OT: Alphonso Davies (and other European football talk)

OfCorsiDid

54 goals? Must've been the money!
Mar 20, 2017
Toronto, ON
When United beats Leipzig 5-0 in the UCL after being so shit in the PL:

E6E6B3F0-77F0-45D0-8804-4C4A450BE55B.jpeg

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Huge win on Saturday for 1. FC Köln aka 'miracle of Dortmund'
Borussia Dortmund - 1. FC Köln 1:2

267 Days without a win and breaking a 18 game loosing streak in Dortmund! :thumbu:

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
Saturday's free TV game on NBC: Leeds vs. Everton @ 10:30 AM MST

I went to the Everton game at Commonwealth years ago. I think they were playing a team from Chile.

i went to a lot of those exhibition games at Commonwealth. Don't get to see a lot of high level Soccer here.

Went to Edmonton Drillers games years ago in the old NASL. Never saw Pele but some other stars.

Bundesliga games have been back on tap. Kind of hit and miss though. Some of the play has been up and down. One game 0-0, was so deplorable, both teams kicking ball back to goalie so often just to retain defensive possession. Without a crowd the two clubs could just do that all day. With a crowd they would be booed off the pitch. I mean it was Leverkusen home game, not sure how that rabid crowd would have dealt with that game. sure wasnt worth watching.

really isn't the same without rabid Leverkusen fans..

Last edited:
Reactions: oilers'72

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I went to the Everton game at Commonwealth years ago. I think they were playing a team from Chile.

i went to a lot of those exhibition games at Commonwealth. Don't get to see a lot of high level Soccer here.

Went to Edmonton Drillers games years ago in the old NASL. Never saw Pele but some other stars.

Bundesliga games have been back on tap. Kind of hit and miss though. Some of the play has been up and down. One game 0-0, was so deplorable, both teams kicking ball back to goalie so often just to retain defensive possession. Without a crowd the two clubs could just do that all day. With a crowd they would be booed off the pitch. I mean it was Leverkusen home game, not sure how that rabid crowd would have dealt with that game. sure wasnt worth watching.

I had season tickets on the first row at midfield (east side) at Commonwealth. Pele and Georgio Chinaglia never played against the Drillers The team only played the Cosmos twice and won both times.

I'd tell more but I'm trying to type one-handed.

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
I had season tickets on the first row at midfield (east side) at Commonwealth. Pele and Georgio Chinaglia never played against the Drillers The team only played the Cosmos twice and won both times.

I'd tell more but I'm trying to type one-handed.

Sorry, it was 2-2. Chinaglia was in all 4, with Franz Beckenbauer in the first game. I think Pele had left the league.

Aug. 7, 1980 Edmonton Drillers 2 - 3 New York Cosmos | SoccerStats.us
Aug. 9, 1981 Edmonton Drillers 2 - 0 New York Cosmos | SoccerStats.us
July 7, 1982 Edmonton Drillers 2 - 1 New York Cosmos | SoccerStats.us
June 27, 1982 Edmonton Drillers 1 - 3 New York Cosmos | SoccerStats.us (game was at Giants Stadium)

lakai17

Aug 10, 2006
Davies named Canadas top soocer player of the year. No surprise. Awesome for the 20 year old.

He is back training with the team, things are looking good health wise.

Reactions: Bangers

Drivesaitl

Finding Hyman
Oct 8, 2017
Canuck hunting
meh, Plastik-Club

Bunch of Bayer employees and nearby Assis :popcorn:

Heh, I have no horses in this race from my long away perspective of Edmonton Alberta. Which is to say I know nothing about the Bundesliga other than watching games. We don't get a lof ot news and backgrounds and such here. I don't have allegiance with any particular team, but in someway that makes it more enjoyable, just like the good football, when its played.

Cloned

Begging for Bega
Aug 25, 2003
Heh, I have no horses in this race from my long away perspective of Edmonton Alberta. Which is to say I know nothing about the Bundesliga other than watching games. We don't get a lof ot news and backgrounds and such here. I don't have allegiance with any particular team, but in someway that makes it more enjoyable, just like the good football, when its played.
Dortmund play the most entertaining football in the league and have a seemingly endless supply of good young players. If they actually kept all their star players they would be better than prime Barcelona.

Reactions: Zaddy

SaltNPeca

Jan 9, 2017
Köln
Only a dig at Leverkusen which is actually an old team. The newer teams with big corporate money like Wolfsburg, Leipzig, Hoffenheim, ... are kind of widely despised.

Tradition > Commerce kind of thing. Maybe like being an Original 6 snob in NHL.

Leverkusen (Bayer) has like 150k citizens & sits in 4th place
Wolsburg (VW) has just over 100k citizens and sits 5th
Leipzig (Red Bull) is #1 in the Bundesliga

oilers'72

Jul 3, 2006
Red Deer, Alta
Sucks that West Ham soiled the bed badly, 3-1

Will be mainly listening to the Chelsea/Leeds game online (same site) but taking some breaks to watch.

ghostnights

Oct 8, 2010
Edmonton
Good start for Leeds. Werner flub a sitter.
Good game so far.

Excited for Arsenal Tottenham and Wolves Liverpool tomorrow .

Bangers

May 31, 2006
Anyone who’s an Oilers fan should support Man United:

1) former winning club with some of the great players of all time (and 2 of the absolute best ever in Best and Ronaldo)
2) other teams’ supporters love to hate them
3) both teams have rich incompetent owners that use the club as a cash cow
4) both clubs are situated in cold northern working class cities

Bryanbryoil

Pray For Ukraine
Sep 13, 2004
Anyone who’s an Oilers fan should support Man United:

1) former winning club with some of the great players of all time (and 2 of the absolute best ever in Best and Ronaldo)
2) other teams’ supporters love to hate them
3) both teams have rich incompetent owners that use the club as a cash cow
4) both clubs are situated in cold northern working class cities

There are a fair number of Man U fans here actually. What is the deal with Pogba? Are they going to extend him or is he gone in the summer transfer market?

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad