Speculation: OT: Do you think the Tampa Bay Lightning can or will be the next NHL dynasty? (Edit: hahaha, nope)

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
There isn't a single team in the NHL someone would feel comfortable putting money on beating the Lightning this year. Not only do they have the best player in the world, AND Stamkos, AND Point, but they have awesome defense and goaltending too.

If/when they win the Cup this year, people are going to be putting this team up there with the 08 Wings, 10 Hawks, 13 Hawks, and 07 Ducks as best Cup winners post-lockout.

DetailedRawAurochs-size_restricted.gif

Malagahawks

We tanked hard and got Bedard!! Happy Days!!
Oct 23, 2018
Malaga, Spain
I gotta eat crow soon. I thought they were for sure the next best generational thing. Man how quickly things change. They are not eliminated yet but on the brink, hanging on by a hair.

Pez68

Mar 18, 2010
Chicago, IL
Honesty, their biggest issue has been health.

An upcoming issue is that the top of their division is going to turn into a war as Toronto and Boston continue to improve. You're basically going to have 3 of the top 5 teams in the league for the next several years playing in the 1st few rounds every year.

They're set up very well. If there's one team in the league I'd say had the best chance to rattle off multiple cups over the next 3-5 years, it's the Lightning.

What? Cooper is an excellent coach and a huge part of why that team has been so consistently great despite significant injuries to key pieces for long stretches.

:laugh:

Reactions: BK and RayP

TheDachKnight

Formerly known as TPOEJ6489
Aug 16, 2014
Would love to see Tampa Bay pull off the reverse sweep. I just don’t really care for Columbus. Yes, an underdog story is nice, but them winning makes it more likely they keep Dzingel, who I want on the Hawks.

LDF

Sep 28, 2016
even thou this is not the site to mention this, i know it is suppose to be all TPA.

quietly in Tx Dallas is assembling a very impressive selection of prospects ....... the one i wish the Bhawks has gotten is Miro Heiskanen - LHD - rookie.

there drafted forwards look deadly.

saluki

Nov 18, 2017
The playoffs are just a different animal.

The 13 Hawks almost lost to Detroit. They were down 3-1, weren't they?

Reactions: ColdSteel2

Blue Liner

Dec 12, 2009
Chicago
Seeing a lot of the "regular season is harder and counts more" crowd coming out on Twitter, in particular within the analytics community. "Three game losing streak means nothing during the regular season". Well, yeah, that's part of the point of the playoffs; which teams truly show up and who fizzles? And that would carry more water if Tampa was playing great and just having shitty luck. I get that argument a little bit, but they're not.

This argument is kind of a non-starter for me until all teams play the same exact same, balanced schedule. You're not the best team in the league if you completely fold the tent and get swept in the first round of a best of seven. You're just not. I'm sorry.

BK

"Goalie Apologist"
Feb 8, 2011
Minneapolis, MN
Seeing a lot of the "regular season is harder and counts more" crowd coming out on Twitter, in particular within the analytics community. "Three game losing streak means nothing during the regular season". Well, yeah, that's part of the point of the playoffs; which teams truly show up and who fizzles? And that would carry more water if Tampa was playing great and just having ****ty luck. I get that argument a little bit, but they're not.

This argument is kind of a non-starter for me until all teams play the same exact same, balanced schedule. You're not the best team in the league if you completely fold the tent and get swept in the first round of a best of seven. You're just not. I'm sorry.

They are not doing themselves any favors and unfortunately this is typically their stance.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
TB has just been another case of a finesse, high possession team that looks unbeatable during the regular season but can't change their style to survive the physicality and intensity of the NHL playoffs. It will take a small miracle to find that grit at this point, down 3 - 0 and their best Dman out. Not impossible though.

As for Cooper: what do you expect him to say? It's over?

Reactions: Marotte Marauder

x Tame Impala

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Aug 24, 2011
Seeing a lot of the "regular season is harder and counts more" crowd coming out on Twitter, in particular within the analytics community. "Three game losing streak means nothing during the regular season". Well, yeah, that's part of the point of the playoffs; which teams truly show up and who fizzles? And that would carry more water if Tampa was playing great and just having ****ty luck. I get that argument a little bit, but they're not.

I’m seeing a lot of that stuff too and it’s a mentality I’m getting more and more sick of. I see the “sample size” argument you mentioned, I’m seeing people saying there are simply just a lot of very good teams in the playoffs so it shouldn’t be a surprise that Tampa is losing, and I’m seeing people say that the playoffs are MOSTLY luck-based so being a dominant team doesn’t mean as much since the post season is essentially a crap shoot anyway.

Nonsense. Maybe it’s because so few different teams have won Cups the last 10 or so years but it’s a loser/mediocre mentality that doesn’t resonate with me at all. Yes, there is a lot of luck that goes into winning a Cup and there are a lot of good teams playing each other, but overcoming those things is what it means to be a champion. That’s the whole point of sports! Fans want to see the best athletes/teams square off and see who the best of the best is.

It’s a major disappointment that Tampa is losing. I said it in the other thread but watching all of these games, it looks like Tampa is the #8 seed who squeaked into the playoffs going up against the #1 seed who dominated all year. They are not prepared for playoff hockey and they are not doing what it takes to win a cup. Simple as that. Anything else is just a lame excuse for such a poor showing of play

Reactions: Blue Liner

ChiHawk21

Jan 15, 2011
do you think brisbois will panic and trade off say Brayden Point and Mcdonough if they get swept? ;)

Hawkaholic

Dec 19, 2006
London, Ont.
TB has just been another case of a finesse, high possession team that looks unbeatable during the regular season but can't change their style to survive the physicality and intensity of the NHL playoffs. It will take a small miracle to find that grit at this point, down 3 - 0 and their best Dman out. Not impossible though.

As for Cooper: what do you expect him to say? It's over?
To that point..

Section88

Kaner? I hardly know her
Jul 11, 2017
Their captain is a joke come playoff time. According to lightning fans cooper is just complete dog shit. Their stars just completely disappeared. Their best player last night imo was alex f***ing killorn. Everyone on the team just looks like theyre defeated.

Makes me grateful how the hawks had a core of players that actually played well in the playoffs. Imagine if we got swept by minny in 2013 lmao.

BobbyJet

watch the game, everything else is noise
Oct 27, 2010
Dundas, Ontario. Can
Arguably the second best regular season team of all time is at risk of being swept in the first round by the literal least accomplished team currently in the NHL.

That is a bonkers level potential chokejob that I don't think we've ever seen. At least not in a best of seven format.

You forget one thing though. CBJ went for it at the TD and are a much improved team as a result.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad