Oshawa Generals 2019 Offseason Thread

Status
Not open for further replies.

Naz

Nov 25, 2008
Everywhere
Way to go Commisso :thumbu: love cheering for the underdog but I don't think you can call guelph underdogs.

Living Vicariously

Mar 15, 2014
Fergus
Way to go Commisso :thumbu: love cheering for the underdog but I don't think you can call guelph underdogs.

Commisso was a force role player this year and particularly in the playoffs - workhorse that has no quit in him - was very happy to have him on this ride!

Generalsupdates

@GeneralsUpdates on Twitter
Sep 4, 2017
Watching Nick Suzuki absolutely go off in this playoffs (and Durzi to a lesser extent) just reminds me how great of a deadline Roger Hunt had

OS return for Suzuki+Durzi package:
-2001 born B- OHL prospect (Woolley)
-2000 born B- OHL prospect (Kirwin)
-1998 born D- OHL prospect (Poirier)
-one 2nd
-one 3rd
-one 4th

OSH return for Studnicka+Brassard package:
-2002 born A- OHL prospect (Moore)
-three 2nds
-three 3rds

Hunt packaged a similar but slightly less talented F than Suzuki, a very much less talented D than Durzi yet got back 2 more 2nds, 2 more 3rds and easily the best and youngest prospect

Reactions: LR8

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
You think they’ll leave both Harrison and Michaud at their natural C positions or will they put one of them on the wing? I could see Harrison as #2/3 C and Michaud as #3/4 C

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
You think they’ll leave both Harrison and Michaud at their natural C positions or will they put one of them on the wing? I could see Harrison as #2/3 C and Michaud as #3/4 C

My current guess at the lineup (with Eggenberger in it) would be:

F Lines:
Antropov-McShane-Noel
Eggenberger(OA)-Neumann(OA)-Tullio
Robinson-MacLean(OA)-Gagnier
Michaud-Harrison-Drouin
Others: McKinney

D Pairings:
Brewer-Moore
Ennis-Vallati
Gross-?

G:
Paputsakis
Sbrocca

The import draft will be telling. I think if Eggenberger is coming back we could see them move on from Gross, but if Eggenberger is gone, then keep Gross and replace Eggenberger

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
I see the Gens taking a goalie if an 'elite' one is available and drop Eggenberger who would take two roles... overager and import, whereas Gross does not.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
I see the Gens taking a goalie if an 'elite' one is available and drop Eggenberger who would take two roles... overager and import, whereas Gross does not.

Define elite. If you mean a superstar like UPL, there won't be one available. The 2 routes they could go if they go import goalie is an above average starter like Maksim Zhukov (Barrie pick, although it didn't workout with him) or younger future star goalie hoping he's a star for the 2021 potential Mem Cup team

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Why will there not be a UPL level goalie available? Someone close , a 19 or 20 year old who would be here to lead in the 20-21 season would be ideal.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Why will there not be a UPL level goalie available? Someone close , a 19 or 20 year old who would be here to lead in the 20-21 season would be ideal.

Because the Gens will be picking 44th I believe and people of UPL's talent level usually only come once a draft and they don't make it out of the top 5

UPL took a below average team and made them in to a home ice advantage team in the playoffs. Those guys don't grow on trees

Reactions: GeneralConversation

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Let’s look at this logically. If Keyser is elite (of course he is) he’s leaving before his last year. Same goes for DePietro and UPL if you need other examples. Now if you want this goalie to be elite like them than they need to peak at the year before overage. For the 20/21 that goalie would have to be born in 2001 or later. So we have an 02 and 01 right now. Even if they don’t go on to be elite, the need for a goalie this year is not a priority. The 01/02 crop will show their worth this upcoming season and at that point we can go after one. The import draft should be a legit prospect 17 yr old stud D or F that they can convince to play for 2 years. Just my thoughts. Hope my math is correct, if not please correct me.

Jaycro

Sep 12, 2016
Possibilities? Roope Taponen (Finland), Arturs Silovs (USSR??), Matteus Ward (Sweden)?:sarcasm:

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
Yes all 01’s but only Ward has shown skills at a high level. As GeneralUpdates suggested, The pool isn’t all that deep. It won’t be easy to get better than what you see in Ontario through that draft.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
Possibilities? Roope Taponen (Finland), Arturs Silovs (USSR??), Matteus Ward (Sweden)?:sarcasm:

I have no idea if he's even considering coming to North America, but Yarolsav Askarov is going to be an absolute stud. '02 goalie out of Russia

Samuel Hlavaj is another good option. '01 goalie who's about to be drafted this coming draft. He's already in North America too. Likely won't still be there at 44 though

OshawaFan2018

Nov 26, 2018
I have no idea if he's even considering coming to North America, but Yarolsav Askarov is going to be an absolute stud. '02 goalie out of Russia

Samuel Hlavaj is another good option. '01 goalie who's about to be drafted this coming draft. He's already in North America too. Likely won't still be there at 44 though

When is the import draft again ?

TuckerFan1

Jul 14, 2012
Oshawa
Congratulations to DJ Smith on being named head coach of the Ottawa Senators :thumbu:

Not thrilled to see DJ go to a divisional rival. Lots of Leafs fans are gonna see just how valuable he is.

Gens alumni Paul McFarland is now with the Leafs. I bet DJ wanted him as one of his assistants in Ottawa. Dubas and co. scooped him up quick.

Generalsupdates

Sep 4, 2017
As I speculated would happen, Kai Edmonds has asked for a trade out of Barrie with Jet Greaves being the clear #1 going forward. Could see the Gens getting him. Likely wouldn't cost a ton (3rd or 4th?) but could be your starting goalie for 2 years

Reactions: OshawaFan2018

GeneralConversation

Nov 1, 2018
His stats are only slightly better than Hughes' were.
Numbers are only one way to judge. Goalie numbers can very and you shouldn’t use them as the sole measure of skill and ability. But if the Colts aren’t considering him as #1a then we should wonder why. If both goalies are #1 capable then they should fight for that spot. Labeling him #2 is an alarm...especially preseason.

Status
Not open for further replies.

Ad

Upcoming events

Ad

Ad