OT: Best Place to eat Philly Steaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

orangecrush8

May 21, 2011
Hamilton, Ontario
Through all these positive reviews, I'm gonna check out John's Roast Pork on Thursday.

From what I've had before (Steve's, Jim's, Pat's, Geno's and Tony Luke's), Jim's is my favourite.

ihatebraydenschenn

Chink's is awesome. Another thing with all these places is it depends who's working the grill.

Are you really complaining that the meat is not chopped tho? I bet the pieces of meat Steve's are using is better quality then any of the chopped up stuff at your normal neighborhood joint. Chink's is chopped tho. Steak and hoagie factory is OK but not on par with Chink's or Steve's IMO

Working the grille? There's not much to a cheesesteak. You grill the meat, throw cheese on top and plop it on a roll. The quality of the roll is a huge factor in a good cheesesteak, though.

And yes, I'm complaining about huge chunks of meat. Cheesesteaks are supposed to have chopped steak, not giant slabs like Tony Luke's style. It's not that Tony Luke's is bad, it's just not as good as other cheesesteaks and it's incredibly overpriced.

My problem with Chinks was the filthy grille. My cheesesteak was covered in nasty grease. Combine that with the fact that I waited FOR ****ING EVER for my cheesesteak and couldn't even sit to eat = crappy experience.

The only great thing about Chinks was the super hot girl that worked there.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Working the grille? There's not much to a cheesesteak. You grill the meat, throw cheese on top and plop it on a roll. The quality of the roll is a huge factor in a good cheesesteak, though.

And yes, I'm complaining about huge chunks of meat. Cheesesteaks are supposed to have chopped steak, not giant slabs like Tony Luke's style. It's not that Tony Luke's is bad, it's just not as good as other cheesesteaks and it's incredibly overpriced.

My problem with Chinks was the filthy grille. My cheesesteak was covered in nasty grease. Combine that with the fact that I waited FOR ****ING EVER for my cheesesteak and couldn't even sit to eat = crappy experience.

The only great thing about Chinks was the super hot girl that worked there.

Yes working the grille. The only time I had a bad steak at Chinks was when a new person was on the grille. Of course the rolls are very important but all the places I'm talking about have nice rolls.

Honestly you sound foolish. Nowhere does it say cheesesteaks need to be chopped meat especially if they're still awesome.

There was grease on your cheesesteak... You don't say? :laugh:

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
BTW if you really think Chinks is bad it shows how far off your opinion on cheesesteaks is. You must have got one of the once a year not so great steaks... It has to be that it's the only explanation!

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Yes working the grille. The only time I had a bad steak at Chinks was when a new person was on the grille. Of course the rolls are very important but all the places I'm talking about have nice rolls.

Honestly you sound foolish. Nowhere does it say cheesesteaks need to be chopped meat especially if they're still awesome.

There was grease on your cheesesteak... You don't say? :laugh:

Getting bad bread in Philly is a pretty rare feat.

Jtown

Oct 6, 2010
Fairfax, Virginia
Johns roast pork makes some incredible sandwiches.

I was partial to a little jewish deli in KOP called Michael's Deli. It was a great deli but they expanded and it was never the same. I use to go there at least 25 times a year but haven't been in about 4 years.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I firmly believe you have no idea what you are talking about. Geno's and Pat's are not quality in the least sense of the word.

If you want a good cheesesteak (with american) or roast pork (with sharp provolone), go to John's Roast Pork on Snyder Ave in South Philly. They are only open during the week until about 3pm, but they have some of the best sandwiches in the city.

I grew up in S. Philly. I have been to John's a million times. the roast pork is awesome but the cheese steaks are just good.

I eaten at Pat's, Geno's, Shank's, Jim's, John's, the original DiNics, D'Allesandro's, Steve's, Tlk of the Town, Chink's, my good friend growing up was Nicky Lucidonia (Tony Luke's brother). I also worked at butcher.

I know Geno's and Pat's steaks are the best meat. Go to John's ask him not to chop up the meat and try to eat it. Shoe leather!

Geno'& Pat's - best steaks
Di Nic's & Shank's - best roast pork
Tony Luke's - best chicken Italian

cheesesteakarmor

Jul 18, 2009
FWIW, best cheesesteak I ever had was from Karina's Grocery in Trenton, NJ.

2 bucks, stuffed full of meat and cheese. Easily a foot long or bigger. Made by a Jamaican guy in the back on their grill. If ya'll are ever up that way, I recommend it highly.

I no longer live in the area and was pretty young when I did, but I remember a place outside of the city (I know, everyone has a local place like this), Phil & Jim's, that had the best sandwiches I have ever had, to this day; both, hoagie and cheesesteak.

My parents now live in south Jersey and I occasionally swing by. In this little town called Elmer (notable for being the town where Bruce Willis grew up), is a shack called the Roman Pantry that has amazing (and amazingly huge) steaks and hoagies.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
Not a cheesesteak question really, but is the White House still in AC? And do they still make awesome hoagies?

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
Another vote for John's Roast Pork. Hands down the best cheesesteak in the city. Tony Luke's or Sonny's would probably be my #2, but it's not even close to the glory that is JRP.

I totally agree! There used to be a strip club called Wizards under Abners that ran a special where you got a free cheesesteak from Abners when you bought a beer before 4pm on weekdays. Great value. Worked out to be $6 for a beer and cheesesteak and you got to stare at really nasty half naked women. Unfortunately someone got shot in Wizards and they changed the name to something else. But the cheesesteaks were always the highlight. :laugh:

It's called Atlantis now, and I think they still have the same deal (but I've never been). Not really a big fan of Abner's, other than being able to buy a six-pack along with my cheesesteak.

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
Getting bad bread in Philly is a pretty rare feat.

Yea if you go to any good deli or sandwhich shop in Philly they have good rolls. Most times the rolls for local neighborhood pizza spots are still pretty average tho. Well compared to what I prefer.

Cleary84

Nov 7, 2008
Philadelphia, PA
I like Joe's Steaks(formerly Chinks) and Steve's Steaks. John's Roast Pork is supposed to have the best in Philly but somehow I still haven't tried it. Not a big fan of Pat or Geno's but they're okay.

My dad and I are supporters of Joe's, so I can second that! Highly recommend them.

I like Chink's Steaks (Now Joe's)

When the hell did they rename Chinks?

I'm from Tacony, been living in State College for 2 years now, and wasn't aware of this!

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
I grew up in S. Philly. I have been to John's a million times. the roast pork is awesome but the cheese steaks are just good.

I eaten at Pat's, Geno's, Shank's, Jim's, John's, the original DiNics, D'Allesandro's, Steve's, Tlk of the Town, Chink's, my good friend growing up was Nicky Lucidonia (Tony Luke's brother). I also worked at butcher.

I know Geno's and Pat's steaks are the best meat. Go to John's ask him not to chop up the meat and try to eat it. Shoe leather!

Geno'& Pat's - best steaks
Di Nic's & Shank's - best roast pork
Tony Luke's - best chicken Italian

Anyone who intends to use the meat without chopping it up will usually have it sliced thinner. Otherwise, if it's going to be chopped, then it can be a little bit thicker. At least that's what some steak shop owners have told me while I was growing up there.

Slightly OT: I no longer live in Philly, so for the last 15 years while living in Southwest Florida, the best cheesesteaks I've had have been the ones I make. I go to a local meat market (Mario's Meats in Fort Myers) where they slice the rib eye perfectly. They even carry Dietz & Watson stuff, so I get my cheese there too. Only issue is rolls. Can be a problem sometimes, but the trick is to order a bunch of Publix deli rolls and then pick them up. This way you don't have to rely on whatever has been sitting out all day getting stale. They will usually be pretty good and to my liking..crisp on the outside, soft on the inside.

Other than that..go home chop of the meat real good on the griddle..carve out a sandwich shape in the meat..pour some water in the meat when it's almost done, put the cheese on top, let the steam melt the cheese in the meat, plop the roll on top for a minute and off ya go. No seasoning! You want salt? Put it on your own steak afterward. :D

Hivemind

We're Touched
Oct 8, 2010
Philadelphia
I've only had the Dinic's in the Navy Yard, so perhaps it's different at other locations, but I think they have pretty awful rolls. Taste like they're a couple days old. And they changed up the pork a couple years ago, and it hasn't been as good since.

deadhead

Feb 26, 2014
Loved Mama's Cheesesteaks (Bala-Cynwood) 30 years ago, see they're still going strong.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Not a cheesesteak question really, but is the White House still in AC? And do they still make awesome hoagies?

Yes and yes. It's caddy corner from the new Bass Pro Shops btw.

Johns roast pork uses sesame seed rolls, not a fan. Mamas is my favorite cheesesteak. Chicken cutlet hoagie at tony Luke's is my fav. Chicken cheesesteaks at pudgy's in blue bell with mushrooms also good

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad