definitely take you up on that beer.

Yeah, I moved out here for work back in the Spring. And you're right about the Sharks--I get to see the Wild for $16 on Thursday, so that's definitely nice. :laugh:
The Bay Area is a really strange place and I still don't really feel like I've wrapped my head around the pros and cons. This was my first big move and I definitely underestimated just how much of an upheaval it would be and how much culture shock and general feeling-out-of-place there would be. But off the top of my head:

Pros:
- It's ****ing gorgeous. This is some of the most beautiful geography in the US--and nowhere else that rivals it is even close to this urbanized. I'm a 15 minute drive from gorgeous (albeit rugged) Pacific beaches. I'm an hour from Santa Cruz where the beaches are warm enough to swim. I'm three hours from Yosemite, the most-visited National Park in the world. And there are a ton more.

Yes yes yes.. I have a motorcycle and tooling around the Santa Cruz mountains is easily the best riding I've ever experienced. Gorgeous, amazing twisties.. Only problem is the number of people...

- The working culture here is leaps and bounds better. People are so much more casual in the office, so much more flexible (hours, errands, etc.), the perks are a lot better, and there are a lot more opportunities to work on cool stuff. This is probably more true in my field (tech) than others, but I definitely noticed a big difference between MN tech and CA tech in that regard, and I wouldn't be surprised if it extended at least a little bit to your potential job too.

Definitely would.. Although it's pretty lax where I am now.. The company I would be moving for is probably one of the bigger tech firms where work/life balance has had some negative impacts though.. Sounds like they are starting to get better though..

- Mexican food! And Italian food! And Asian food!

Man that burrito I had in SFO was one of the best I've had. Little dive joint, with amazing mexican.. Yes yes yes.. Hard to find a good cheap burger though..

- There's just generally more stuff going on. More events, both big and small. There's culture on every corner, and it's often pretty ambitious.
- San Francisco is one of the most fascinating, culturally vibrant cities in the world.
- There's still hockey! It ain't Minnesota, and it's not like a ubiquitous part of the culture, but there are still several leagues and I've had plenty of opportunities to keep playing out here.
- Best state flag in the USA.

Hopefully you know some teams that need a goalie!!

Mixed:
- The people are beautiful. (Mixed because I don't know how you feel about competition...:laugh:)

- The public transit here ranges wildly--some of it is clunky or confusing or difficult to navigate and transfer, or terribly slow, and rail coverage is quite spotty. But some of it is really quite effective, and transit of some form or another extends to a lot of places.

I think I'd do alright.. Just so long as the public transit is good enough to get me home from the bars haha..

- The weather. Everyone else seems to gush about it, so maybe I'm just weird in this respect, but I really miss the seasons in MN. Of course it's really pleasant and I enjoy it a lot of the time, but it's so consistent throughout the year that I don't really feel like time is passing anymore. It's kind of disorienting. It just doesn't seem at all like December right now.

I think this is pretty common for transplanted Minnesotans... Let me tell you though, a couple of weeks ago I wanted to get out of the cold at all costs!

Cons:
- Quality of life in general is a bit lower. There's more crime, more income inequality, public infrastructure is outdated and poorly-designed, and honestly a lot of things feel pretty run down.
- No Grain Belt.
- I'm not sure how much of this to attribute to just moving in general and how much to the Bay Area, but it seems weirdly difficult to meet people around here. People seem to be kind of set in their social niches, and a lot of the people who open up to you will probably also be recent transplants.
- Rent. Holy **** rent. It's ludicrously expensive, and that's everywhere--not just in the City. And if you do want to live in the City, not only will you pay out the ass, but it's ridiculously competitive trying to convince a landlord to pick you.
- Traffic is ****ing brutal. Only LA is worse. Roads seem like they're designed to cause traffic jams. Other drivers are absolute morons. Half an inch of rain has the same effect as a blizzard in MN. And it's completely unpredictable--you'll get random pockets of rush hour traffic on weekends, or at like 7:30 at night, but then other days will be completely fine.
- When I was touring places to live I ended up feeling like San Francisco was the only liveable place. The entire South Bay is just a mass of lifeless sprawl--just dense enough to be claustrophobic and ugly and congested and inconvenient, but not dense enough or well-planned enough to carry any of the benefits of urbanism. Oakland's issues are well-documented. The East Bay has some more bearable suburbs, but it's also really isolated, and has the worst traffic in the area by far. And then the North Bay is beautiful and liveable, but totally isolated.
- Time zones mean it's hard to keep up with sports. Even if you have GameCenter (which is awesome as an out-of-market fan) it's still tough to catch a 7PM EST puck drop, particularly if you don't leave work till 6 and it takes you an hour to get home.

That's the stuff that comes to mind ATM. Anything in particular that you're wondering about?

Edit: Also if you do it I'll buy you a beer :)

I definitely agree with almost all of those cons.. /sigh haha. I was actually thinking about trying out living in Gilroy or maybe up towards Tracy or something.. Thinking that those towns would give more of a midwest feel / better rent prices? I have a dog, and I think it would be almost impossible for me to find a decent place in San Francisco with him.. Gilroy has the advantage of the CalTrain to SF if I feel like the city!

Now that you've lived out there a bit, if you could move out there again would you??

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad