OT: OT: 2018 Football Thread III: Well, the Giants suck, anyway!

Bob Richards

Mr. Mojo Risin'
Feb 9, 2011
Jersey
The Giants are a bad football team.

My sources confirm this to be true

tomflag.gif

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
1) Actually, they do. As seen just this past week with the nonsensical focus on OBJ hitting the AC unit thing.
2) It most definitely is (at the bare minimum, it is a big part of it).
3) Funny, because when OBJ does it, it's a "tantrum" but when Brady and Rodgers do it (and both have), it's "leadership" or them being "fired up".

If you can't agree that there is a double-standard, I honestly think you need to check why you feel that's the case. We have ample evidence of each of the above guys doing similar things. Yet only the young, black player is called out for a "temper tantrum" or whatever other denigrating term you want to see used.

The double-standard is pretty clear. If you can't see it, I think that's more on you than anything else. ¯\_(ツ)_/¯
(1) I don't care if he head butts an AC unit. It's a big deal because a superstar is doing something out of the ordinary, like when Tom Brady wore a Yankee hat.
(2) If the only thing you have is the very rare helmet toss by Brady/Rodgers you'll need to do a lot better than that.
(3) Again, you don't see Brady/Rodgers/etc. doing that at all. When do they publically call out their teammates?

Like I said, you see what you want to see. OBJ is your guy and you've defended him for basically everything he's ever done including getting suspended for trying to injure someone. You create false equivalencies and make ad hominems on anyone that doesn't agree and infer a racist motive. That's on you. Temper tantrums have been part of sports forever. No one cares about them in isolation but eventually that's what you become known for (see John McEnroe). Rodgers might not get slammed for throwing a helmet once every 3 years but he got skewered for defending Ryan Braun and welching on a bet. If you follow it up with a win no one will remember but if you follow it up with a muffed punt or dropped pass people are going to remember. If the Giants beat the Packers in the playoffs no one would have cared about the boat trip either.

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
(1) I don't care if he head butts an AC unit. It's a big deal because a superstar is doing something out of the ordinary, like when Tom Brady wore a Yankee hat.
(2) If the only thing you have is the very rare helmet toss by Brady/Rodgers you'll need to do a lot better than that.
(3) Again, you don't see Brady/Rodgers/etc. doing that at all. When do they publically call out their teammates?

Like I said, you see what you want to see. OBJ is your guy and you've defended him for basically everything he's ever done including getting suspended for trying to injure someone. You create false equivalencies and make ad hominems on anyone that doesn't agree and infer a racist motive. That's on you. Temper tantrums have been part of sports forever. No one cares about them in isolation but eventually that's what you become known for (see John McEnroe). Rodgers might not get slammed for throwing a helmet once every 3 years but he got skewered for defending Ryan Braun and welching on a bet. If you follow it up with a win no one will remember but if you follow it up with a muffed punt or dropped pass people are going to remember. If the Giants beat the Packers in the playoffs no one would have cared about the boat trip either.

1) No, it's a big deal because Beckham does it. We've already seen video evidence of other players doing similar shit without the media attention.
2) See the video posted before. Brady has done essentially the same things as Beckham over the course of his career (other than the silly net thing). We have video evidence of this, even.
3) Have you bothered to search Google for this . . . like . . . at all?

Dungy On Rodgers: "That Would Concern Me"

Fired-up Tom Brady rips into teammates - The Boston Globe

Brady calls out his teammates

You can Google this if you actually want to read the times this has happened. Those are just the first couple of results. Again, it's "leadership" when these two guys do it and "cancerous" when Beckham does it. Ironically, both the Giants and the Patriots responded to their respective players' calling out teammates. Yet, again, one guy gets away with it and one guy doesn't. One guy throws "temper tantrums" and the others are "fiery".

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
1) No, it's a big deal because Beckham does it. We've already seen video evidence of other players doing similar **** without the media attention.
2) See the video posted before. Brady has done essentially the same things as Beckham over the course of his career (other than the silly net thing). We have video evidence of this, even.
3) Have you bothered to search Google for this . . . like . . . at all?

Dungy On Rodgers: "That Would Concern Me"

Fired-up Tom Brady rips into teammates - The Boston Globe

Brady calls out his teammates

You can Google this if you actually want to read the times this has happened. Those are just the first couple of results. Again, it's "leadership" when these two guys do it and "cancerous" when Beckham does it. Ironically, both the Giants and the Patriots responded to their respective players' calling out teammates. Yet, again, one guy gets away with it and one guy doesn't. One guy throws "temper tantrums" and the others are "fiery".
Being the pretty boy QB with a literal handful of rings and arguably the greatest to play the most important position in the game buys you a lot of leeway.

OBJ and the Giants during his tenure have at times been bad and downright dysfunctional. His stuff just feeds the narrative. If he thinks it's unfair, well, he should just stop getting involved. I promise there are ways to fire up your teammates without going on ESPN and embarrassing your organization and coaches.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Again. That video showed stuff that neither player gets much attention for. I noticed that video left out the cruise, the no show PO game, the kickers net, the video of obj at that party, etc. He gets attention bc he did those things and Brady didn't. Brady won instead. Those things he did exacerbates the attention he gets. Half the things in that video were not equivalent either.

His team is also a tire fire right now. Disasters draw eyes

Also Brady has been in the league way longer. Why is obj in a handful of years already matching 15 years worth of Brady yelling?

