OT: OT: 2018 Football Thread III: Well, the Giants suck, anyway!

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
Someone please explain to something to me before I go ape **** and start breaking things.

How in the actual mother ****ing **** **** **** world is LSU with 1 loss ahead of my Notre Dame with 0 losses?

@Hunter Gathers your a smart guy. Please help!

Largely because Notre Dame is highly overrated every year and perhaps the committee is finally recognizing that. It's not SEC bias or anything else, since Notre Dame bias is always above and beyond any SEC bias. LSU's SOS is definitely superior to ND's, IMO.

Reactions: shinchanuuhh

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Largely because Notre Dame is highly overrated every year and perhaps the committee is finally recognizing that. It's not SEC bias or anything else, since Notre Dame bias is always above and beyond any SEC bias. LSU's SOS is definitely superior to ND's, IMO.
Meanwhile LSU is 2 a touchdown underdog to Alabama at home. Time for them to put up or shut up.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
Was just going through some fantasy numbers for my weekend DK lineups. I realize it's fantasy stats, but interesting on what Darnold has faced this year.

Only team the Jets will play that is in the top 10 good QB matchups is New England. Or bottom 10 pass defense if you prefer that way.

Indy, Minnesota, Detroit and Miami are all mid tier.

Denver, Jax, Cleveland and Chicago are top 10 against QBs.

Remaining games include Buffalo twice, Houston and Tennesee - all top 10 against the pass.

Not been the easier pass defenses he's faced this year. You can actually almost measure the correlation of his performances against the strength of those defenses, with an exception or two as well.

sbjnyc

Jun 28, 2011
New York
Pats have given up more passing yards than they've gained.

Fun fact, the Bucs have the most passing yards in the league after 8 weeks in only 7 games.

Beer League Sniper

Homeless Man's Rick Nash
Apr 27, 2010
City in a Forest
Darnold is really playing fine for a rookie. I wouldn't worry about him.
Seriously. High INT numbers are common for rookies, and a necessary part of growth as young QBs learn what they can and can't get away with in the league. The margins between a good throw and a terrible one are razor thin in the NFL compared to college, and good QBs will learn through making mistakes, then adjusting to not make that mistake again. It's an iterative process, especially as teams start to scout your tendencies and try to bait you into poor throws.

East Coast Bias

Feb 28, 2014
NYC
His receivers are also absolutely terrible.

I was in the end zone at the Chicago game. There was no one open. Ever. Not slight separation. It was incredible to watch.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Wherever I'm standing atm
The jets looked amazing on Sunday. Amazin mets bout to lose their title.

Bowles gets a bad rap.

Sure he routinely has to waste timeouts bc his offense is out of synch, his team commits the same mistakes with no signs of significant improvement overall, he doesn't make adjustments in game, sometimes seemingly at all, he throws his D under the bus when they hold an entire offense to under 180 yards, he hires all the wrong assistants, he has countless players get hit with DUI's and arrests under his watch, he loses the majority of his games, he offers nothing to the offense and he offers nothing to special teams.

But....wait...what was I saying again...?

(Gulps down another 1/4 bottle of whiskey) .

f***in great! Love this team

Reactions: Miamipuck

Hunter Gathers

The Crown
Feb 27, 2002
parts unknown
If Herbert isn't coming out, dont waste the first. Hes the only QB in this draft that has what it takes to be successful.
Greg Little from Ole Miss looks to be the real deal. So does Jonah William's from Alabama. It would be moronic not to take OT too 5 if Herbert doesn't come out. Bridgewater might come in here and play well. Rounds 2-5 have to be O Line if Herbert comes out. All available cap space has to go to Landon and then O Line. O line is the number one problem on this team. They dont fix the line, who ever we draft will be ruined.

Are you actually suggesting that Williams or Little would be acceptable picks in the top 2-3 of the draft? I've watched both multiple times and both are sliding down the draft boards for a reason. Williams is even getting second round grades from a number of folks, now (finally!).

Both are solid prospects, but are simply not top flight guys at all. They are the equivalent of the other first round OL - good but not elite.

ponzu4u

Feb 27, 2013
I'm sorry, but I haven't seen a single article suggesting Jonah Williams draft stock is slipping. He just got named SEC player of the week? Could you link to some of these people giving him second round grades?

I don't want him top 3, but I just literally haven't seen anything confirming the narrative you're creating around him.

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Jets fans making themselves feel better about Sam Darnold are off base. This isn't 98, it's not even 08. It's easier to be a rookie QB than ever. Mahomes is not a rookie, but this is his first season with actual playing time. Dak Prescott was great in his rookie year. Carson Wentz was pretty good. The first two had better supporting casts, but the idea that a rookie QB has to be complete garbage is an outdated one. And it's not like Darnold was some huge project. Plus, he had a ton of picks in college, he's just continuing it into the NFL. He'll be a good, not great QB, IMO.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Jets fans making themselves feel better about Sam Darnold are off base. This isn't 98, it's not even 08. It's easier to be a rookie QB than ever. Mahomes is not a rookie, but this is his first season with actual playing time. Dak Prescott was great in his rookie year. Carson Wentz was pretty good. The first two had better supporting casts, but the idea that a rookie QB has to be complete garbage is an outdated one. And it's not like Darnold was some huge project. Plus, he had a ton of picks in college, he's just continuing it into the NFL. He'll be a good, not great QB, IMO.
Lol wut? I cant figure out who this could possibly be aimed at.

You also loaded that with a ton of "buts" to try to show how rookie QBs, regardless of their teams makeup, should be able to be good.

Mahomes isn't a rookie and is on a LOADED team with offensive minded Reid as opposed to Bowles and one of the most untalented offenses in the league. There's no "but". Mahomes simply does not support your point.

Prescott had a LOADED team with an all world line. He shows that you have to surround a rookie QBs with tons of talent . He does not support your point.

Wentz's similarly had all pro offensive lineman and top talent on O with him. He does not support your point.

Darnold WAS seen as a project. Just an EXTREMELY talented, mature, low risk project. Dude has barely played QB in his life compared to most NFL players and he is barely drinking age. (I think...dude might still be 20, I forget)

A vet also took the reigns and got positively trounced. Unless you're a top qb in the league you are not doing a thing behind this line and with this pathetic collection of 'coaches' and 'talent'.

I was very vocal that I think early in the season it should've been teddy's job. But I'm not going to look at this abysmal coaching staff and abysmal roster and lay that at darnolds feet

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Lol wut? I cant figure out who this could possibly be aimed at.

You also loaded that with a ton of "buts" to try to show how rookie QBs, regardless of their teams makeup, should be able to be good.

Mahomes isn't a rookie and is on a LOADED team with offensive minded Reid as opposed to Bowles and one of the most untalented offenses in the league. There's no "but". Mahomes simply does not support your point.

Prescott had a LOADED team with an all world line. He shows that you have to surround a rookie QBs with tons of talent . He does not support your point.

Wentz's similarly had all pro offensive lineman and top talent on O with him. He does not support your point.

Darnold WAS seen as a project. Just an EXTREMELY talented, mature, low risk project. Dude has barely played QB in his life compared to most NFL players and he is barely drinking age. (I think...dude might still be 20, I forget)

A vet also took the reigns and got positively trounced. Unless you're a top qb in the league you are not doing a thing behind this line and with this pathetic collection of 'coaches' and 'talent'.

I was very vocal that I think early in the season it should've been teddy's job. But I'm not going to look at this abysmal coaching staff and abysmal roster and lay that at darnolds feet

I said that Mahomes and Prescott had better supporting casts. But they were two inexperienced QBs that looked great. I know Mahomes isn't a rookie, but this is his first season playing. Wentz had a better line, but that team was nothing to write home about. Bottom line, it's easier for a rookie to play QB than ever and people are bringing up that it's ok to throw interceptions because he's a rookie are operating like he's Peyton Manning in 1998.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
I said that Mahomes and Prescott had better supporting casts. But they were two inexperienced QBs that looked great. I know Mahomes isn't a rookie, but this is his first season playing. Wentz had a better line, but that team was nothing to write home about. Bottom line, it's easier for a rookie to play QB than ever and people are bringing up that it's ok to throw interceptions because he's a rookie are operating like he's Peyton Manning in 1998.
I'm aware you said it. I'm criticizing the fact that you dismissed it as something that contradicted your point. You continued to assert that these were examples that supported your point.

It's easier by how much exactly? How much easier is it on a loaded offense vs a middling one vs a talentless one? You totally ignored these very important questions and I think you came up with an incorrect conclusion as a result.

Edit: I get your argument that it's easier to some vague degree in GENERAL. I just think it's totally off base to look at THIS scenario and raise the argument you're raising. You also ignored how mahomes looked last year, goffs rookie season, Mariota, Winston, lynch, trubiski, etc, etc. Look at all the rookies and all of the offenses that they had when they were rookies. Dont just generalize without considering all of this.

Last edited:

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
I'm aware you said it. I'm criticizing the fact that you dismissed it as something that contradicted your point. You continued to assert that these were examples that supported your point.

It's easier by how much exactly? How much easier is it on a loaded offense vs a middling one vs a talentless one? You totally ignored these very important questions and I think you came up with an incorrect conclusion as a result. I get your argument that it's easier to some vague degree in GENERAL. I just think it's totally off base to look at THIS scenario and raise the argument you're raising

What conclusion is that? I said he'll be good, not great. In the NFL there are maybe a half dozen great QBs right now. Did I say he'll be a bust or something?

SnowblindNYR

HFBoards Sponsor
Sponsor
Nov 16, 2011
Brooklyn, NY
Your conclusion could be right. Neither of us could know for sure atm. But your reasoning is very flawed

Not really I'm replying to "he's doing well for a rookie". It's not as difficult as it was back in the day. If it makes you feel better he's arguably better than my team's QB is this season.

Hi ImHFNYR

Jan 10, 2013
Not really I'm replying to "he's doing well for a rookie". It's not as difficult as it was back in the day. If it makes you feel better he's arguably better than my team's QB is this season.
I took a break, felt I might've been responding too harshly. I was responding to your very general comment about darnold fans making themselves feel better. I'm not sure what that meant still. It seems a bit too vague and generalized to fit as a response to "hes doing well for a rookie" Separately from that I still feel your reasoning was flawed , I dont think it's a big deal tho so I should stop being a :eek::eek::eek::eek: about it

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad