Prospect Info: Oskari Laaksonen (2017, 89th) 2018-19 Ilves - Traded to Dallas

elchud

Nov 1, 2015
I remember hoping RJ would call his first NHL goal...this guy is good Oskari good. Still only 2nd to Marcus Davidsson as most disappointing 2017 draft pick. A distant 2nd.

Svedu

Apr 23, 2019
I hope this guy can figure it out in Dallas and I hope they will give him the opportunity. He could be Heiskanens right hand in the future.
He always had some good amount of talent in him. Not that easy to break in when Sabres have a young and talented D-core with Jokiharju, Dahlin, Powers (two first picks) and others.

Chainshot

Give 'em Enough Rope
Sponsor
Feb 28, 2002
Tarnation
I hope this guy can figure it out in Dallas and I hope they will give him the opportunity. He could be Heiskanens right hand in the future.
He always had some good amount of talent in him. Not that easy to break in when Sabres have a young and talented D-core with Jokiharju, Dahlin, Powers (two first picks) and others.

Laaksonen has had some issues in his adjustment to the AHL. He's always been a skinny dude and he's not put all that much weight on since he was drafted. He's easily overpowered in physical confrontations which leads to additional chances against due to lost battles along the wall or in front of the net. The other big issue? He still needs a lot of work on his decision making. He regularly turned pucks over in Rochester when not pressured at all or he would be out of position to be ready for a rush.

Offensively, he can run a PP. He's got good shooting instincts on how to get his shot through and do so with heft to it. But he's got a long, long way to go to be an effective AHL defender that is going to be hampered by his lack of strength/mass. If he can do that, more power to him. Maybe a new home will help with that. It also wouldn't surprise me if he's not tendered an NHL contract this summer and he returns to Europe.

Reactions: Svedu

Ad

Upcoming events

• Inter Milan vs Torino
    Inter Milan vs Torino
    Wagers: 4
    Staked: $1,752.00
    Event closes
    • Updated:
  • Metz vs Lille
    Metz vs Lille
    Wagers: 2