I think obj will be a fine leader but right now he does some immature stuff and draws attention to himself for reasons that are not racial

Its foolish to think that race is irrelevant to everything surrounding obj. I think it's just as incorrect to pretend it's just bc of (or even mostly bc of) race

Last edited:
Reactions: ponzu4u

RangerBoy

Dolan sucks!!!
Mar 3, 2002
New York
www.youtube.com
ESPN did a feature on the AFC which will unseat the Pats as the premier team in the conference. Brady is not going to plat forever.

KC with Mahomes is the heir apparent

The Jets are a dark horse team

Sam Darnold hasn't played enough for anyone to know what the long-term future holds. That's a recipe for optimism in the NFL.

"I think the Jets have a chance," an exec said. "Defensively, they are pretty good, and that quarterback [Darnold] seems to have a knack. They are my dark horse team. They need some skill people, and usually you can get skill people. The receiver and running back can play right away, or you can get a nice free-agent guy to help you quickly."

Ranking the heirs apparent to Patriots' throne atop the AFC

The draft is loaded with edge pass rushers which a major need for the Jets. They take one of the top guys available in the first round. The Jets don't have their 2nd. They have the Saints 3rd.

Everything has to be focused on getting as many weapons as possible for Darnold. Put him in the best position to succeed.

They might need a get a different head coach too.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
This I agree with.

If they continue this way "bad" could be upgraded to "terrible".

I think we're already there. I'm torn between rooting for them since unlike last year there are actual players on this team I care about doing well (OBJ and Beckham) or rooting against them since I really want that QB of the future.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Jesus, Darnold played well the last couple of weeks but let's hit the breaks so far. The guy could well end up as a good and not great QB. Mahomes is at least playing great already.

Reactions: ponzu4u

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Jesus, Darnold played well the last couple of weeks but let's hit the breaks so far. The guy could well end up as a good and not great QB. Mahomes is at least playing great already.

I think everyone’s taking this pretty much in stride with Darnold. He’s had 3 good games and 3 bad games. Pretty much what I expected from a rookie.

He made some great throws this past weekend. I think he’s got some great tools, but we need time to see his decision making develop.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC

Regardless of anyone's thoughts on OBJ, they're very clearly setting him up as the fall guy.

The local press is very Giant ownership friendly, always has been. They very rarely get criticized.

The Mara's double down on Eli as a strategy and it's blowing up. It drove their GM and coach hire (retool not rebuild), it drove their draft, and it allegedly led them to cut Webb cause they didn't want a fan revolt calling for him.

You can run OBJ out of town tomorrow and all the issues the franchise has aren't going away. It's a lovely PR spin job though.

I Eat Crow

Fear The Mullet
Jul 9, 2007
Hard for a WR to "create the headlines by his play on the field" when the QB can't throw the ball...
Mara obviously meant this regarding Odell's play as the new starting QB. I mean, look at that bomb to Saquon a few days ago :sarcasm:

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
Regardless of anyone's thoughts on OBJ, they're very clearly setting him up as the fall guy.

The local press is very Giant ownership friendly, always has been. They very rarely get criticized.
I don't think this is true. Just today on WFAN they were talking about the second best ownership in NY sports. They picked the Devils lol ( I don't see how it's anyone but the NYR. They're rebuilding after clearly communicating with their fanbase and it has been painless compared to most teams who just bottom out and become a laughing stock for years. Dolan is always hands off while supplying money and top notch accommodations). They went out of their way to crap on Giants ownership for the last year. People see a lot of issues with how Mara interfered on Eli's behalf the last year. OBJ is respectively drawing attention to himself. The Oline was getting annihlated when they played awful, Flowers got cut and a ton of negative press surrounds Eli everywhere you look/listen. I just don't see evidence that any conspiracy exists to shift all the blame to OBJ. If it does exist then it is failing miserably. They're not winning and OBJ makes a TON of money while doing some out there things. How could he NOT receive any criticism whatsoever?

The Mara's double down on Eli as a strategy and it's blowing up. It drove their GM and coach hire (retool not rebuild), it drove their draft, and it allegedly led them to cut Webb cause they didn't want a fan revolt calling for him.
You can run OBJ out of town tomorrow and all the issues the franchise has aren't going away. It's a lovely PR spin job though.
I don't see the spin. Everyone is killing Eli. Honestly, the retool attempt was reasonable. This same defense did wonders the year prior. OBJ was back and they were adding an all world talent in Saquon. I personally thought Eli would be at least average. He hasn't been and that D has not regained its form so here they sit. At the same time, OBJ does unique things that draw attention his way, as he always has.

Reactions: nyr2k2

nyr2k2

Can't Beat Him
Jul 30, 2005
Maryland
I see articles everywhere I go killing Eli. "The Giants can't hide Eli Manning" "The Giant problem is Eli Manning" shit like that. It's everywhere. Even stuff about how the Giants blew it by drafting Saquon over Darnold--it's not a story about Saquon but about how Manning is terrible. Even stories about the Jets often mention how the Giants must be ruing the missed opportunity to find a QB with Eli looking like toast. I mean, I literally see articles trashing Eli everywhere.

At the same time, I see little to nothing about Beckham. And what I do see is only because he decided to inject himself into things with the ESPN interview.

If there's some greater agenda at play where the Giants are trying to shift the focus from Eli to OBJ, they're doing an awful job. At least from where I sit.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad