Prospect Info: Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves - Traded to Dallas

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
Has anyone seen him in Rochester yet? Ever since his WJC´s I´ve had a feeling he can become a good top4 if everything goes right. He's calm with the puck and seems to be a guy who sees opportunities when attacking. Like the way he improvises and just seems to "go with the flow" sometimes. That gives me the impression of him being collected, or just having good IQ.
The thing is that Sabres have a lot of right D´s, especially two fellow finns who are considered as top4. Will be interesting to follow how the organization will solve this in the future.

If I got to choose? I would probably put my cards on Laaksonen and Jokiharju and trade Ristolainen next coming year. Well, Montour would be the first right handed D to get rid off, but there will probably not be any takers.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Oskari Laaksonen stated his weight is up to 185 pounds (per Marty Biron)

It was interesting reading the 1st post in this thread.

db and elite still has him at 165. Also listed 165 on the Sabres Devils prospect tourney roster.

Last edited:

Kc232

Hi
Aug 12, 2008
What do you think the timetable is for Oskari?

I remember being impressed with him for a few years now, but obviously doesn't get much chatter. I'd think this year would be nice to see him as an injury replacement for at least a few games.

Matt Ress

Don't sleep on me
Aug 5, 2014
Appalachia

I remember being impressed with him for a few years now, but obviously doesn't get much chatter. I'd think this year would be nice to see him as an injury replacement for at least a few games.
Being a rightie helps. I think you still want to see more meat on his bones and see him build off of last year's 17 in 28

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
I don’t care how much he weighs, put him in for Miller and let’s get a look.

Zman5778

Oct 4, 2005
Cressona/Reading, PA

If we trade Miller at the deadline (which I'm hopeful for, as I think he could fetch something decent), I could easily see him getting a taste afterwards. Him and Fitz.

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
He isn't a good enough hockey player so that's not a great idea. He'd be chewed up in the NHL.
Neither is Miller. And not long ago Tage was (supposedly) the dumbest hockey player ever, now he’s holding his own at center. Let the giraffe whisperer work his magic. Even Eakin is missed.

Doug Prishpreed

May 1, 2013
Brooklyn
Neither is Miller. And not long ago Tage was (supposedly) the dumbest hockey player ever, now he’s holding his own at center. Let the giraffe whisperer work his magic. Even Eakin is missed.

Those players were all proven at the lower levels. Tage seemed out of place in the AHL, he was so dominant at times. Laaksonen hasn't proven much of anything.

Reactions: Jacob582

zuikan

Mar 26, 2018
Those players were all proven at the lower levels. Tage seemed out of place in the AHL, he was so dominant at times. Laaksonen hasn't proven much of anything.
Yeah, I'm aware. And it wouldn't be good for his development. My post was more about something needs to be done about Miller and the mystique Granato is building for himself.

Jacob582

Oct 16, 2012
Laaksonen is one of my favorite prospects.

He is not ready for the NHL. I'm not sure he is even average AHL level defensive play. He needs to develop in this facet and improve several fold.

Coach Appert said that Buffalo has Dahlin and other NHL teams have one first PP quarterback. So Laaaksonen needs to improve his defensive play and transition game to make the NHL.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad