Speculation: Oshie factor?

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Not sure what this has to do with anything. It's not like he's on pace for career highs in offensive production in Washington.

We know what Oshie was here. His role (and also linemates) probably wasn't going to change if he stayed. He's not old enough to be in decline. I'm not sure why we need to take anything that's happening in Washington into account when we clearly know what he was here.
It's been referenced before. Yes...we know what he was here and it wasn't enough in the post season. This team is post season bound without Oshie. Oshie isn't viewed as a difference maker in the post season. So if all Brouwer brings is a calming effect to the bench and keeps these mental midgets from packing it in when they go down a goal, is Oshie really missed? This is just something we can't gauge till the playoffs and get feedback from the players.

BlueDream

Aug 30, 2011
Yeah making this a thread is pretty pointless, it's been discussed enough in the General Discussion thread.

Only comment I'll make on it is that it can't be that bad. It's already been confirmed that there's only a 9-point difference between the two. It'll surely be like that at the end of the season and the rest of eternity, too. :sarcasm:

Alright I'm done here.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
It's been referenced before. Yes...we know what he was here and it wasn't enough in the post season. This team is post season bound without Oshie. Oshie isn't viewed as a difference maker in the post season. So if all Brouwer brings is a calming effect to the bench and keeps these mental midgets from packing it in when they go down a goal, is Oshie really missed? This is just something we can't gauge till the playoffs and get feedback from the players.
The Blues' problems weren't caused by Oshie, and him still being with The Blues instead of Brouwer wouldn't have made a big difference in how far they go this season. Still, I'd have rather not had that trade been made. Armstrong didn't get enough back for him.

Hitchcock is a better coach than some. But, I really think that The Blues need to move on from him. They need to continue building from the draft, and bide their time and jump on opportunities tograb undervalued young talented players in "fleecing trades" (such as Seguin and what will happen with Drouin).

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
As someone who has played and coached, I'd wager there's zero chance that taking Oshie off the bench and putting Brouwer on it is all it takes to turn the 18 other guys playing from being "mental midgets" who "pack it in" into a calm, cool, collected bunch of playoff performers. I can't believe we're even setting up that narrative for potential "validation" down the road if some guys happen to talk him up.

Brouwer has (obviously) not been a difference maker in the postseason either, and he's not some sort of hockey whisperer that can will the traumatized Blues organization to playoff greatness through the sheer power of his character.

He's Troy ****ing Brouwer guys, not Robert Redford. :laugh:

jmwc95

Jul 12, 2007
The SOB and STL lines were good and had chemistry. We just needed another winger to play with Stastny and Fabbri. Now we only have one offensive line - whatever line Tarasenko is playing on.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
The three rookies and Upshall have as much credibility for effecting a change in the bench demeanor as Brouwer does.

A rental RW wouldn't be a bad thing.
Depends on the player costs, and what you think the Blues chances are.

Personally, I'm hoping Armstrong sits on his hands this deadline when it comes to the rental market.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas

Personally, I'm hoping Armstrong sits on his hands this deadline when it comes to the rental market.

He will add something. He's not as pessimistic as this board. You have a team with nearly the same points as Chicago, on paper. He will give it a go, but doubt he parts with anything too valuable.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
As someone who has played and coached, I'd wager there's zero chance that taking Oshie off the bench and putting Brouwer on it is all it takes to turn the 18 other guys playing from being "mental midgets" who "pack it in" into a calm, cool, collected bunch of playoff performers. I can't believe we're even setting up that narrative for potential "validation" down the road if some guys happen to talk him up.

Brouwer has (obviously) not been a difference maker in the postseason either, and he's not some sort of hockey whisperer that can will the traumatized Blues organization to playoff greatness through the sheer power of his character.

He's Troy ****ing Brouwer guys, not Robert Redford. :laugh:

So taking off someone's who's constantly complaining about your coaching style and decisions won't help over someone who just does their job? OK then.

The Blues' problems weren't caused by Oshie, and him still being with The Blues instead of Brouwer wouldn't have made a big difference in how far they go this season. Still, I'd have rather not had that trade been made. Armstrong didn't get enough back for him.

Hitchcock is a better coach than some. But, I really think that The Blues need to move on from him. They need to continue building from the draft, and bide their time and jump on opportunities tograb undervalued young talented players in "fleecing trades" (such as Seguin and what will happen with Drouin).

While I agree with you that it wasn't enough, getting hung up on that is pointless. The only credible evidence we have is a tweet from the Pittsburgh best writer and all he said was it included Pouliot. Given that Pittsburgh 1st is conditional to Toronto, that's off the table. Not many interesting assets from them. Army had Boston, Washington, Pittsburgh, and New York that was confirmed to be interested, and Oshie was on the market since that december. So yes I find it hard to believe there was a deal on the table that would have made this board happy.

As for Hitch, we all agree that his time is up. The idea that Armstrong was looking for a coach last year while giving Hitch the wink wink "I'm only doing to make the fans happy" is just silly. He feels the team needs a new voice but also realizes Hitchcock is a good coach and still can contribute to the team, which turns out is correct.

There's not much out there that even makes sense for a trade that fills that role, so unless they are practically free. There's just no move to make

Last edited:

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
Its so funny how some ppl think Brouwer will give us advance to post-season and is in their minds better option for playoffs then Oshie.

Dear God this fans base have lost their minds.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
Its so funny how some ppl think Brouwer will give us advance to post-season and is in their minds better option for playoffs then Oshie.

Dear God this fans base have lost their minds.

If your referring to me. Neither one are relevent in the post season.

TheBluePenguin

Apr 15, 2015
St Louis
Brower and Oshie are the exact same disappointment in the playoffs. Oshie would not be pouring up those numbers here, Caps might be the best team in the league and stacked offensivelly, I think his numbers would be about the same as brower's here with a impact in shootouts

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
He will add something. He's not as pessimistic as this board. You have a team with nearly the same points as Chicago, on paper. He will give it a go, but doubt he parts with anything too valuable.

Bring pumpkin head here. I heard he's in Florida, created ice-hockey academy with formers european NHL players (Vokoun,Sykora and Dvorak)

or bring Sobotka, the saviour and burn his contract out.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
So taking off someone's who's constantly complaining about your coaching style and decisions won't help over someone who just does their job? OK then.
1) No one here knows to what extent (if any) Oshie was a disruptive force in the locker room, or what impact that had on team performance. That's all just fanbase speculation, at least partially fueled by a heaping side of attempted rationalization to justify what otherwise appears to be a relatively unjustifiable trade.

2) Assuming for the sake of argument that Oshie was some sort of significantly disruptive force, replacing a more competent employee who isn't always in lock-step with the company line with a less competent one who happens to be a "yes man" isn't exactly a fool-proof plan for improving company performance.

3) That plan becomes even more tenuous if Hitchcock had truly "lost the room", as had been speculated by various sources. Replacing one well-liked guy who is saying what everyone else is thinking makes that guy a martyr, it doesn't miraculously change everyone else's minds.

Dbrownss

Jan 5, 2014
1)No one here knows to what extent (if any) Oshie was a disruptive force in the locker room, or what impact that had on team performance. That's all just fanbase speculation, at least partially fueled by a heaping side of attempted rationalization to justify what otherwise appears to be a relatively unjustifiable trade.

2) Assuming for the sake of argument that Oshie was some sort of significantly disruptive force, replacing a more competent employee who isn't always in lock-step with the company line with a less competent one who happens to be a "yes man" isn't exactly a fool-proof plan for improving company performance.

3) That plan becomes even more tenuous if Hitchcock had truly "lost the room", as had been speculated by various sources. Replacing one well-liked guy who is saying what everyone else is thinking makes that guy a martyr, it doesn't miraculously change everyone else's minds.

So basically it boils down to speculation.... you hate the trade and won't approach it with an open mind, which is fine.

Oshie isn't a martyr. Your assuming what Oshie said is what everyone else is thinking. Which is just like me assuming Oshie asked for a trade (those things don't have to be made public). You can still be a well liked guy but a detriment to the team if your not on board with anyone else

You can try and paint this to be the dagger that that killed the Blues all you want but removing Oshie and replacing him with Brouwer hasn't tanked the team, did it improve the team? No...not really but for the playoffs it doesn't matter. We can all agree the perceived value was trash but until something surfaces that a better deal was available, it's just an endless debate.

I'm done with this mind numbing argument.

2 Minute Minor

Hi Keeba!
Jun 3, 2008
Temple, Texas
1) No one here knows to what extent (if any) Oshie was a disruptive force in the locker room, or what impact that had on team performance. That's all just fanbase speculation, at least partially fueled by a heaping side of attempted rationalization to justify what otherwise appears to be a relatively unjustifiable trade.

Well, there is the performance the rest of this season after the trade to point that this is not really a likely scenario. I think the more time goes by with the way the team has performed this year points more toward Oshie (not Hitch) being the problem (if there was one at all).

I'd love to see a memoir from Armstrong where he delineates exactly what the issues were, what trades he was offered, and why he decided on what he did. I think we're never going to know the whole story.

EastonBlues22

Nov 25, 2003
RIP Fugu ϶(°o°)ϵ
So basically it boils down to speculation.... you hate the trade and won't approach it with an open mind, which is fine.
Claiming that my mind is closed because I don't find your arguments (or any of the arguments presented thus far by others) compelling is a bit underhanded, don't you think? It's not like the positions you guys have been taking are bastions of unassailable fact and logic.

Oshie isn't a martyr. Your assuming what Oshie said is what everyone else is thinking. Which is just like me assuming Oshie asked for a trade (those things don't have to be made public). You can still be a well liked guy but a detriment to the team if your not on board with anyone else
I'm not stating it as a fact...there was an important set of conditionals in there.

Its main purpose is to illustrate some of the tenuous suppositions and assumptions that this particular argument supporting the trade rests on. Arguing that the Brouwer/Oshie trade turned around the locker room (or might turn it around in the playoffs) and is thus a net positive for team performance assumes: 1) There was a significant locker room problem (presumably with Oshie either being the main or only antagonist). 2) That problem significantly affected the team's performance on the ice. 3) Swapping the two players "cured" whatever locker room problem there was. 4) That translates (or might translate) to improved team performance that outweighs whatever negative there is from downgrading from Oshie to Brouwer, thus ending up as a net positive for the team.

We have no idea if #1 is true. Even if it was, we have no tangible proof or evidence that #2 is true. Even if it was, we can't prove that #3 is true because that's not the only roster change that was made. Even if we assume that it is, or that it's a "significant" contributor, there's no quantifiable way to weigh it against #4.

Do you not see the problem with this? People have set up a potential justification (or rationalization) that's unassailable now because it's completely speculative, and that can be viewed/claimed as "validated" by its proponents simply by the Blues winning a playoff series. ("Logic" there being the team wasn't good enough to win with Oshie but it won with Brouwer, thus this team with Brouwer > this team with Oshie and #4 must be true, ergo the underlying assumptions are true as well.)

The time to point out the logical inconsistencies and generally poor nature of this argument is now, before whatever outcome happens confounds the issue. Good results don't justify bad processes in real life, but they commonly do on the internet.

You can try and paint this to be the dagger that that killed the Blues all you want but removing Oshie and replacing him with Brouwer hasn't tanked the team, did it improve the team? No...not really but for the playoffs it doesn't matter. We can all agree the perceived value was trash but until something surfaces that a better deal was available, it's just an endless debate.
When have I ever said that the Blues are dead? What's more, if you've been paying attention to me at all, you know that I think the coach (as possibly GM) is the biggest thing holding this team back...not the talent on the roster.

I've never tried to paint this trade as anything other than what it is...a talent downgrade on the roster, without enough value in futures compensation to justify the downgrade. I'll stop arguing that POV when people stop proposing (what I perceive to be bad) arguments that attempt to justify the move.

KingBran

Three Eyed Raven
Apr 24, 2014
I have no idea how to interpret the poll question, but there's no question in my mind that I'd rather have Oshie than Brouwer on this team.

Exactly my thoughts.

How is this a yes/no question?
Blues better without or with Oshie?

I think the Blues were a better team last season. Seem to be a bit better defensively this season with basically the same core + Parayko (and Edmundson some games) but our O looked a lot better with Oshie. Stastny has stepped it up though so that's good.

However I don't know how to vote.

Falco Lombardi

Nov 17, 2011
St. Louis, MO
Brouwer and Oshie are the same player in the postseason. We added a third and a decent goalie prospect. Plus we don't have to deal with Oshie's annoying fans. I'd say win-win.

Now we still need a top 6 RW, but we needed one of those come playoff time anyway.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad