OT: Best Place to eat Philly Steaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

Avengers*

I'm visiting Philly next month and I'd like to know what is the best place to eat a good sub.

I heard some good things about Geno's steaks and Pat's steaks!

Which place is better?

Any other restaurant I should try out?

MiamiScreamingEagles

Global Moderator
Jan 17, 2004
While others respond, there is a Visitors Guide sticky on top this forum with suggestions in the first post. Also, more recent posts have discussed favorites.

JustJim

Feb 20, 2012
Paignton,UK
Jim's on South Street! I love that place! You buy them down stairs where they're cooked, then carry them upstairs and eat them with a crowd of other hungry patrons...and rather than standing outside at Geno's or Pat's, you can sit down and enjoy yourself.
They're also delicious! I like mine with lots of fried onions, cheese wiz, and catsup!!

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011
I like Joe's Steaks(formerly Chinks) and Steve's Steaks. John's Roast Pork is supposed to have the best in Philly but somehow I still haven't tried it. Not a big fan of Pat or Geno's but they're okay.

Sniped

Snowballs at Santa
Mar 13, 2013
Philly
I like Joe's Steaks(formerly Chinks) and Steve's Steaks. John's Roast Pork is supposed to have the best in Philly but somehow I still haven't tried it. Not a big fan of Pat or Geno's but they're okay.

My dad and I are supporters of Joe's, so I can second that! Highly recommend them.

duffy9748

Nov 26, 2007
Jim's for the quality. Geno's or Pat's if you're looking for the experience.

usahockey22flyers

2 years away from being 2 years away
Nov 9, 2009
Philly
If you're going to the a Flyers game or something, Campos in the stadium is always pretty good.

Jims in the city is nice

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia
Geno's is okay, and Pat's downright sucks. They're tourist traps, avoid them if possible. But, if you do decide to go to one of those two places, Geno's is the no doubt obvious choice over the cross street rival.

I like Chink's Steaks (Now Joe's)

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Geno's and Pat's you hear of because they're the "battling" tourist attractions. I've heard great things about Jim's as had been mentioned already. Tony Luke's is also really good...although I'd recommend the roast pork there, and anywhere really. It's the better sandwich IMO.

The cheesesteak is like the big brother, the popular pro bound athlete who gets all the love. The roast pork is like his younger red-headed stepbrother who's aceing all of his masters-level astrophysics classes at Harvard, who'll run the country soon enough.

DiNic's roast pork at Reading Terminal Market was voted the best sandwich in the country...in the city of cheesesteaks, so there's that :laugh:

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Geno's is okay, and Pat's downright sucks. They're tourist traps, avoid them if possible. But, if you do decide to go to one of those two places, Geno's is the no doubt obvious choice over the cross street rival.

I like Chink's Steaks (Now Joe's)

I would like to add to what you said about Geno's by encouraging the OP to get drunk before going there.

I honestly never had Geno's sober.

LegionOfDoom91

Jan 25, 2013
Philadelphia, PA
Geno's and Pat's you hear of because they're the "battling" tourist attractions. I've heard great things about Jim's as had been mentioned already. Tony Luke's is also really good...although I'd recommend the roast pork there, and anywhere really. It's the better sandwich IMO.

The cheesesteak is like the big brother, the popular pro bound athlete who gets all the love. The roast pork is like his younger red-headed stepbrother who's aceing all of his masters-level astrophysics classes at Harvard, who'll run the country soon enough.

DiNic's roast pork at Reading Terminal Market was voted the best sandwich in the country...in the city of cheesesteaks, so there's that :laugh:

I have to try it again, the one & only time I had it they put some nasty *** cheese on it & it kind of ruined it for me.

OrangeAndBlackMetal

Dark Wizard of the Black Cascade
Aug 14, 2009
Reykjavík
I guess genos or pats are ok for a 1 time experience; but I wouldn't ever patron genos and their ignorant, discriminatory and overall unintelligent proprietors. Pats is ok I suppose.

Out of the spots in the city, Tony Lukes is probably the best, but if you're feeling adventurous, take a trip up to roxborough and try out Dalessandros.

Toonces

They should have kept Shjon Podein...
Feb 23, 2003
New Jersey
The correct answer here is whichever you like. If you're going to be there for any length of time, do yourself a favor and try all the local cheese steak institutions. Definitely hit Pat's and Geno's, because they are the most touristy, and they make great sandwiches, but there are also good ones, such as Tony Lukes, or Jim's, or Joe's which are all great too.

It's impossible to recommend just one because everybody has different tastes. There is no "best".

daynus

Nov 25, 2002
Good Ole Saskatchewan
Visit site
when i made my way to philly

for the first time last november, and taking a gamble that hockey would get going, and i had to settle for eagles and 76ers. i stayed at loews hotel in old philly. i was riding the cab from the airport and asked the taxi driver, so this is south street eh. yup. was way too far away for me to go and eat. so i got to the hotel on market street, and went to a food cart on the corner. grabbed a very good cheesesteak sandwich and soup for like $7. very satisfied with the quality and value. then i walked over to reading train station i think it was called, behind the philly convention center, and its like a food market where you can get fresh food from all over the globe. so i was not gonna cook food, ate the east indian and sushi place, good eats.china town was very good food, great price. went to the hardrock cafe just on the corner, was pricy, and my server had the personality of a plant. not going back their. when i get back to philly i will go the same course.

Michael Farkas

Celebrate 68
Jun 28, 2006
NYC
www.hockeyprospect.com
Besides the very obvious, put me down for Tony Luke's...I'd also like to add my favorite little "secret" lunch spot...Atlantic Pizza/Diner at 12th & Reed. I've always come away quite pleased with their sandwiches...it's a little hole in the wall place, but it's decent.

Jack Straw

Moving much too slow.
Sponsor
Jul 19, 2010
New York
I haven't been back to Philly in many moons, but even before I moved away it had been a long time since I bothered with Pat's or Geno's. Jim's is great, and a good "cheesesteak experience". I was partial to Abner's, in University City. Abner's also makes great hoagies, which imo are better than cheesesteaks. Although some times you just really need that grease.

lancer247

Jan 16, 2007
I'm visiting Philly next month and I'd like to know what is the best place to eat a good sub.

I heard some good things about Geno's steaks and Pat's steaks!

Which place is better?

Any other restaurant I should try out?

1. Geno's
2. Pat's

3. Steve's Prince of Steaks

people are going to hate on Geno's and Pat's. They'll call them tourist traps but they really are the best.

Geno's uses the best steak. All these other places people will name have to chop up their steaks because they are a cheaper cut of meat so it's too tough to eat whole. Geno's and Pat's is a better cut of meat.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad