OT: Best Place to eat Philly Steaks?

Status
Not open for further replies.

ihatebraydenschenn

I like Joe's Steaks(formerly Chinks) and Steve's Steaks. John's Roast Pork is supposed to have the best in Philly but somehow I still haven't tried it. Not a big fan of Pat or Geno's but they're okay.

Jim's on South Street! I love that place! You buy them down stairs where they're cooked, then carry them upstairs and eat them with a crowd of other hungry patrons...and rather than standing outside at Geno's or Pat's, you can sit down and enjoy yourself.
They're also delicious! I like mine with lots of fried onions, cheese wiz, and catsup!!

Jim's, Pat's, Geno's, Chink's, Steve's... they're all overrated in my opinion.

Steve's is probably the best out of those popular spots, but even so, I'd take a cheesesteak from a pizza joint in the burbs over that **** they sell down in the city. $12 for some greasy, filthy, non-chopped up steak on a ****** roll? No thanks, I'll go to the Steak and Hoagie Factory or the Fresh Works instead.

Chink's is filthy. I went there the last weekend they had the name Chink's and thought that place was super overrated.

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
John's Roast Pork.

FYI, if you walk into any place that sells cheesesteaks in the philly area, and all you say is "i'll have a cheesesteak", your steak will come with american cheese on it. cheese whiz on a cheesesteak is the exception, not the norm.

ihatebraydenschenn

John's Roast Pork.

FYI, if you walk into any place that sells cheesesteaks in the philly area, and all you say is "i'll have a cheesesteak", your steak will come with american cheese on it. cheese whiz on a cheesesteak is the exception, not the norm.

I always go with American, but I like dipping my American cheesesteak into some cheese whiz :D

Got a cheesesteak and cheese fries this weekend and did that.

Jray42

May 10, 2009
Philadelphia

Steve's is probably the best out of those popular spots, but even so, I'd take a cheesesteak from a pizza joint in the burbs over that **** they sell down in the city. $12 for some greasy, filthy, non-chopped up steak on a ****** roll? No thanks, I'll go to the Steak and Hoagie Factory or the Fresh Works instead.

Chink's is filthy. I went there the last weekend they had the name Chink's and thought that place was super overrated.

:eek::scared::tmi::skeptic:

cheesesteak

Jul 3, 2011

Chink's is awesome. Another thing with all these places is it depends who's working the grill. I rarely get a bad steak from Chink's or Steve's tho. They're two different styles to me too. I'll only get american with or without from Chink's...anybody who goes in there asking for whiz isn't getting the real Chink's experience(they didn't start selling whiz until the last few years). At Steve's I will get almost anything American or whiz with or without...sometimes even both cheeses.

Are you really complaining that the meat is not chopped tho? I bet the pieces of meat Steve's are using is better quality then any of the chopped up stuff at your normal neighborhood joint. Chink's is chopped tho. Steak and hoagie factory is OK but not on par with Chink's or Steve's IMO

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
1. Geno's
2. Pat's

3. Steve's Prince of Steaks

people are going to hate on Geno's and Pat's. They'll call them tourist traps but they really are the best.

Geno's uses the best steak. All these other places people will name have to chop up their steaks because they are a cheaper cut of meat so it's too tough to eat whole. Geno's and Pat's is a better cut of meat.

I firmly believe you have no idea what you are talking about. Geno's and Pat's are not quality in the least sense of the word.

If you want a good cheesesteak (with american) or roast pork (with sharp provolone), go to John's Roast Pork on Snyder Ave in South Philly. They are only open during the week until about 3pm, but they have some of the best sandwiches in the city.

flyguy

Sean Cubeturier
Dec 28, 2004
Anchorage, Alaska
John's Roast Pork.

Agreed, and American is the way it should be. Best cheese for a steak sandwich. It's important that they melt it on the steak while on the grill though. Some places, like Jim's, put the cheese on the bread with the steak on top, and it's just not the same.

sobrien

RAFFLCOPTER
Jul 19, 2009
South Jersey
Cheesesteak hoagie > cheesesteak.

There. Someone had to say it.

Yup, you did.

Now get out.

angry-mob.jpg

driller1

Dry Island Reject
Feb 4, 2010
I haven't been back to Philly in many moons, but even before I moved away it had been a long time since I bothered with Pat's or Geno's. Jim's is great, and a good "cheesesteak experience". I was partial to Abner's, in University City. Abner's also makes great hoagies, which imo are better than cheesesteaks. Although some times you just really need that grease.

I totally agree! There used to be a strip club called Wizards under Abners that ran a special where you got a free cheesesteak from Abners when you bought a beer before 4pm on weekdays. Great value. Worked out to be $6 for a beer and cheesesteak and you got to stare at really nasty half naked women. Unfortunately someone got shot in Wizards and they changed the name to something else. But the cheesesteaks were always the highlight. :laugh:

PAZUZU

Jan 25, 2012
Philly 'burbs
I firmly believe you have no idea what you are talking about. Geno's and Pat's are not quality in the least sense of the word.

If you want a good cheesesteak (with american) or roast pork (with sharp provolone), go to John's Roast Pork on Snyder Ave in South Philly. They are only open during the week until about 3pm, but they have some of the best sandwiches in the city.

John's Roast Pork is open on saturdays 9-4 now.

http://www.johnsroastpork.com/

Protest

C`est La Vie
Mar 28, 2008
Deptford, NJ
I totally agree! There used to be a strip club called Wizards under Abners that ran a special where you got a free cheesesteak from Abners when you bought a beer before 4pm on weekdays. Great value. Worked out to be $6 for a beer and cheesesteak and you got to stare at really nasty half naked women. Unfortunately someone got shot in Wizards and they changed the name to something else. But the cheesesteaks were always the highlight. :laugh:

Step 1 is admitting you have a problem.

sa cyred

Running Data Models
Sep 11, 2007
SJ
Yea cool thing to do is hate on Pats and Genos. Have tried most of them and they all have some positives and negatives. I always go back to Genos though. My mom and family have gone there for a longggggg time so maybe it's just a family thing but they are not that bad. The best cheesesteak I have had is where I live in Sewell Destefanos Deli. Little mom and pop shop which is super good.

IceAce

Strait Trippin'
Jun 9, 2010
Philadelphia
Honestly think Jim's is the best of the lot, although after living here for 17 years now (I could probably hit Pat's and Geno's with a rock from my place) I hardly look at a cheesesteak any more. I'd much rather go to DiNic's in Reading Terminal and get one of their pulled pork sandwiches.

Mylec 22

Jun 2, 2010
Dalessandro's is the best.

I absolutely agree.

Also, I'd like to throw in a little place in Bala Cynwyd called Mama's Pizzeria (if they're still around). They have really good steaks, and they're also huge! Probably the biggest steak you'll ever get. Definitely worth checking out.

kicksave27

Nov 29, 2007
Mama's is still there on Belmont ave and still good and also huge.

John's Roast pork, they have sesame seed rolls, some people don't like that. I like the rolls at Tony Lukes (front and oregon), and you can get them with broccoli rab and sharp provolone (steak italian).

As much as philly is known for cheesesteaks, they put many awesome things on a roll, like chicken cutlet, and their roast pork is generally the best sandwich in the US. Most of my friends from out of town make me take them to Pats/Ginos, then the next day I get them a roast pork, then they see the light.

Avengers*

Thanks for all the great suggestions guys. I noted the best places and will try at least 4-5 steaks shops!

Hockeypete49

How you like me now!
Mar 22, 2009
South Jersey
Yea cool thing to do is hate on Pats and Genos. Have tried most of them and they all have some positives and negatives. I always go back to Genos though. My mom and family have gone there for a longggggg time so maybe it's just a family thing but they are not that bad. The best cheesesteak I have had is where I live in Sewell Destefanos Deli. Little mom and pop shop which is super good.

Dam, Its been years but when I was a pipe foremen we did a job not far from there and we would send a break ***** there every day to get our lunch order. Everything we got there was good. Course if we wanted a cold one we went to the Barnsboro.

flyershockey

Oct 10, 2006
Dam, Its been years but when I was a pipe foremen we did a job not far from there and we would send a break ***** there every day to get our lunch order. Everything we got there was good. Course if we wanted a cold one we went to the Barnsboro.

Barnsboro is awesome with their bar in the basement of the place.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad