OT: Alphonso Davies (and other European football talk)

booyakasha

Oct 11, 2007
Edmonton, AB
Anyone who’s an Oilers fan should support Man United:

1) former winning club with some of the great players of all time (and 2 of the absolute best ever in Best and Ronaldo)
2) other teams’ supporters love to hate them
3) both teams have rich incompetent owners that use the club as a cash cow
4) both clubs are situated in cold northern working class cities
manutd suck balls

Reactions: oilers'72

Bangers

May 31, 2006
There are a fair number of Man U fans here actually. What is the deal with Pogba? Are they going to extend him or is he gone in the summer transfer market?

My guess (hope?) is that they’ll extend him and work out a transfer.

The Hound

Oct 10, 2015

1) former winning club with some of the great players of all time (and 2 of the absolute best ever in Best and Ronaldo)
Utd fans aren’t from Manchester :laugh:
Georgie Best was class though.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Saturday's free NBC game is Manchester United vs Manchester City @ 10:30 MST.

4 games on NBCSN Sunday. I'll have to ask if I can post the site I use which has American network and HD cable streams but not PPV streams (Peacock for example).

Reactions: booyakasha

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
On Sunday:

Southampton vs. Sheffield United @ 5:00 (NBCSN)
Crystal Palace vs. Tottenham @ 7:15 (NBCSN)
Fulham vs. Liverpool @ 9:30 (NBCSN)
Arsenal vs. Burnley @ 10:15 (NBCSN)
Leicester City vs. Brighton @ 10:15 (Peacock)

I'll give the link to watch the first 4 games, if given the OK. The 5th game, you're left to your own devices.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

Meh, I never got into United. I never hated them but never really liked them that much either. Although I do have fond memories of that Champions League final in 1999. First one I ever watched. That comeback with Teddy Sheringham and OGS stepping up in the final stages of the game was something incredible. I did enjoy watching them however when Ronaldo was there. He was so fun to watch back then before he went to Real.

I don't really have a team in England. Originally I liked Arsenal because of Ljungberg who is from the same town as me and I had season tickets that year and saw him every game before he got sold to Arsenal. Was a bit of an idol growing up as we played a similar style of game. Arsenal had a fun team for a few years there with Henry, Pires, Ljungberg, Vieira, Bergkamp etc. But then they all just kinda faded out and the club was mismanaged by the owners.

I also did like Chelsea before Abramovich came into the picture. Liverpool on the other hand I always had a strong hatred for. Most boring team with the most boring players under Houllier yet somehow they had a lot of fans. I do like them a lot better these days though, it's a completely different club now under Klopp, much more in line with what I like to watch.

Zaddy

Feb 8, 2013

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Wow, and Papa Bouba Diop too? Only 42...I remember the 2002 World Cup like it was yesterday. Diop and El Hadji Diouf were fun to watch in that Senegalese team.

Man there have been so many famous people who died this year it's crazy.

Yeah. Most of the time the memorials are for players or managers from a bygone era. Rarely for someone who was still in the prime of their life, if not playing, at least being active in some sort of footballing capacity.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
4 teams look to move to the top of the table on Wednesday (MST):

Arsenal vs Southampton @ 11:00 AM (NBCSN)
Leeds United vs Newcastle @ 11:00 AM (Peacock/DAZN)
Leicester City vs Everton @ 11:00 AM (Peacock/DAZN)
Liverpool vs Tottenham @ 1:00 PM (NBCSN)
Fulham vs Brighton @ 1:00 PM (Peacock/DAZN)
West Ham vs Crystal Palace @ 1:00 PM (Peacock/DAZN)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
So I was bored again last night at midnight and started watching the Bundesliga Hertha Berlin vs Mainz tilt. I don't know why, as i don't have any particular like for either side, and neither are an entertaining or easy watch of any sort. Frankly I detected not one player I'd have on my team if I got to select.

So after one half of play the score was predictably 0-0 as it would take skill to score a goal or make a play, or finish a play. It was a series of disconnected rambling play with one club trying to get their coach fired before the other. Turned it off at the half, because I was ready for sleep by then. Looked it up today and the final score was 0-0 and neither club managed a shot on goal the entire match. This is not German football to me. Somebody stole the Bundesliga and instead we have this version where if these 2 clubs played any other time I don't know how there would be fans in the stands either. I would certainly not pay 25cents to watch this match. bad bad.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
2 mid to lower table games on Thursday.

Aston Villa vs Burnley @ 11:00 AM (NBCSN)
Sheffield United vs Manchester United @ 1:00 PM (NBCSN)

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Bayern vs Wolfsburg was very good last night.

Bayern with a lot of injury trouble and not sharp on the day, but get saved by outstanding game changing plays by Lewandowki and Neuer in goal.

Spectacular finish on both goals by Lewandowski. Neuer saved the result for Bayern against a game W side that kept coming.

Sane and Gnabre just brutal, absolutely brutal. Should not even be seeing the pitch. Sane is more dangerous for opponents then he is for Bayern.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Matchweek 14 EPL games on Saturday (MST):

Crystal Palace vs. Liverpool @ 5:30 AM (NBCSN)
Southampton vs Manchester City @ 8:00 AM (NBCSN)
Everton vs Arsenal @ 10:30 AM (NBC)
Newcastle United vs Fulham @ 1:00 PM (Peacock/DAZN)

NBC Sports - USTVGO.TV

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
On Sunday (MST):

Brighton (16) vs Sheffield United (20) @ 5:00 AM (Peacock/DAZN)
Tottenham (3) vs Leicester City (4) @ 7:15 AM (NBCSN)
Manchester United (7) vs Leeds United (14) @ 9:30 AM (NBCSN)
West Bromich (19) vs Aston Villa (11) @ 12:15 PM (NBCSN)

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad