Speculation: Oshie factor?

Itsnotatrap

Oct 6, 2013
If you can detach yourself emotionally from all this, and just look at it on its face, seeing Pheonix Copley hold the Cup last is bitter up front, but has a good, quality comedic finish.

Reactions: stl76 and olli

Captain Creampuff

Sep 10, 2012
Didn't like the trade when it happened. The fact that we ended up with NOTHING from the Oshie trade is one of Army's biggest mistakes in his tenure.

Reactions: LogosBlue

wannabebluesplayer

Apr 16, 2012
I felt myself fist pumping when Eller scored. Happy Ovi got his Cup. Oshie has become a much matured NHL player that I don't think he becomes if he stays with St. Louis. Still, it's a shame. He should have won it here.

Note Worthy

History Made
Oct 26, 2011
St. Louis, MO
I'm not an Army hater but he didn't do well in the Oshie trade at all. Even JR said as much just a few days ago when he was on The Turn. He said Oshie was the one that Army was hell bent on moving.

TK 421

Barbashev eats babies pass it on
Sep 12, 2007
Happy for Oshie and the Caps. So glad Vegas didn't win their 1st year in the league.

Why the hand wringing over Oshie winning somewhere else? It's done and over with and we have plenty of reasons to be excited by the coming weeks.

67Blues

Got it for Bobby
Mar 22, 2013
Section 111
I'm excited that another team won its first Cup. It means that there is hope for us Blues fans. I'm giving it another 30 years and if we don't win it by then, I'll be in my mid 80s and probably more concerned with hitting my drool cup than a Stanley Cup.

Reactions: Ranksu

Ranksu

Crotch Academy ftw
Sponsor
Apr 28, 2014
Lapland
I'm excited that another team won its first Cup. It means that there is hope for us Blues fans. I'm giving it another 30 years and if we don't win it by then, I'll be in my mid 80s and probably more concerned with hitting my drool cup than a Stanley Cup.

And @Robb_K is 110 years old then. :vhappy:

Brian39

Apr 24, 2014
Didn't like the trade when it happened. The fact that we ended up with NOTHING from the Oshie trade is one of Army's biggest mistakes in his tenure.

I agree that it was among the worst trades Army has made. With that said, we did use the 3rd round pick we got in that trade to trade up a couple spots to select Thompson. We also got the guy who scored a game 7 winner against the Hawks in the playoffs on the road to the Conference Final. Again, I'm not a huge fan of the trade, but Brouwer was very good in the playoffs that year and I do think that he helped Fabbri's transition in to the NHL. No assets are left, but that trade objectively helped us the next season, which was the most successful season the Blues have had in decades. I don't buy the argument that Oshie would have put up 13 points in 20 playoff games that year had we not made the trade considering his highest playoff point total with us was 3.

We have more prospects than we can realistically get into our team moving forward and some of them are going to get traded. With that in mind, I'm not sure that the Oshie trade resulting in zero assets is a huge deal. I'm certainly happy we didn't overpay Brouwer just to keep an asset from that trade and I'm okay with the fact that all we got from Oshie was short term help. We should have gotten more though.

Robb_K

Apr 26, 2007
NordHolandNethrlands
But he looks like he comes from hardy stock, so I wouldn't rule that out. :laugh:
I should make it to 105, if I remember to ride my bike perpendicular to the tram tracks when it is raining or sleeting, and I'm not murdered for making an offensive wisecrack! :naughty: But, even if I make it to 110, I might be too senile to remember who The Blues are. Hockey? What's that? :eek: Already, I can't remember on which thread I am typing.

Reactions: stl76 and 67Blues

bluetuned

Mar 1, 2013
Chicago
I wasn't a huge fan of the trade at the time. I was fine with moving Oshie, but I thought the return was pretty bad. Brouwer was a surprisingly natural fit for the one season, and we got a memorable playoff run with him pitching in some clutch goals. But only getting Copley and a 3rd as far as picks and prospects was bad then, and only looks worse now. Knowing that Copley proved to be nothing for us and the 3rd got flipped back to Washington.... blah. We basically got 1 year of Troy Brouwer and moved up 3 spots in the draft for 2 seasons of TJ Oshie. No way to spin that return in a positive light.

It doesn't help that neither of the Blues heir apparent RWs from the time (Jaskin & Rattie) ever solidified themselves as reliable NHL scorers. Jaskin scored at a 20 goal pace the season prior to the Oshie trade. I have to think that made the decision to move Oshie a lot easier. If Jaskin had continued that scoring trend we wouldn't have felt the loss as much. He can fill in the Top 9 and he's an effective energy guy, but his offense just never developed.

I'm thrilled for Oshie getting the Cup. Well deserved on the ice. It appears that he matured a bit as a player with them. He brought the physicality back to his game that had diminished in his last few years with the Blues. And I don't get the sense that he butted heads with Trotz the way he did with Hitch, probably in part because he was joining a team with an established leadership group. In St. Louis it built up around him, and he was a fan favorite, so he probably felt more free to push back on the coach.

Last edited:

Mar 6, 2012
YEah, I hated that trade at the time and I still hate it. I'm okay with trading anyone if the return is right, and we got a terrible return for Oshie. That trade made no sense at all unless he had major locker room or coach issues.

I was happy for Oshie to win. Very glad to see the Capitals get the monkey off their back.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
No animosity, really happy to see Ovi and co. win it all. It's just another example in a long line of examples of the Blues front office doing what it wants to do instead of doing what needs to be done. So far out of touch with today's hockey and hockey in general that it can't help but make you mad.

GoldenSeal

Believe In The Note
Dec 1, 2013
Out West
ROR is better than Oshie's best on his bad day. Miss Oshie but I can't compare the past with the past, we're beyond that, can only compare then with now and it feels like the overall theme this year is that the Blues players haven't given up but the front office has given up on them.

cardinalnation

Mar 4, 2012
Oshie trade was never about hockey reasons. It's not like the Blues thought Gee what do we have to do to get Troy Brouwer on our roster. In my opinion whatever the situation was it just became untenable. Blues would have loved to keep T.J but sometimes in sports as in life things happen that make parting ways the best option. The return was pretty poor though and you would think Army could have done better. I also agree that being with higher end talent really helped him blossom in Washington. Probably wasn't going to happen here. We very well could be in the same situation this year considering it is no secret Blues would like to make a trade. This is the reason whatever problems there may be off the ice will not be made public. Nor should they. It just weakens Armstrong's position.

Celtic Note

Living the dream
Dec 22, 2006
Oshie won a Cup, so obviously he was a big enough problem that we would never win a Cup with him. Just like ROR will never win a Cup because of locker room “reasons”.

Yes I know that some people can be toxic. Maybe some are Blues. But I think the narrative has been and continues to be overblown.

Reactions: Majorityof1

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad