Prospect Info: Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves - Traded to Dallas

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Yeah, I'm aware. And it wouldn't be good for his development. My post was more about something needs to be done about Miller and the mystique Granato is building for himself.

RHD quality and depth is definitely an issue, I agree. I hope the Eichel trade at least partially address that.

Reactions: zuikan

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia
Laaksonen is one of my favorite prospects.

He is not ready for the NHL. I'm not sure he is even average AHL level defensive play. He needs to develop in this facet and improve several fold.

Coach Appert said that Buffalo has Dahlin and other NHL teams have one first PP quarterback. So Laaaksonen needs to improve his defensive play and transition game to make the NHL.
He has some development to do. The exciting part is that he has some skill and is a good passer and skater. I wouldn't rule him out.

Reactions: Jacob582

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Appert sounds more confident about him than you are. I'll go ahead and predict he plays all season for the Sabres next year and we can check back.

He sounds like a coach struggling to find something good to say about a struggling player. That's the least confident I've ever heard an Amerks coach be about a prospect.

You do remember the last 20 years worth of praise heaped on prospects that never played a single NHL game, right?

Reactions: Jacob582

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
i didn't hear any struggling, or hyperbole, just a candid assessment of what he's good at and what he needs to work on.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Why is everyone sleeping on this guy? He was once touted as a skilled D. My guess is that there have been other players coming up and taking away the discussion about him, players like Samuelsson and Johnson, and now Power. He's a sleeper and most likely keeper imo

I see a similar trajectory as Asplund here, a solid #5/6 with good PPQB traits, which would make him the 2nd PP guy behind Dahlin. I think he will need to be added into future roster speculations as a fixture

Reactions: Team Cozens

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Why is everyone sleeping on this guy? He was once touted as a skilled D. My guess is that there have been other players coming up and taking away the discussion about him, players like Samuelsson and Johnson, and now Power. He's a sleeper and most likely keeper imo

I see a similar trajectory as Asplund here, a solid #5/6 with good PPQB traits, which would make him the 2nd PP guy behind Dahlin. I think he will need to be added into future roster speculations as a fixture
Probably it would be difficult for him to take PP time from Dahlin or Power. Power's okay at PP. But in general I agree, he could be a good third pair player or even get time in the top 4.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Probably it would be difficult for him to take PP time from Dahlin or Power. Power's okay at PP. But in general I agree, he could be a good third pair player or even get time in the top 4.

I could see him pairing with Power on PP2 next season, if he is up with the big club.

2 others

Mar 9, 2021
Oh yes, already forgetting Power here.. So it could be a PP battle between Power/Laaksonen, if Laaksonen pans out.

Gabrielor

"Win with us or watch us win." - Rasmus Dahlin
Jun 28, 2011
Buffalo, NY
He looked like money in the bank...on the pp.

He made a few key defensive plays...but on the pp.

5v5...needs work.

Reactions: joshjull

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
I could see him pairing with Power on PP2 next season, if he is up with the big club.
Perhaps, but Laaksonen will still need to hack the roster, it is not yet clear which path Adams will take and how he will solve the lack of RDs in the organization.

Jim Bob

RIP RJ
Feb 27, 2002
Rochester, NY
Perhaps, but Laaksonen will still need to hack the roster, it is not yet clear which path Adams will take and how he will solve the lack of RDs in the organization.

Well, seeing as how he is the second best RHD that they have under contract for next season, his odds of cracking the roster aren't that bad.

And the odds are looking pretty good that he might be up after the TDL.

Fjordy

Jun 20, 2018
Well, seeing as how he is the second best RHD that they have under contract for next season, his odds of cracking the roster aren't that bad.

And the odds are looking pretty good that he might be up after the TDL.
I'm talking about this, we do not know what thoughts Adams has. Completely youth defense? Signing experienced mentors for Dahlin and Power? Re-sign Pysyk? Who knows. There is also a draft, but this is in the long term and they are unlikely to be in a hurry if they choose Jiricek/Nemec/Chesley.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
He looked like money in the bank...on the pp.

He made a few key defensive plays...but on the pp.

5v5...needs work.

He had a couple of very nice plays last night moving the puck. He also had two where I was saying out loud at my laptop "What are you thinking?!?". There is work to do there, Appert and Webber and going to need to grind off those rough spots.

Reactions: HaNotsri

ValJamesDuex

Nov 4, 2021
Oskari Laaksonen with 4 assists tonight in Rochester, now 21pts in 29 games, top 5 in the AHL. Another kid climbing the ladder. Worth a look at some point ? Can't be worse than Butcher or Miller

Last edited:

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
Oskari Laaksonen with 4 assists tonight in Rochester, now 21pts in 29 games, top 5 in the AHL. Another kid climbing the ladder. Worth a look at some point ? Can't be worse than Butcher or Miller

Careful what you wish for. Laaksonen needs a lot of work in the weight room and to be much better at how he handles the puck in his own zone. I was originally going to say under pressure... but I've seen him make enough completely unforced turnovers to state it differently.

GrierIsGod123

Oct 22, 2009
Orchard Park
Careful what you wish for. Laaksonen needs a lot of work in the weight room and to be much better at how he handles the puck in his own zone. I was originally going to say under pressure... but I've seen him make enough completely unforced turnovers to state it differently.
Thanks for this reminder. It's easy to look at his point totals, we all do it to some extent. Byron Bader (NHLe) is completely based around this premise, which he uses to project prospects. I'm sure by his metrics, Laaksonen is a borderline "star" in the making.

Personally, I think he's one where we keep him down in Rochester the rest of this year and do not pencil him into any lineup scenarios for next year. Then, he can be "found money" for this team as early as mid-next season. He clearly has a lot to gain by being in the AHL. Given our goalie situation, bringing him up anytime soon would only hurt his confidence.

member 334057

I think he needs more than the weight room, kid needs to start being force fed or something. Amerks site still lists him as 6'2" 165lbs, That's Ryan Miller size, and Miller looked sickly half the time he was so thin. I think Tyler Ennis is around the same weight also, except he's 5'9" haha.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I think he needs more than the weight room, kid needs to start being force fed or something. Amerks site still lists him as 6'2" 165lbs, That's Ryan Miller size, and Miller looked sickly half the time he was so thin. I think Tyler Ennis is around the same weight also, except he's 5'9" haha.

He's 35 lbs. heavier than his initially listed draft weight and six inches taller. The lad is a string bean.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Laaksonen told Marty Biron during training camp that he was up to 185.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad